Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Vilnius/Post EuroPython PyPy Sprint 12-14th of July

Vilnius/Post EuroPython PyPy Sprint 12-14th of July

Michael Hudson

The PyPy team is sprinting at EuroPython again and we invite
you to participate in our 3 day long sprint at the conference hotel
- Reval Hotel Lietuva.

If you plan to attend the sprint we recommend you to listen to the PyPy
technical talks (`EuroPython schedule`_) during the
conference since it will give you a good overview of the status of development.

On the morning of the first sprint day (12th) we will also have a
tutorial session for those new to PyPy development. As 3 days is relatively
short for a PyPy sprint we suggest to travel back home on the 15th if
possible (but it is ok to attend less than 3 days too).

------------------------------
Goals and topics of the sprint
------------------------------

There are many possible and interesting sprint topics to work on - here
we list some possible task areas:

* completing the missing python 2.5 features and support
* write or port more extension modules (e.g. zlib is missing)
* identify slow areas of PyPy through benchmarking and work on improvements,
possibly moving app-level parts of the Python interpreter to interp-level
if useful.
* there are some parts of PyPy in need of refactoring, we may spend some time
on those, for example:

- rctypes and the extension compiler need some rethinking
- support for LLVM 2.0 for the llvm backend
- ...

* some JIT improvement work
* port the stackless transform to ootypesystem
* other interesting stuff that you would like to work on ...

and drop a note about your interests and post any questions. More
organisational information will be sent to that list.

Please register by adding yourself on the following list (via svn):

http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/extrad...007/people.txt

or on the pypy-sprint mailing list if you do not yet have check-in rights:

---------------------------------------
Preparation (if you feel it is needed):
---------------------------------------

* read the `getting-started`_ pages on http://codespeak.net/pypy

* for inspiration, overview and technical status you are welcome to
read `the technical reports available and other relevant documentation`_

* please direct any technical and/or development oriented questions to
pypy-dev at codespeak.net and any sprint organizing/logistical
questions to pypy-sprint at codespeak.net

* if you need information about the conference, potential hotels,
directions etc we recommend to look at http://www.europython.org.

We are looking forward to meet you at the Vilnius Post EuroPython
PyPy sprint!

The PyPy team

... See also ..

... _getting-started:
http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/...g-started.html
... _`pypy-sprint mailing list`:
... _`the technical reports available and other relevant
documentation`: http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/index.html
... _`EuroPython schedule`: http://europython.org/timetable