Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Vista and wireless printing

Vista and wireless printing

=?Utf-8?B?R3JhbnQ=?=

I have a home network which consist of destop in back rm running XP connected
to wireless router by cat 5 cable and a magicolor 2300 printer connected to
same router through a network card. In the front of the house I had a
notebook running XP and connected to the internet through a network modem
supplied by Road runner. I do not want the back computer to have access to
the I-net.

I was able to print wireless and have access to the Inet throught the laptop
at the same time. Now, I had to replace the laptop with a laptop running
Vista home ed.
I was able to configure the home network fine (can ping the printer and
desktop), but can not print.

I can go to add printer, add printer not seen, type in the IP address, add
Vista drivers, and EVEN PRINT A TEST PAGE. After adding the printer and going
back to the properties, nothing will print, not even a test page (all things
are shared) With the printer open, you can see the que come up, but just for
a millisecond then vanishes. I have set up numerous networks, including my
office, but after 30 hours of work, I have no solution. Tried 2 different
routers, same result (likely not the router). I can share files between the
two computers. And yes if you try to share the printer through the back
computer, same result (takes 10x longer). And yes I can print to the network
printer with the desktop computer.

Also, Vista only allows to run one network at a time. Is there a way to run
the home network and aslo have the notebook pluged into the WAN?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
I am not familiar with the Magicolor per-se but in most cases Network
printers has to be add to computer but installing and configuring the
original printer utility that come with the printer. It has to be done on
every computer.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Grant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a home network which consist of destop in back rm running XP
>connected
> to wireless router by cat 5 cable and a magicolor 2300 printer connected
> same router through a network card. In the front of the house I had a
> notebook running XP and connected to the internet through a network modem
> supplied by Road runner. I do not want the back computer to have access to
> the I-net.
>
> I was able to print wireless and have access to the Inet throught the
> laptop
> at the same time. Now, I had to replace the laptop with a laptop running
> Vista home ed.
> I was able to configure the home network fine (can ping the printer and
> desktop), but can not print.
>
> I can go to add printer, add printer not seen, type in the IP address, add
> Vista drivers, and EVEN PRINT A TEST PAGE. After adding the printer and
> going
> back to the properties, nothing will print, not even a test page (all
> things
> are shared) With the printer open, you can see the que come up, but just
> for
> a millisecond then vanishes. I have set up numerous networks, including my
> office, but after 30 hours of work, I have no solution. Tried 2 different
> routers, same result (likely not the router). I can share files between
> the
> two computers. And yes if you try to share the printer through the back
> computer, same result (takes 10x longer). And yes I can print to the
> network
> printer with the desktop computer.
>
> Also, Vista only allows to run one network at a time. Is there a way to
> run
> the home network and aslo have the notebook pluged into the WAN?

=?Utf-8?B?R3JhbnQ=?=

Both computers have been configured with the utility, also the printer has
the option to set the IP address manually and is recognized by both
computers, that is not the problem.

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> I am not familiar with the Magicolor per-se but in most cases Network
> printers has to be add to computer but installing and configuring the
> original printer utility that come with the printer. It has to be done on
> every computer.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Grant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a home network which consist of destop in back rm running XP
> >connected
> > to wireless router by cat 5 cable and a magicolor 2300 printer connected
> > same router through a network card. In the front of the house I had a
> > notebook running XP and connected to the internet through a network modem
> > supplied by Road runner. I do not want the back computer to have access to
> > the I-net.
> >
> > I was able to print wireless and have access to the Inet throught the
> > laptop
> > at the same time. Now, I had to replace the laptop with a laptop running
> > Vista home ed.
> > I was able to configure the home network fine (can ping the printer and
> > desktop), but can not print.
> >
> > I can go to add printer, add printer not seen, type in the IP address, add
> > Vista drivers, and EVEN PRINT A TEST PAGE. After adding the printer and
> > going
> > back to the properties, nothing will print, not even a test page (all
> > things
> > are shared) With the printer open, you can see the que come up, but just
> > for
> > a millisecond then vanishes. I have set up numerous networks, including my
> > office, but after 30 hours of work, I have no solution. Tried 2 different
> > routers, same result (likely not the router). I can share files between
> > the
> > two computers. And yes if you try to share the printer through the back
> > computer, same result (takes 10x longer). And yes I can print to the
> > network
> > printer with the desktop computer.
> >
> > Also, Vista only allows to run one network at a time. Is there a way to
> > run
> > the home network and aslo have the notebook pluged into the WAN?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
May be you want to organize your post in more understandable manner.
E.g. I can not figure out what that means. "Vista only allows to run one
network at a time. Is there a way to run
>the home network and also have the notebook plugged into the WAN?".

A Router function is to create twp separate Networks if you plug some thing
to the WAN port by definition it is independent from the private LAN on the
other side a client OS (Vista or other) on a computer can not run on both
side of a Router, that is the way Network topology works.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Grant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a home network which consist of destop in back rm running XP
>connected
> to wireless router by cat 5 cable and a magicolor 2300 printer connected
> same router through a network card. In the front of the house I had a
> notebook running XP and connected to the internet through a network modem
> supplied by Road runner. I do not want the back computer to have access to
> the I-net.
>
> I was able to print wireless and have access to the Inet throught the
> laptop
> at the same time. Now, I had to replace the laptop with a laptop running
> Vista home ed.
> I was able to configure the home network fine (can ping the printer and
> desktop), but can not print.
>
> I can go to add printer, add printer not seen, type in the IP address, add
> Vista drivers, and EVEN PRINT A TEST PAGE. After adding the printer and
> going
> back to the properties, nothing will print, not even a test page (all
> things
> are shared) With the printer open, you can see the que come up, but just
> for
> a millisecond then vanishes. I have set up numerous networks, including my
> office, but after 30 hours of work, I have no solution. Tried 2 different
> routers, same result (likely not the router). I can share files between
> the
> two computers. And yes if you try to share the printer through the back
> computer, same result (takes 10x longer). And yes I can print to the
> network
> printer with the desktop computer.
>
> Also, Vista only allows to run one network at a time. Is there a way to
> run
> the home network and aslo have the notebook pluged into the WAN?

=?Utf-8?B?R3JhbnQ=?=

If you read carefully, I did write clearly. The router is basically used as
an access point. Again, I have a desk top in one room hardwired to the
wireless router and in the same room the network printer is attached. I HAD
NO PROBLEM running my wireless laptop (running XP) in a separate room. The
laptop was attached to the Inet through a modem and at the same time was
connected to the local network (wireless) through the wireless router. I WAS
ABLE TO print to the network computer, and share files with the desktop. If
you read the original complaint, I was able to connect to the local network
or the Inet but not run both at the same time. Also once connected to the
local network I can share files with the desktop, and I can even add the
network computer and PRINT one test page before it fails (please read
original complaint).