Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows XP media Center to Windows Ultimate 64-bit

Windows XP media Center to Windows Ultimate 64-bit

=?Utf-8?B?SGFybTc=?=

hello everyone.

My question comes due to my confussion. I have a system that is 64-bit
ready and want to upgrade a 64-bit version of Vista.

The product discriptions for Ultimate say on one page "you must have a
64-bit system running a 64-bit OS". Howerver,
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ons/64bit.mspx
states that you only need a capable system, this is also repeated at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/en-us states also that I can go from
32 to 64-bit, but I must do a clean install by selecting "custom" on the
upgrade disk.

Please help my confussion before I go out and spend the money for the
ultimate.

Thank you.

PvdG42

"Harm7" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hello everyone.
>
> My question comes due to my confussion. I have a system that is 64-bit
> ready and want to upgrade a 64-bit version of Vista.
>
> The product discriptions for Ultimate say on one page "you must have a
> 64-bit system running a 64-bit OS". Howerver,
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ons/64bit.mspx
> states that you only need a capable system, this is also repeated at
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/en-us states also that I can go
> from
> 32 to 64-bit, but I must do a clean install by selecting "custom" on the
> upgrade disk.
>
> Please help my confussion before I go out and spend the money for the
> ultimate.
>
> Thank you.

Both references are correct. You can legally use an Ultimate upgrade to go
from your 32 bit Media Center XP to 64 bit Ultimate, but the special
procedure described, where you boot from the Ultimate 64 bit media, choose
Custom, etc. must be followed because *technically* upgrading from and 32
bit Windows to 64 bit is impossible. You must start fresh.

You've probably already thought of this, but before "upgrading", you should
make sure that *signed* 64 bit Vista drivers are available for all your
hardware.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes, it's a bit confusing, even though correct. Your MCE qualifies you for
an "upgrade" version of Vista Ultimate. BUT, there is no way to do an actual
upgrade - you can't upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit, it has to be a completely
fresh, clean install. As in formatting the partition on which Vista 64-bit
will be installed. So yes, you can buy an upgrade to Ultimate. Which
includes both 64-bit and 32-bit DVDs in the retail package. But if you want
to install 64-bit Vista Ultimate, you'll need to follow the instructions
carefully because only a clean install is possible.

Finally, as PvdG42 correctly warns - make _sure_ you have all the drivers
you'll need first.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Harm7" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hello everyone.
>
> My question comes due to my confussion. I have a system that is 64-bit
> ready and want to upgrade a 64-bit version of Vista.
>
> The product discriptions for Ultimate say on one page "you must have a
> 64-bit system running a 64-bit OS". Howerver,
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ons/64bit.mspx
> states that you only need a capable system, this is also repeated at
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/en-us states also that I can go
> from
> 32 to 64-bit, but I must do a clean install by selecting "custom" on the
> upgrade disk.
>
> Please help my confussion before I go out and spend the money for the
> ultimate.
>
> Thank you.

=?Utf-8?B?SGFybTc=?=

Thank you Gentlemen for your help in clearing up my hesitation. I ordered
the ultimate this day. I was pretty sure about it, but really wanted to talk
with those that know the truth. Thanks again.