Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > HTTP connection library in C ??

HTTP connection library in C ??

dipen chaudhary

hello all ..
I wish to know about HTTP connection library in C .. Is there any
library which can establish HTTP connections for my application and
read the file returned from the server ? I dont wanna use sockets as
it is time consuming ...
In java I can do that by java.net.URL class, Is there any such
facility in C even if its some external library and not a standard
library ...
Thanks for listening , I will be waiting in anticipation
dipen

Sharath

On Jun 24, 8:37 am, dipen chaudhary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> hello all ..
> I wish to know about HTTP connection library in C .. Is there any
> library which can establish HTTP connections for my application and
> read the file returned from the server ? I dont wanna use sockets as
> it is time consuming ...
> In java I can do that by java.net.URL class, Is there any such
> facility in C even if its some external library and not a standard
> library ...
> Thanks for listening , I will be waiting in anticipation
> dipen

There are no standard libraries in C for that. You will have
to ask in the newsgroup meant for the compiler/platform you're using.

-Sharath

comp.lang.c FAQs: http://c-faq.com
Orkut C FAQs: http://prokutfaq.byethost15.com/CFAQ

dipen chaudhary

On Jun 24, 8:37 am, dipen chaudhary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> hello all ..
> I wish to know about HTTP connection library in C .. Is there any
> library which can establish HTTP connections for my application and
> read the file returned from the server ? I dont wanna use sockets as
> it is time consuming ...
> In java I can do that by java.net.URL class, Is there any such
> facility in C even if its some external library and not a standard
> library ...
> Thanks for listening , I will be waiting in anticipation
> dipen

I found libwww on google code search .. But I think Its very broad for
my use .. Any customization possible ? I dont need all mysql support

Ian Collins

dipen chaudhary wrote:
> hello all ..
> I wish to know about HTTP connection library in C .. Is there any
> library which can establish HTTP connections for my application and
> read the file returned from the server ? I dont wanna use sockets as
> it is time consuming ...

While OT here, all you require is a thin layer over sockets to do what
you want to do. A good learning exercise.

> In java I can do that by java.net.URL class, Is there any such
> facility in C even if its some external library and not a standard
> library ...

You'd have to ask in a group for you platform.

--
Ian Collins.

jacob navia

dipen chaudhary wrote:
> hello all ..
> I wish to know about HTTP connection library in C .. Is there any
> library which can establish HTTP connections for my application and
> read the file returned from the server ? I dont wanna use sockets as
> it is time consuming ...
> In java I can do that by java.net.URL class, Is there any such
> facility in C even if its some external library and not a standard
> library ...
> Thanks for listening , I will be waiting in anticipation
> dipen

lcc-win32 proposes a network library with
GetHttpUrl(char *url,char *destination_file);

There are other similar functions for ftp.

dipen chaudhary

On Jun 24, 9:13 am, Ian Collins <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> dipen chaudhary wrote:
> > hello all ..
> > I wish to know about HTTP connection library in C .. Is there any
> > library which can establish HTTP connections for my application and
> > read the file returned from the server ? I dont wanna use sockets as
> > it is time consuming ...

> While OT here, all you require is a thin layer over sockets to do what
> you want to do. A good learning exercise.
>
> > In java I can do that by java.net.URL class, Is there any such
> > facility in C even if its some external library and not a standard
> > library ...

> You'd have to ask in a group for you platform.
>
> --
> Ian Collins.

My platform is linux .. Ok I will try there .. thanks for helping
though

dipen chaudhary

On Jun 24, 11:53 am, jacob navia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> dipen chaudhary wrote:
> > hello all ..
> > I wish to know about HTTP connection library in C .. Is there any
> > library which can establish HTTP connections for my application and
> > read the file returned from the server ? I dont wanna use sockets as
> > it is time consuming ...
> > In java I can do that by java.net.URL class, Is there any such
> > facility in C even if its some external library and not a standard
> > library ...
> > Thanks for listening , I will be waiting in anticipation
> > dipen

> lcc-win32 proposes a network library with
> GetHttpUrl(char *url,char *destination_file);
>
> There are other similar functions for ftp.

hi jacob ..
I think thats wot I want .. Do they have anything for linux ?
lcc-win32 looks like a windows library .. anyways I will find out ...
thanks ..

Bartholomew Simpson

dipen chaudhary wrote:

> hello all ..
> I wish to know about HTTP connection library in C .. Is there any
> library which can establish HTTP connections for my application and
> read the file returned from the server ? I dont wanna use sockets as
> it is time consuming ...
> In java I can do that by java.net.URL class, Is there any such
> facility in C even if its some external library and not a standard
> library ...
> Thanks for listening , I will be waiting in anticipation
> dipen

What you need is libcurl - look it up in Google

dipen chaudhary

On Jun 24, 6:14 pm, Bartholomew Simpson <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> dipen chaudhary wrote:
> > hello all ..
> > I wish to know about HTTP connection library in C .. Is there any
> > library which can establish HTTP connections for my application and
> > read the file returned from the server ? I dont wanna use sockets as
> > it is time consuming ...
> > In java I can do that by java.net.URL class, Is there any such
> > facility in C even if its some external library and not a standard
> > library ...
> > Thanks for listening , I will be waiting in anticipation
> > dipen

> What you need is libcurl - look it up in Google

thanks ..
I think thats wot I want ..

wrote:
> dipen chaudhary wrote:
> > hello all ..
> > I wish to know about HTTP connection library in C .. Is there any
> > library which can establish HTTP connections for my application and
> > read the file returned from the server ? I dont wanna use sockets as
> > it is time consuming ...
> > In java I can do that by java.net.URL class, Is there any such
> > facility in C even if its some external library and not a standard
> > library ...
> > Thanks for listening , I will be waiting in anticipation
> > dipen

> What you need is libcurl - look it up in Google

http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/competitors.html

this is a pool of simillar libraries .. thanks a lot