Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > My Canon 50mm 1.4 USM is wobbling

My Canon 50mm 1.4 USM is wobbling

Sigmund

Bought a new lens, Canon 50mm 1.4.
I am quite surprised the moving part feels very loose and wobbly when
taking on/off the front cap or putting on a filter.
Image quality seems to be ok though.
Is this "normal" for this lens, or should I try to get it changed?
Thanks!

Malcolm Stewart

"Sigmund" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bought a new lens, Canon 50mm 1.4.
> I am quite surprised the moving part feels very loose and wobbly when
> taking on/off the front cap or putting on a filter.
> Image quality seems to be ok though.
> Is this "normal" for this lens, or should I try to get it changed?
> Thanks!

Mine, repaired by Canon UK after it stopped focusing, also feels wobbly -
compared to a manual focus lens. It's about the same as other similar
lenses with extending length schemes. e.g. EF35f2 The optical cell is
moved as a whole so inter element distances aren't affected. Image quality
at f4 to f8 should be superb - mine is.

(If you're really worried get an EF 85 f1.8 - all the focus stuff is
inside.)

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Eatmorepies

"Sigmund" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bought a new lens, Canon 50mm 1.4.
> I am quite surprised the moving part feels very loose and wobbly when
> taking on/off the front cap or putting on a filter.
> Image quality seems to be ok though.
> Is this "normal" for this lens, or should I try to get it changed?
> Thanks!

I get a little bit of float - but not much. I wouldn't describe it as
wobbly - go back to the shop and try some others. The 1.8 I had floated a
lot more. I don't get any flaot with my L lenses.

John

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

Sigmund wrote:

> Bought a new lens, Canon 50mm 1.4.
> I am quite surprised the moving part feels very loose and wobbly when
> taking on/off the front cap or putting on a filter.
> Image quality seems to be ok though.
> Is this "normal" for this lens, or should I try to get it changed?

Send it back for a replacement. This problem seems to rear its ugly head
from time to time. The 85/1.2L has this problem as well.

Rita

Joseph Meehan

Sigmund wrote:
> Bought a new lens, Canon 50mm 1.4.
> I am quite surprised the moving part feels very loose and wobbly when
> taking on/off the front cap or putting on a filter.
> Image quality seems to be ok though.
> Is this "normal" for this lens, or should I try to get it changed?
> Thanks!

If you bought it locally, take it back and ask to compare it to the one
on display. If they are the same, don't worry. Many modern auto-focus
lenses feel that way.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Kennedy McEwen

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Sigmund
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Bought a new lens, Canon 50mm 1.4.
>I am quite surprised the moving part feels very loose and wobbly when
>taking on/off the front cap or putting on a filter.
>Image quality seems to be ok though.
>Is this "normal" for this lens, or should I try to get it changed?

A certain amount of wobble seems to be normal, but check that it
autofocuses throughout the range. When I bought mine I noticed the
wobble, but it was only a couple of days later that I discovered the
focus would stick if driven to the end stops and needed a manual assist
to release it. Canon fixed that and although the returned lens still
wobbled a bit, it wasn't nearly as much as before I returned it. My
conclusion is that the wobble and the sticky focus were related.
--
Kennedy