Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > menu

keithkerriekate@yahoo.com

http://www.hrasti.com/
i'd like to make a menu like this site, how can i make it transparent
like that ? thanks, keith

Neredbojias

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 16:59:31 GMT scribed:

> http://www.hrasti.com/
> i'd like to make a menu like this site, how can i make it transparent
> like that ? thanks, keith

Use a background image with an inherent transparency and put it in an
appropriate container.

--
Neredbojias

rf

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> http://www.hrasti.com/
> i'd like to make a menu like this site, how can i make it transparent

Make it out of gifs that "appear" to be transparaent.

> like that ? thanks, keith

Like that:
http://www.hrasti.com/img/bg_contacts.gif

--
Richard.

Edwin van der Vaart

rf wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> http://www.hrasti.com/
>> i'd like to make a menu like this site, how can i make it transparent

> Make it out of gifs that "appear" to be transparaent.

What's better a gif file or a png file?
--
Edwin van der Vaart
http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site

Jim Moe

Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

>> Make it out of gifs that "appear" to be transparaent.

> What's better a gif file or a png file?

A GIF. IE has problems with PNGs that have transparencies. Which is a
giant PITA since GIFs have a limited color range.
There is a workaround using a MS proprietary function. Search for "png
transparency ie alpha channel."

(Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

Blinky the Shark

Jim Moe wrote:
> Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
>>>
>>> Make it out of gifs that "appear" to be transparaent.

>> What's better a gif file or a png file?

> A GIF. IE has problems with PNGs that have transparencies. Which is
> a giant PITA since GIFs have a limited color range.

I realize there are lots of IE6 systems out there to contend with, but:
has MS not even fixed that in IE7?

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Blinky the Shark
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:(E-Mail Removed) :

> Jim Moe wrote:

>>> What's better a gif file or a png file?

>> A GIF. IE has problems with PNGs that have transparencies. Which is
>> a giant PITA since GIFs have a limited color range.

> I realize there are lots of IE6 systems out there to contend with, but:
> has MS not even fixed that in IE7?

Yes

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Edwin van der Vaart

Jim Moe wrote:
> Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
>>> Make it out of gifs that "appear" to be transparaent.

>> What's better a gif file or a png file?

> A GIF. IE has problems with PNGs that have transparencies. Which is a
> giant PITA since GIFs have a limited color range.

I didn't know that. I normally used PNG's for images and never thought
that IE have problems with it. @#$%&! stupid MS.
--

Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
> Jim Moe wrote:
>>> What's better a gif file or a png file?

>> A GIF. IE has problems with PNGs that have transparencies. Which is a
>> giant PITA since GIFs have a limited color range.

> I didn't know that. I normally used PNG's for images and never thought
> that IE have problems with it. @#$%&! stupid MS.

Looks like MS has been aware of the issue back at least to IE 5.5.

http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/pngbehavior/pngbehavior.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294714

--

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
>> Jim Moe wrote:
>>> A GIF. IE has problems with PNGs that have transparencies. Which is a
>>> giant PITA since GIFs have a limited color range.

>> I didn't know that. I normally used PNG's for images and never thought
>> that IE have problems with it. @#$%&! stupid MS.

> Looks like MS has been aware of the issue back at least to IE 5.5.
>
> http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/pngbehavior/pngbehavior.html
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294714

Thanks mate.