Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > question on SATA controllers and motherboards

question on SATA controllers and motherboards

CalvinHobbes

With the old PATA, the motherboard would typically come with two
controllers, each of which could control 2 devices on a cable. If one
device was a DVD reader/writer, then one could use 3 HDDs without having to
buy an extra controller card.

I was looking at the inside of a friend's computer recently, which has
SATA. The motherboard has two SATA controllers. But since a SATA
controller cable only supports one device, one can only have 2 SATA HDDs in
this system before having to buy an extra controller card.

(I didn't look that closely at the DVD writer. I suppose that was probably
connected to a separate PATA controller on the motherboard, and I suppose
one could buy a PATA HDD to be plugged into that controller as a 3rd HDD on
the system. It's just that in a newer system I would prefer to have all
SATA HDDs since that's the way the technology is going.)

I hate to lose the ability to have a 3rd HDD on a computer with SATA. I
know one can buy an extra controller card, but they are problematic in some
situations. For example, in some cases backup software has problems
copying to an HDD on a separate controller card. So I was wondering...

What is the norm these days for motherboards with SATA controllers - two or
three? Assuming they make motherboards with three SATA controllers, are
they mostly expensive / custom ones, or ones that would be found in
mainstream systems at stores?

Paul

CalvinHobbes wrote:
> With the old PATA, the motherboard would typically come with two
> controllers, each of which could control 2 devices on a cable. If one
> device was a DVD reader/writer, then one could use 3 HDDs without having to
> buy an extra controller card.
>
> I was looking at the inside of a friend's computer recently, which has
> SATA. The motherboard has two SATA controllers. But since a SATA
> controller cable only supports one device, one can only have 2 SATA HDDs in
> this system before having to buy an extra controller card.
>
> (I didn't look that closely at the DVD writer. I suppose that was probably
> connected to a separate PATA controller on the motherboard, and I suppose
> one could buy a PATA HDD to be plugged into that controller as a 3rd HDD on
> the system. It's just that in a newer system I would prefer to have all
> SATA HDDs since that's the way the technology is going.)
>
> I hate to lose the ability to have a 3rd HDD on a computer with SATA. I
> know one can buy an extra controller card, but they are problematic in some
> situations. For example, in some cases backup software has problems
> copying to an HDD on a separate controller card. So I was wondering...
>
> What is the norm these days for motherboards with SATA controllers - two or
> three? Assuming they make motherboards with three SATA controllers, are
> they mostly expensive / custom ones, or ones that would be found in
> mainstream systems at stores?

This one has 10 SATA ports. You can shop for whatever you want, in
terms of SATA count. The advanced search on the motherboard pages
here, has an item where you can select the number of SATA ports.

Paul