Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Online Degree vs Online Cert's?

Reply
Thread Tools

Online Degree vs Online Cert's?

 
 
MarkInOregon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2005
Hey people!
Question for you all:

What do you think of online Degrees from Accredited
Universities? I'm not talking about Degree mills here,
from real colleges?

I know you can "buy" a degree as well as buy a Cert.

Ive been posting on various message boards looking for any
feedback and thoughts about on-line degrees, would
appreciate your thoughts positive or negative.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Syncme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2005
"MarkInOregon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:188201c5150f$ca47e810$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey people!
> Question for you all:
>
> What do you think of online Degrees from Accredited
> Universities? I'm not talking about Degree mills here,
> from real colleges?
>
> I know you can "buy" a degree as well as buy a Cert.
>
> Ive been posting on various message boards looking for any
> feedback and thoughts about on-line degrees, would
> appreciate your thoughts positive or negative.


As long as it involves studying and the final result is knowing the subject.
Where you study is irrelevant.
Some, however may find it useful to be in a classroom setting with a trainer
to ask questions and be able to focus better.
Syncme


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rowdy Yates
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2005
"Syncme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> As long as it involves studying and the final result is knowing the
> subject. Where you study is irrelevant.
> Some, however may find it useful to be in a classroom setting with a
> trainer to ask questions and be able to focus better.
> Syncme


untrue - my better half did her Masters via the new online method at her
university. she loved it. no driving. no parking. no group assignemnt
meetings. it was all online. and still achieved it's goal.

--
Rowdy Yates, MCNGP #39
http://www.mcngp.com/
"Shhhh... Do you smell that? I think is't Albanian Goat Smegma!"
http://www.geocities.com/rowdy_yates_mcngp/
http://www.geocities.com/rowdy_yates_mcngp/google.gif
 
Reply With Quote
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2005
>As long as it involves studying and the final result is
knowing the subject.
>Where you study is irrelevant.
>Some, however may find it useful to be in a classroom

setting with a trainer
>to ask questions and be able to focus better.
>Syncme



I totally agree! I have taught myself many things just
using books and on-line reference material so, I'm well
acquainted with not being in a classroom setting to learn
what I want.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Kat
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2005

> untrue - my better half did her Masters via the new online method at her
> university. she loved it. no driving. no parking. no group assignemnt
> meetings. it was all online. and still achieved it's goal.
>
> --
> Rowdy Yates, MCNGP #39


Good for her Rowdy-

I'm also working toward my degree, and my school offers online versions for
some of the courses. Whnever that option is available, I take it. Commuting
to class a couple evenings a week- not something I like doing.

Also, as long as the schools reputable/certified, it doesn;t make a
difference if the degree was online or in class. The more appropriate
question is this- Is it better to have a degree or a cert. Depends on what
you want it for. But in general, a 4 year degree is going to be worth a hell
of a lot more than a 7 test certification which people can get from a boot
camp in 2 weeks.

IMHO

--
KAT , MCNGP #2
http://www.mcngp.com/


 
Reply With Quote
 
MarkInOregon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2005
>untrue - my better half did her Masters via the new
online method at her
>university. she loved it. no driving. no parking. no

group assignemnt
>meetings. it was all online. and still achieved it's

goal.
>



Exactly!! Just like most here, getting the training books,
sitting down at the Comp and work through them, take a
test, not much different really, Except with on-line
learning you get to interact via live chats and
discussions with your fellow students.

The question is, Are employers accepting this medium as a
viable Degree as oppsossed to a "brick and mortar" college?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tron2005
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2005
I have my MCSE certifications and an Associates degree with a different
major. I make more money than some, but not all of my fellow co-workers who
have a B.A. degree. I also don't have the 30,000 dollars in debt. And
then there are the co-workers and bosses here that have only a High School
degree and make more money than us all.



<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0ff101c5151c$8bb30500$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >As long as it involves studying and the final result is

> knowing the subject.
>>Where you study is irrelevant.
>>Some, however may find it useful to be in a classroom

> setting with a trainer
>>to ask questions and be able to focus better.
>>Syncme

>
>
> I totally agree! I have taught myself many things just
> using books and on-line reference material so, I'm well
> acquainted with not being in a classroom setting to learn
> what I want.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Kat
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2005

"Tron2005" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message And
> then there are the co-workers and bosses here that have only a High School
> degree and make more money than us all.


It's the Executive Decision Model- if theres someone you don't like and you
can't fire them (they're in a union, say), yet you don't want to work with
them- Promote them!

<rant>I hate my job. Politics suck. And I really hate that 30% of the
employees in my IT dept, mostly the management, were hired cause they were
friends of someone. The job description requires a BA in Info Tech, 7 years
experience, etc. And yet, our call center manager is a former bra salesman.
Seriously. </rant>

--
KAT, MCNGP #29
http://www.mcngp.com/


 
Reply With Quote
 
Briscobar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2005
In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Kat <(E-Mail Removed)> rambled:
>
> --
> KAT , MCNGP #2
> http://www.mcngp.com/


#2?


--

KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

Briscobar AT gmail DOT com

Please to be www.mcngp.com visits!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Kat
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2005
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> Kat <(E-Mail Removed)> rambled:
> >
> > --
> > KAT , MCNGP #29
> > http://www.mcngp.com/

>
> #29?
>


> Briscobar AT gmail DOT com


IFYPFY


--

KAT, MCNGP #29
http://www.mcngp.com/

If everyone in the world sent me just 1 penny, I'd be, like, a millionaire
or something.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 year AAS degree (w/certs) vs. 4 year CIS degree smolderingwick Microsoft Certification 0 02-06-2011 04:44 PM
converting MCSE degree to university degree mcp farahani MCSE 2 11-13-2009 06:53 PM
The Convenience of Online Learning. The Benefits of a Respected Degree.Try Ellis College for Free. KU C++ 0 07-21-2007 09:55 PM
Degree Online Information Greg Computer Support 0 03-30-2007 02:46 AM
Counting down an integer vector from the highest degree (111) to the lowest degree (000) Matt Chwastek C++ 6 11-20-2006 10:51 PM



Advertisments