Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Voipfone keeps disconnecting when I am on mute....

Voipfone keeps disconnecting when I am on mute....

Mr JM

All,

I am trying to use voipfone (with a snom 300) for the last 4 month, but
unlike everyone else, I find them completly useless....

I am quite often on conference call, during which I intend to set my phone
on mute if I am not talking. After about 2-5 minutes on mute, I find myself
disconnected.

Am I the only one in this case? voipfone support reckon this is a but at
their end, but after 4 month, this is still `pending resolution`.

Any clues?

Ditch voipfone? bnut then to go where (voip.co.uk quality is not great, and
sipgate even worse).

Thanks,

JM

Brian A

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 12:25:52 +0100, "Mr JM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>All,
>
>I am trying to use voipfone (with a snom 300) for the last 4 month, but
>unlike everyone else, I find them completly useless....
>
>I am quite often on conference call, during which I intend to set my phone
>on mute if I am not talking. After about 2-5 minutes on mute, I find myself
>disconnected.
>
>Am I the only one in this case? voipfone support reckon this is a but at
>their end, but after 4 month, this is still `pending resolution`.
>
>Any clues?
>
>Ditch voipfone? bnut then to go where (voip.co.uk quality is not great, and
>sipgate even worse).
>
>Thanks,
>
>JM

I always find voip.co.uk quality to be good, so I am surprised that
you say this. Maybe you have another problem with your
hardware/connection.
On voip there are several free conference rooms. Depending on how you
conduct your conferences, you could all link to the same room on the
same number if that was a satisfactory arrangement.
Check out this page for details:-
http://faq.sipbroker.com/tiki-index....=Phone+Numbers
Look under From http://sipphone.com/numbers :
at
*747-1-222-000-0000 party line (sometimes has people talking about
VoIP; open)
*747-1-222-XXX-XXXX create your own conference room by choosing any
7-digit number (open)
Just point a voip 'PSTN' number at the appropriate conference call
number and you are up and working. Of course this is not private but
the chances of someone happening on your chosen number is quite small
considering that most of the users think that the only number is that
for the 'party line'.

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Get your friends to sign too!
TV.
---

Jono

Mr JM pretended :
> All,
>
> I am trying to use voipfone (with a snom 300) for the last 4 month, but
> unlike everyone else, I find them completly useless....
>
> I am quite often on conference call, during which I intend to set my phone on
> mute if I am not talking. After about 2-5 minutes on mute, I find myself
> disconnected.
>
> Am I the only one in this case? voipfone support reckon this is a but at
> their end, but after 4 month, this is still `pending resolution`.
>
> Any clues?
>
> Ditch voipfone? bnut then to go where (voip.co.uk quality is not great, and
> sipgate even worse).
>
> Thanks,
>
> JM

I've never used a Snom, so YMMV, however, on all my kit, there are
settings to detect silence. I suspect that your phone may think you've
hung up, or at least forgotten to hang up, when it has detected a
period of silence.

mymail@hotmail.com

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 12:51:44 GMT, Brian A
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I always find voip.co.uk quality to be good, so I am surprised that
>you say this. Maybe you have another problem with your
>hardware/connection.

I think they have gone a bit off just lately which is why I have
canciled my account from the end of the month after being with them
for almost two years and sticking with voip.co.uk .

Rob

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I think they have gone a bit off just lately which is why I have
> canciled my account from the end of the month after being with them
> for almost two years and sticking with voip.co.uk .

One alternative would be Sipgate, who, on the other hand I'm led to believe,
have improved in the last 2 years.

Rob

Ivor Jones

news:467d3823$0$8738$(E-Mail Removed)
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > I think they have gone a bit off just lately which is
> > why I have canciled my account from the end of the
> > month after being with them for almost two years and
> > sticking with voip.co.uk .

> One alternative would be Sipgate, who, on the other hand
> I'm led to believe, have improved in the last 2 years.

Very much so, since the registration servers were replaced about 18 months
or so ago. Never had an outage or dropped call since.

Ivor

Mr JM

Same equipement, connecting to voip.co.uk, I do not have the issue.... go
figure....

"Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Mr JM pretended :
>> All,
>>
>> I am trying to use voipfone (with a snom 300) for the last 4 month, but
>> unlike everyone else, I find them completly useless....
>>
>> I am quite often on conference call, during which I intend to set my
>> phone on mute if I am not talking. After about 2-5 minutes on mute, I
>> find myself disconnected.
>>
>> Am I the only one in this case? voipfone support reckon this is a but at
>> their end, but after 4 month, this is still `pending resolution`.
>>
>> Any clues?
>>
>> Ditch voipfone? bnut then to go where (voip.co.uk quality is not great,
>> and sipgate even worse).
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> JM

> I've never used a Snom, so YMMV, however, on all my kit, there are
> settings to detect silence. I suspect that your phone may think you've
> hung up, or at least forgotten to hang up, when it has detected a period
> of silence.

Mr JM

Brian,

The problem with conf call is that I do not really always control the
confcall system my customers are using, so that's not really an option.

I guess quality wise, it might just depends. But people (at the other end of
the line, mostly US based) complained more when using voip.co.uk than
voipfone.co.uk

"Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 12:25:52 +0100, "Mr JM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>All,
>>
>>I am trying to use voipfone (with a snom 300) for the last 4 month, but
>>unlike everyone else, I find them completly useless....
>>
>>I am quite often on conference call, during which I intend to set my phone
>>on mute if I am not talking. After about 2-5 minutes on mute, I find
>>myself
>>disconnected.
>>
>>Am I the only one in this case? voipfone support reckon this is a but at
>>their end, but after 4 month, this is still `pending resolution`.
>>
>>Any clues?
>>
>>Ditch voipfone? bnut then to go where (voip.co.uk quality is not great,
>>and
>>sipgate even worse).
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>JM

> I always find voip.co.uk quality to be good, so I am surprised that
> you say this. Maybe you have another problem with your
> hardware/connection.
> On voip there are several free conference rooms. Depending on how you
> conduct your conferences, you could all link to the same room on the
> same number if that was a satisfactory arrangement.
> Check out this page for details:-
> http://faq.sipbroker.com/tiki-index....=Phone+Numbers
> Look under From http://sipphone.com/numbers :
> at
> *747-1-222-000-0000 party line (sometimes has people talking about
> VoIP; open)
> *747-1-222-XXX-XXXX create your own conference room by choosing any
> 7-digit number (open)
> Just point a voip 'PSTN' number at the appropriate conference call
> number and you are up and working. Of course this is not private but
> the chances of someone happening on your chosen number is quite small
> considering that most of the users think that the only number is that
> for the 'party line'.
>

> ---
> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
>
> Sign the petition to get High Definition TV via Freeview.
> Get your friends to sign too!
> Ofcom want to auction off the spectrum needed for Hi Def.
> TV.
> http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/High-Definition/
> ---

Mr JM

Sticking with voip.co.uk the way forward?

Thanks

mymail@hotmail.com

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 17:13:11 +0100, "Mr JM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sticking with voip.co.uk the way forward?

About the best I have found pity voipfone have slipped a little in the
last month or two though .