Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Belkin FireWire 800 F5U623-APL Card in Windows x64

Belkin FireWire 800 F5U623-APL Card in Windows x64

Jim

I want to install a Belkin FireWire 800 F5U623-APL card in my Tyan
K8WE (S2895) motherboard. From the looks of the card on the Belkin
site, it is a 64-bit card, and it should work in a PCI-X slot.
However, Belkin does *not* indicate support for Windows x64 on their
website. Belkin *does* report that their card has a Texas Instruments
1394B chip on it, however.

Can I use the free Unibrain FireWire 800 driver

http://www.unibrain.com/download/download.asp

instead of the Belkin driver and get x64 support for the card?

Obviously I want to get full FireWire 800 throughput if I possibly
can. The new Maxtor One Touch III drives come with FireWire 800
support and a 750 GB drive is currently on sale at J&R for only
$230.00.

Thank you!

Jim

Theo

You will need to find out if it's for the same ship as
Belkin uses. If not it probably will not work.

Jim wrote:
> I want to install a Belkin FireWire 800 F5U623-APL card in my Tyan
> K8WE (S2895) motherboard. From the looks of the card on the Belkin
> site, it is a 64-bit card, and it should work in a PCI-X slot.
> However, Belkin does *not* indicate support for Windows x64 on their
> website. Belkin *does* report that their card has a Texas Instruments
> 1394B chip on it, however.
>
> Can I use the free Unibrain FireWire 800 driver
>
> http://www.unibrain.com/download/download.asp
>
> instead of the Belkin driver and get x64 support for the card?
>
> Obviously I want to get full FireWire 800 throughput if I possibly
> can. The new Maxtor One Touch III drives come with FireWire 800
> support and a 750 GB drive is currently on sale at J&R for only
> $230.00.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Jim

Jim

On Jun 24, 7:32 am, Theo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You will need to find out if it's for the same ship as
> Belkin uses. If not it probably will not work.

It's the same Texas Instruments 1394B chip. That's why I was
wondering whether the Unibrain drivers are "universal" 1394B drivers.
I have no experience with Unibrain.

Thanks!

Jim

Theo

If it the same chip, it won't hurt to try the driver.

Jim wrote:
> On Jun 24, 7:32 am, Theo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> You will need to find out if it's for the same ship as
>> Belkin uses. If not it probably will not work.

> It's the same Texas Instruments 1394B chip. That's why I was
> wondering whether the Unibrain drivers are "universal" 1394B drivers.
> I have no experience with Unibrain.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jim

Jim

On Jun 24, 3:54 pm, Theo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If it the same chip, it won't hurt to try the driver.

I installed the Belkin FireWire 800 card with the Unibrain driver, and
it appears to be working.

http://www.unibrain.com/download/download.asp

Belkin was *completely wrong* about the card, and it *is* a PCI-X, 64-
bit card. It also has a 12 volt power connector. I assume it has to
be connected to the power supply for devices which draw power, but the
manual says nothing about that.

Device Manager looks fine, and I do have a 64-bit driver installed

It never ceases to amaze me how little these complanies know about
their own products!

Jim

Theo

Glad to hear the driver worked for you. That's how I
usually find out whether one that might be compatible works
or not. Occasionally a vendor will customize the
installation program to prevent it from working with another
brand, but even then you can sometimes extract the actual
drivers and install them. I have even modified the .INF
file to enable installation although this sometimes takes a
bit of research to find the correct entries.

Jim wrote:
> On Jun 24, 3:54 pm, Theo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> If it the same chip, it won't hurt to try the driver.

> I installed the Belkin FireWire 800 card with the Unibrain driver, and
> it appears to be working.
>
> http://www.unibrain.com/download/download.asp
>
> Belkin was *completely wrong* about the card, and it *is* a PCI-X, 64-
> bit card. It also has a 12 volt power connector. I assume it has to
> be connected to the power supply for devices which draw power, but the
> manual says nothing about that.
>
> Device Manager looks fine, and I do have a 64-bit driver installed
>
> It never ceases to amaze me how little these companies know about
> their own products!
>
> Jim

Jim

On Jun 28, 3:57 pm, Theo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Glad to hear the driver worked for you. That's how I
> usually find out whether one that might be compatible works
> or not. Occasionally a vendor will customize the
> installation program to prevent it from working with another
> brand, but even then you can sometimes extract the actual
> drivers and install them. I have even modified the .INF
> file to enable installation although this sometimes takes a
> bit of research to find the correct entries.

I spoke too soon! I decided that once I had the Belkin FireWire 800
card up and running with the Unibrain drivers, I needed to have a
FireWire 800 device to test it out. I bought a Lexar Media FireWire
800 CompactFlash reader. Windows x64 does not detect it. Of course,
there are no drivers with the card reader. The Belkin FireWire 800
card is fine in Device Manager, but Windows x64 is not detecting the
Lexar Media drive.

I'm sure that neither Belkin nor Unibrain will support this problem.
Perhaps Lexar Media will care?

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Jim

Jim

I solved the problem.

The Lexar drive is *only* recognized when it has a CompactFlash card
*in* the drive. The Unibrain drivers *do* work in x64, and they do
support the Lexar Card Reader, but you *must* have a card in the
drive.

I received all sorts of mis-information from Lexar.

I hope this helps someone else!

Jim