Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Codec Help

Codec Help

Tom Tricep

I copied a bunch of my AVI files from my office computer (newsgroup
adult content) and brought them home. My computer does not play them
at home. The windows media
player comes up, but appears black. The progress chart moves as though
it is playing. the really old (4-5 years old) avi files play.

My original computer is windows 2K, and has been updated through the
newsgroups to include every codec imaginable. I have been able to play
everything.

My computer at home is XP, with service pac 2. This morning I did a
download to include microsoft media package 11. Still no deal.

What can I do?

Do you all have a site to download all of the codecs? Or is there
somewhere on my computer where I can burn the codecs at work, then
bring them home and load them on my computer?

Thanks in advance!

Tom tricep

why?

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 08:25:25 -0700, Tom Tricep wrote:

>I copied a bunch of my AVI files from my office computer (newsgroup
>adult content) and brought them home. My computer does not play them

What does that (content) matter?

>at home. The windows media

Ask in the same newsgroup.

>player comes up, but appears black. The progress chart moves as though
>it is playing. the really old (4-5 years old) avi files play.

Boring story.

>My original computer is windows 2K, and has been updated through the
>newsgroups to include every codec imaginable. I have been able to play
>everything.

Ditto.

>My computer at home is XP, with service pac 2. This morning I did a
>download to include microsoft media package 11. Still no deal.
>
>What can I do?

Checl old posts in 24HSHD
http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...elpdesk/topics

>Do you all have a site to download all of the codecs? Or is there

'you' who? You posted about your porn distribution to a public newsgroup
carried on servers all over the planet.

Look for gspot , last post April

Alternative to Media Player
.... can't play that paricular media file. To find out what codec you
need
on a particular media file you can use the program GSpot
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ Btw. VLC is my default media player
Apr 25 by JustMe - 16 messages - 8 authors

<more snipping>

Me

Perry Willoughby

You could try K-lit media pack or just ffdshow either one would be a
good start.

Will

Tom Tricep wrote:
> I copied a bunch of my AVI files from my office computer (newsgroup
> adult content) and brought them home. My computer does not play them
> at home. The windows media
> player comes up, but appears black. The progress chart moves as though
> it is playing. the really old (4-5 years old) avi files play.
>
> My original computer is windows 2K, and has been updated through the
> newsgroups to include every codec imaginable. I have been able to play
> everything.
>
> My computer at home is XP, with service pac 2. This morning I did a
> download to include microsoft media package 11. Still no deal.
>
> What can I do?
>
> Do you all have a site to download all of the codecs? Or is there
> somewhere on my computer where I can burn the codecs at work, then
> bring them home and load them on my computer?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Tom tricep

Meat Plow

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
#8 AUK Hate Machine Cog
COOSN-266-06-25794

Vanguard

"Tom Tricep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I copied a bunch of my AVI files from my office computer (newsgroup
> adult content) and brought them home. My computer does not play them
> at home. The windows media
> player comes up, but appears black. The progress chart moves as though
> it is playing. the really old (4-5 years old) avi files play.
>
> My original computer is windows 2K, and has been updated through the
> newsgroups to include every codec imaginable. I have been able to play
> everything.
>
> My computer at home is XP, with service pac 2. This morning I did a
> download to include microsoft media package 11. Still no deal.
>
> What can I do?
>
> Do you all have a site to download all of the codecs? Or is there
> somewhere on my computer where I can burn the codecs at work, then
> bring them home and load them on my computer?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Tom tricep

Get the DivX codec as a start. Then head to www.free-codecs.com.

Plato

http://www.bootdisk.com/housecall/003.htm#2

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Tester

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 08:25:25 -0700, Tom Tricep <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I copied a bunch of my AVI files from my office computer (newsgroup
>adult content) and brought them home. My computer does not play them
>at home. The windows media
>player comes up, but appears black. The progress chart moves as though
>it is playing. the really old (4-5 years old) avi files play.

The DIVX.COM codec from the free version will probably work. I'm not
sure if you can download just the codec as opposed to the programs but
the codec (free version) is all you need to install.

Gil J

"Tester" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) g...
> On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 08:25:25 -0700, Tom Tricep <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I copied a bunch of my AVI files from my office computer (newsgroup
>>adult content) and brought them home. My computer does not play them

You might find what you need here.

http://www.oldversion.com/

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=wmp

Tom Tricep

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 08:25:25 -0700, Tom Tricep <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

Thanks for your help. The K-lite did the trick. This 24 hour help desk
is great! It has really saved me several times in the past where
conventional IT guys were not cogniting on the solution.

Love and Peace,

Tom Tricep

Codec lookup fails for bad codec name, blowing up BeautifulSoup John Nagle Python 3 11-10-2007 02:55 AM
Codec Help Needed Si Computer Support 8 02-25-2005 03:37 AM
Help with playing .AVIs with win media player 9 -- still can't find a proper codec..... anyuser Computer Support 2 11-19-2003 11:05 PM
Codec Help KerplunKuK Computer Support 1 11-10-2003 07:42 PM
Help with AVI codec King O'Diamonds Computer Support 3 10-23-2003 02:03 AM

Advertisments