Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Boot from CD won't install XP PRO 64bit

Boot from CD won't install XP PRO 64bit

=?Utf-8?B?cGhhbm5pZ2Fu?=

I am trying to install 64bit XP. I have my bios set to boot from CD but it
does not.
I have removed 64bit Vista and reinstalled 32bit XP pro but want to replace
xp 32bit with XP 64bit. I am unsure of how to get my system to boot from the
63bit CD. There was no problem booting to the 32bit CD.
Thanks.

Theo

If your system will boot from the 32-bit CD, then it should
also be capable of booting from the 64-bit CD unless you
either have a defective CD or the IA64 version which
requires an Intel Itanium CPU.

phannigan wrote:
> I am trying to install 64bit XP. I have my bios set to boot from CD but it
> does not.
> I have removed 64bit Vista and reinstalled 32bit XP pro but want to replace
> xp 32bit with XP 64bit. I am unsure of how to get my system to boot from the
> 63bit CD. There was no problem booting to the 32bit CD.
> Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?cGhhbm5pZ2Fu?=

Thanks Theo. I'll re-burn a new CD as I know the version I have is not for
the Intel as I have an AMD 64bit processor. I may repost if problem continues.

"Theo" wrote:

> If your system will boot from the 32-bit CD, then it should
> also be capable of booting from the 64-bit CD unless you
> either have a defective CD or the IA64 version which
> requires an Intel Itanium CPU.
>
> phannigan wrote:
> > I am trying to install 64bit XP. I have my bios set to boot from CD but it
> > does not.
> > I have removed 64bit Vista and reinstalled 32bit XP pro but want to replace
> > xp 32bit with XP 64bit. I am unsure of how to get my system to boot from the
> > 63bit CD. There was no problem booting to the 32bit CD.
> > Thanks.

XS11E

phannigan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am trying to install 64bit XP. I have my bios set to boot from
> CD but it does not.
> I have removed 64bit Vista and reinstalled 32bit XP pro but want
> to replace xp 32bit with XP 64bit. I am unsure of how to get my
> system to boot from the 63bit CD. There was no problem booting to
> the 32bit CD. Thanks.

Maybe a bad CD? Do you have a CD ROM drive AND a CD or DVD burner? If
so, try putting the CD in the burner and booting on it. For some
reason, I've found my burner will read CDs that my CD ROM doesn't like.

One other thing, if it reads on the burner you might want to do a copy
to a new CD, it might work better.

=?Utf-8?B?cGhhbm5pZ2Fu?=

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a try. I did re-burn the ISO and on
my initial try, during the copying of files, there were some errors = so I am
trying it again. No rest for the weary!!

"XS11E" wrote:

> phannigan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I am trying to install 64bit XP. I have my bios set to boot from
> > CD but it does not.
> > I have removed 64bit Vista and reinstalled 32bit XP pro but want
> > to replace xp 32bit with XP 64bit. I am unsure of how to get my
> > system to boot from the 63bit CD. There was no problem booting to
> > the 32bit CD. Thanks.

> Maybe a bad CD? Do you have a CD ROM drive AND a CD or DVD burner? If
> so, try putting the CD in the burner and booting on it. For some
> reason, I've found my burner will read CDs that my CD ROM doesn't like.
>
> One other thing, if it reads on the burner you might want to do a copy
> to a new CD, it might work better.

> The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

John Barnes

Make sure to set your burner to burn at a slow speed. Has helped many get a
good burn.

"phannigan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a try. I did re-burn the ISO and
> on
> my initial try, during the copying of files, there were some errors = so I
> am
> trying it again. No rest for the weary!!
>
> "XS11E" wrote:
>
>> phannigan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> > I am trying to install 64bit XP. I have my bios set to boot from
>> > CD but it does not.
>> > I have removed 64bit Vista and reinstalled 32bit XP pro but want
>> > to replace xp 32bit with XP 64bit. I am unsure of how to get my
>> > system to boot from the 63bit CD. There was no problem booting to
>> > the 32bit CD. Thanks.

>> Maybe a bad CD? Do you have a CD ROM drive AND a CD or DVD burner? If
>> so, try putting the CD in the burner and booting on it. For some
>> reason, I've found my burner will read CDs that my CD ROM doesn't like.
>>
>> One other thing, if it reads on the burner you might want to do a copy
>> to a new CD, it might work better.
>>

>> --
>> XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
>> The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Charlie Russel - MVP

John is right. We've seen a lot of bad burn issues over the last year, and
they seem to be getting worse. Please use a burning program that does a
verify pass, and try your burn at a slower speed.

Also, just a reminder for anyone reading this thread - you must burn the ISO
as an _image_ to the CD. Not copy the file to the CD.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64