Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > LAN IP Address

LAN IP Address

=?Utf-8?B?S2VuIEcu?=

Thanks Jack. I'll have a look at the utility.

Ken.

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> You can download and run this free utility,
> http://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/
> It is very useful in providing IP and shares all across the network.
> Otherwise,
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Ken G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a wireless modem/router with ip address 10.1.1.1. I have three pc's
> > connected in a wireless network. How do i find or set the ip addresses of
> > the
> > other pc's.

=?Utf-8?B?S2VuIEcu?=

Thanks Jim. The router is a Belkin 4 port VOIP adsl modem/router and it was
set up by my ISP before they sent it to me. It is set up as a dhcp server
with the others obtaining their address from it. The 10.1.1.1 address was
already set and the other computers are currently 10.1.1.3, 10.1.1.6, and
10.1.1.7. They were probably 2,3, and 4 at some stage but with all the
messing around I've been doing their addresses have changed.

I really need to do a bit of reading on networking. Its not as simple as I
thought it would be, particularly with a W98 machine thrown in there too. At
one point it was working with a 4th machine running ME but that was on a open
unprotected network. I did have problems getting that set up working too.

Cheers, and thanks for the reply.
Ken.

"Jim" wrote:

> "Ken G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a wireless modem/router with ip address 10.1.1.1. I have three pc's
> > connected in a wireless network. How do i find or set the ip addresses of
> > the
> > other pc's.

> The usual method is to enable the router to be a dhcp server and to enable
> the computers to get their addresses from a dhcp server.
>
> An alternative way is to disable dhcp service in the router and to create a
> common hosts file which contains all of the desired ip addresses. As
> 10.x.x.x addresses are not routable, all you need to set is your local lan.
> The router could not have gotten that address from your isp.
>
> The router takes care of connecting the lan to the isp service.
>
> Jim

Jim

"Ken G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Jim. The router is a Belkin 4 port VOIP adsl modem/router and it
> was
> set up by my ISP before they sent it to me. It is set up as a dhcp server
> with the others obtaining their address from it. The 10.1.1.1 address was
> already set and the other computers are currently 10.1.1.3, 10.1.1.6, and
> 10.1.1.7. They were probably 2,3, and 4 at some stage but with all the
> messing around I've been doing their addresses have changed.
>
> I really need to do a bit of reading on networking. Its not as simple as I
> thought it would be, particularly with a W98 machine thrown in there too.
> At
> one point it was working with a 4th machine running ME but that was on a
> open
> unprotected network. I did have problems getting that set up working too.
>
> Cheers, and thanks for the reply.
> Ken.

It is usually suggested that you set the router to start assigning ip
addresses at x.x.x.100. Sorry, I can't help you with the Belkin device.
Skipping numbers is not a problem. Some routers try to keep assigning the
same address to a given computer. That is just a matter
of convenience.

You are very correct that networking is not as easy as one might think. It
does take a bit of doing to be able to connect seamlessly
machines with very different architectures, but it can be (and has been)
done.

MVP Jack and Pchuck are the ones that I used; but I must caution you that I
have been doing this sort of thing for a very long time. Thus all
I need is a few pointers. You will probably find help at the site of other
regular posters.

Jim

> "Jim" wrote:
>

>> "Ken G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have a wireless modem/router with ip address 10.1.1.1. I have three
>> >pc's
>> > connected in a wireless network. How do i find or set the ip addresses
>> > of
>> > the
>> > other pc's.

>> The usual method is to enable the router to be a dhcp server and to
>> enable
>> the computers to get their addresses from a dhcp server.
>>
>> An alternative way is to disable dhcp service in the router and to create
>> common hosts file which contains all of the desired ip addresses. As
>> 10.x.x.x addresses are not routable, all you need to set is your local
>> lan.
>> The router could not have gotten that address from your isp.
>>
>> The router takes care of connecting the lan to the isp service.
>>
>> Jim

VPN with DMZ IP address NETed to LAN IP address!!! route-map!!! examples20001@gmail.com Cisco 0 02-07-2006 04:05 PM
Can't connect wired linksys lan to wireless belkin lan Tom D Wireless Networking 4 01-24-2005 02:06 PM
VPN concentrator, LAN-to-LAN and dynamic ip-address. Bjoern Frantzen Cisco 2 02-11-2004 11:45 PM
lan-to-lan vpn over adsl blaj Cisco 0 11-19-2003 08:32 PM
IPSec - Lan to Lan - Nat routers - 1 Static and 1 Dynamic ip Sharqy_5 Cisco 0 07-20-2003 09:35 PM

Advertisments