Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Can't acess network

Can't acess network

Al

I had a working wireless network all with XP Home sp2( 2 laptops 1 desktop)
with no router, sharing dial up. I shared files, printers, mapped drives and
so on with no problem.
I went to satellite internet with a LinksysWRT54G router, now all have
internet access with no problems. I cannot access shared files or printers.
I have run the wizards witout success. In network places\ view workgroup
computers, on desktop I can see "desktop" and it's shares but get an error
when I try to access a laptop I get this , \\compalap is not accessible.
You mmight not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The
network path was not found.
The laptops will not even show themselves. I CAN ping all systems from each
other. Seems to be a sharing thing. Windows firewall IS OFF for now. Using
automatic IP addressing, subnet's are all the same, workgroup is all MSHOME.
I'm missing something here but I can't see the forrest for the trees
anymore! Did I leave any info out?

Thanks, Al

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
settings,http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Basic XP -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>I had a working wireless network all with XP Home sp2( 2 laptops 1
>desktop) with no router, sharing dial up. I shared files, printers, mapped
>drives and so on with no problem.
> I went to satellite internet with a LinksysWRT54G router, now all have
> internet access with no problems. I cannot access shared files or
> printers. I have run the wizards witout success. In network places\ view
> workgroup computers, on desktop I can see "desktop" and it's shares but
> get an error when I try to access a laptop I get this , \\compalap is not
> accessible. You mmight not have permission to use this network resource.
> Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
> permissions. The network path was not found.
> The laptops will not even show themselves. I CAN ping all systems from
> each other. Seems to be a sharing thing. Windows firewall IS OFF for now.
> Using automatic IP addressing, subnet's are all the same, workgroup is all
> MSHOME. I'm missing something here but I can't see the forrest for the
> trees anymore! Did I leave any info out?
>
> Thanks, Al

Al

I should add the laptops report "MSHOME is not accessible.....
"Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>I had a working wireless network all with XP Home sp2( 2 laptops 1
>desktop) with no router, sharing dial up. I shared files, printers, mapped
>drives and so on with no problem.
> I went to satellite internet with a LinksysWRT54G router, now all have
> internet access with no problems. I cannot access shared files or
> printers. I have run the wizards witout success. In network places\ view
> workgroup computers, on desktop I can see "desktop" and it's shares but
> get an error when I try to access a laptop I get this , \\compalap is not
> accessible. You mmight not have permission to use this network resource.
> Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
> permissions. The network path was not found.
> The laptops will not even show themselves. I CAN ping all systems from
> each other. Seems to be a sharing thing. Windows firewall IS OFF for now.
> Using automatic IP addressing, subnet's are all the same, workgroup is all
> MSHOME. I'm missing something here but I can't see the forrest for the
> trees anymore! Did I leave any info out?
>
> Thanks, Al

Chuck

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 10:36:00 -0500, "Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I had a working wireless network all with XP Home sp2( 2 laptops 1 desktop)
>with no router, sharing dial up. I shared files, printers, mapped drives and
>so on with no problem.
> I went to satellite internet with a LinksysWRT54G router, now all have
>internet access with no problems. I cannot access shared files or printers.
>I have run the wizards witout success. In network places\ view workgroup
>computers, on desktop I can see "desktop" and it's shares but get an error
>when I try to access a laptop I get this , \\compalap is not accessible.
>You mmight not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
>administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The
>network path was not found.
> The laptops will not even show themselves. I CAN ping all systems from each
>other. Seems to be a sharing thing. Windows firewall IS OFF for now. Using
>automatic IP addressing, subnet's are all the same, workgroup is all MSHOME.
>I'm missing something here but I can't see the forrest for the trees
>anymore! Did I leave any info out?
>
>Thanks, Al

Al,

You have a problem with SMBs. Most likely cause is the NetBT setting, or a
personal firewall on one or more computers.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

And check name resolution on all computers.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/address-resolution-on-lan.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...on-on-lan.html

Or look at logs from "browstat status"and "ipconfig /all", from each computer,
and diagnose the problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow
instructions precisely (download browstat!):

Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.

L...

I had a problem with Zone Alarm blocking my wireless connection, even though
I had it shut down.
Uninstall/reinstalled was my solution.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...