Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Using an Ethernet switch under XP

Using an Ethernet switch under XP

=?Utf-8?B?QXVzc2llLVJlZw==?=

I recently purchased an Ethernet switch to allow me to switch between my
Vista PC and my XP PC. I have an ADSL ISP when I connect to the internet
directly from either of my PCs I get a data transfer of aprox. 1.4 megabits.
If I connect both PCs to the Modem via the new switch, I still get data
transfer rate of 1.4 megabits, but only from my Vista PC. From the XP PC I am
lucky to get data transfer rates of 56k.Can you offer any explanation of why
this should be the case. No changes are made to either PC during this
exercise and the XP PC has the problem whether the Vista PC is connected the
switch or not. I tried to send this entry from my XP PC but the transmission
of the message never completed so I have had to move to the VIsta Pc to send
it off. Hoping some one can solve my problem for me. Aussie-Reg

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
The share correctly one Internet connection between few computers you need a
Routing Device, switch is Not a Routing device..
The content of the following links will provide you with a basic tutorial
about Sharing Internet connection; it is short and to the point. The pages
were written by me ages ago. Ignore the prices, and the specific choice of
hardware, stick with the principles they are still the same.
Basic Options for Internet Connection Sharing -
http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.aspx?i=105
Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...? -
http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.aspx?i=48
What do I need for wireless networking? -
http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.aspx?i=122
The whole thing should look like this,
http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
Jack (MVP-Networking).