Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon EOS 400D & Nikon D40x : EOS EF lenses

Canon EOS 400D & Nikon D40x : EOS EF lenses

Its time to trade in my film EOS500 35mm SLR. Im looking at the
EOS400D and the D40x. From what I've read, I suspect the D40x just has
the edge.

I'm wondering whether I could usefully re-use my EOS lenses (EF
35-80mm & EF 80-200mm) with the EOS 400D and save money by just buying
the digital body?

Alternatively, can I re-use these lenses with the Nikon D40x - is
there a converter?

Thanks

Bhogi

M wrote:
> Its time to trade in my film EOS500 35mm SLR. Im looking at the
> EOS400D and the D40x. From what I've read, I suspect the D40x just has
> the edge.
>
> I'm wondering whether I could usefully re-use my EOS lenses (EF
> 35-80mm & EF 80-200mm) with the EOS 400D and save money by just buying
> the digital body?
>
> Alternatively, can I re-use these lenses with the Nikon D40x - is
> there a converter?
>
> Thanks

I'd go with a kit 400d + EF-S 18-55. The quality of the kit lens is
comparable to 80-200 (f4.5-5.6?) and it's realy inexpensive. You won't
be using 35-80 at all I think (I had the same starting point!), and
the 80-200 will be quite useful. I'd also consider buying 50mm f1.8
too, it's the most inexpensive of all lenses, a great value, and a
great portrait lens on a 400d.
You can't use EF lenses on Nikon.

Robert Coe

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 02:15:59 -0700, Bhogi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: M wrote:
: > Its time to trade in my film EOS500 35mm SLR. Im looking at the
: > EOS400D and the D40x. From what I've read, I suspect the D40x just has
: > the edge.
: >
:
: I'd go with a kit 400d + EF-S 18-55. The quality of the kit lens is
: comparable to 80-200 (f4.5-5.6?) and it's realy inexpensive. You won't
: be using 35-80 at all I think (I had the same starting point!), and
: the 80-200 will be quite useful. I'd also consider buying 50mm f1.8
: too, it's the most inexpensive of all lenses, a great value, and a
: great portrait lens on a 400d.
: You can't use EF lenses on Nikon.

Your two film camera lenses are both telephotos on a 400D, so you would want
to acquire a "primary" zoom lens (mild WA to mild tele). I'd suggest that in
lieu of the kit lens you consider the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8. It's more expensive,
but you'd expect to use it a lot. It maintains F2.8 over its entire zoom
range, which is unusual in a lens in its price range. I've been happy with
mine, which I was talked into buying by a colleague at work who has the
equivalent Sigma lens for his Nikon. And there's now an improved version with
macro capability (down to 7.5 in., IIRC).

Bob

Matt Ion

M wrote:
> Its time to trade in my film EOS500 35mm SLR. Im looking at the
> EOS400D and the D40x. From what I've read, I suspect the D40x just has
> the edge.
>
> I'm wondering whether I could usefully re-use my EOS lenses (EF
> 35-80mm & EF 80-200mm) with the EOS 400D and save money by just buying
> the digital body?
>
> Alternatively, can I re-use these lenses with the Nikon D40x - is
> there a converter?

Lot of suggestions of other lenses, but the short answer is, yes, your
existing EOS lenses will work on the 400D. Any EF-mount lens will work
on any EOS camera.

Neil Harrington

"M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Its time to trade in my film EOS500 35mm SLR. Im looking at the
> EOS400D and the D40x. From what I've read, I suspect the D40x just has
> the edge.
>
> I'm wondering whether I could usefully re-use my EOS lenses (EF
> 35-80mm & EF 80-200mm) with the EOS 400D and save money by just buying
> the digital body?
>
> Alternatively, can I re-use these lenses with the Nikon D40x - is
> there a converter?

Since your existing Canon lenses are only two in number, and apparently
quite inexpensive ones, I'd trade 'em both in with the camera (or sell the
whole kit on eBay) and buy a D40 or D40x with comparable Nikkor lenses,
which are also inexpensive. For various reasons I don't think a converter
would be at all practicable (if even possible) in your case.

Neil