Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > data/control plane

data/control plane

headsetadapter.com

Roman,

You have individual components within the switch (line cards, supervisor
modules, individual components, etc.). They communicate to each other
through a "backplane" (or dataplane, controlplane). These "communication
channels" have certain capacity (for example, 300 GBit/Second). It defines
how much data can go internally between components.

Good luck,

Mike
CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc.
CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)
------
Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones
www.ciscoheadsetadapter.com
www.headsetadapter.com

"Roman Mashak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f5ftdr$21mp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I often encounter on terms 'data plane', 'control plane' in Cisco
> literature or any other materials. But I failed to find clear explanation.
> Could someone give me links on the technical literature or explain those
> here?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Best regards, Roman

dman1973

On Jun 22, 8:03 am, "headsetadapter.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Roman,
>
> You have individual components within the switch (line cards, supervisor
> modules, individual components, etc.). They communicate to each other
> through a "backplane" (or dataplane, controlplane). These "communication
> channels" have certain capacity (for example, 300 GBit/Second). It defines
> how much data can go internally between components.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Mike
> CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc.
> CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)
> ------
> Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phoneswww.ciscoheadsetadapter.comwww.headsetadapte r.com
>
> "Roman Mashak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:f5ftdr$21mp$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Hello,

> > I often encounter on terms 'data plane', 'control plane' in Cisco
> > literature or any other materials. But I failed to find clear explanation.
> > Could someone give me links on the technical literature or explain those
> > here?

> > Thanks.

> > --
> > Best regards, Roman

Data plane: determines data packet behavior
Packet forwarding
Packet differentiation (e.g., ACLs)
Buffering, link scheduling

Control plane: controls the state of network elements
Route selection
RSVP, capability signaling, etc.

-Dan
http://ccie-lounge.blogspot.com