Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > AntiVirus Software

AntiVirus Software

target7

My laptop came with a free 90 day trial of Norton Antivirus. This i
soon due to expire so i've been searching around for new software
Problem is, i aint made of money so i need something cheap o
preferably a free download.

On the download front, AVG free doesn't really appeal and im leanin
towards downloading the free version of Avast.

On the other hand, I noticed Norton Antivirus being sold for ?1
(around $20) in my local Gamestation Outlet (a video game shop). It wa
packaged and all, but is it trustworthy for such a cheap price
Especially as Norton appears to cost around ?40 online.

I am a basic home user that uses MSN, Limewire and surfs the interne
alot. I don't download a large number of things. Any opinions o
advice?

EDIT: Just remembered that I have Windows Defender, would this suffic
once my Norton trial has expired

--
target
target7's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/members/3994.ht

http://www.futurehardware.i

Mara

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 06:52:53 +0530, target7 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>My laptop came with a free 90 day trial of Norton Antivirus. This is
>soon due to expire so i've been searching around for new software.
>Problem is, i aint made of money so i need something cheap or
>preferably a free download.

For XP:

www.activevirusshield.com (free for a year)

For Vista:

http://www.kaspersky.com/trials (free trial)

Unlike Norton, Kaspersky is worth every cent you pay for it.

>On the download front, AVG free doesn't really appeal and im leaning
>towards downloading the free version of Avast.
>
>On the other hand, I noticed Norton Antivirus being sold for ?10
>(around $20) in my local Gamestation Outlet (a video game shop). It was
>packaged and all, but is it trustworthy for such a cheap price?
>Especially as Norton appears to cost around ?40 online.

Norton stinks. It's ineffective, and it's bloatware.

>I am a basic home user that uses MSN, Limewire and surfs the internet
>alot. I don't download a large number of things. Any opinions or
>advice?
>
>EDIT: Just remembered that I have Windows Defender, would this suffice
>once my Norton trial has expired?

NO. And for that matter, neither does Norton. Be sure to thoroughly scan your
system once you've removed it.

--
<wilhelm> "Idiot prices fell today with the expected announcement
from the Fed that there would be no shortage of idiots for the

Daave

target7 wrote:
> My laptop came with a free 90 day trial of Norton Antivirus. This is
> soon due to expire so i've been searching around for new software.
> Problem is, i aint made of money so i need something cheap or
> preferably a free download.
>
> On the download front, AVG free doesn't really appeal and im leaning
> towards downloading the free version of Avast.

Avast is good, but so is AVG; why doesn't it appeal to you?

Antivir (also free) has many fans:

http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html

Paid versions which are highly recommended include NOD32:

http://www.eset.com/products/windows.php

.... and Kaspersky:

http://usa.kaspersky.com/products_se...meProducts.php

> On the other hand, I noticed Norton Antivirus being sold for ?10
> (around $20) in my local Gamestation Outlet (a video game shop). It
> was packaged and all, but is it trustworthy for such a cheap price?
> Especially as Norton appears to cost around ?40 online.

Do yourself a favor and avoid Norton/Symantec and McAfee like the
plague. Many times they wind up bogging down systems, causing conflicts
and hangs.

> I am a basic home user that uses MSN, Limewire and surfs the internet
> alot. I don't download a large number of things. Any opinions or
> advice?

Be very careful when you use P2P applications like Limewire. Make sure
you don't hide file extensions and be sure to manually scan everything
you download.

> EDIT: Just remembered that I have Windows Defender, would this suffice
> once my Norton trial has expired?

Windows Defender protects only against spyware and adware, not viruses.
I personally don't use it, but many seem to like it.

Some premium versions of antivirus programs also provide some protection
against spyware. Personally, I rely on the free version of AVG antivirus
and the following (all free) for taking care of spyware/adware:

Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Spybot Search & Destroy

SpywareBlaster

A-Squared
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

CWShredder
http://us.trendmicro.com/us/products...al/CWShredder/

Bill

"target7" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On the download front, AVG free doesn't really appeal and im leaning
> towards downloading the free version of Avast.

I use Limewire, and Avast, and on several occasions Avast has detected
nasties in downloads and saved me a lot of hassle.

Bill

ded

http://antivirus.about.com/od/antivi...s/a/freeav.htm

http://antivirus.about.com/od/antivi.../aatpavwin.htm

"target7" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> My laptop came with a free 90 day trial of Norton Antivirus. This is
> soon due to expire so i've been searching around for new software.
> Problem is, i aint made of money so i need something cheap or
> preferably a free download.
>
> On the download front, AVG free doesn't really appeal and im leaning
> towards downloading the free version of Avast.
>
> On the other hand, I noticed Norton Antivirus being sold for ?10
> (around $20) in my local Gamestation Outlet (a video game shop). It was
> packaged and all, but is it trustworthy for such a cheap price?
> Especially as Norton appears to cost around ?40 online.
>
> I am a basic home user that uses MSN, Limewire and surfs the internet
> alot. I don't download a large number of things. Any opinions or
> advice?
>
> EDIT: Just remembered that I have Windows Defender, would this suffice
> once my Norton trial has expired?
>

> --
> target7
> target7's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/members/3994.htm
> View this thread: http://www.futurehardware.in/599135.htm
>
> http://www.futurehardware.in

olfart

"Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 06:52:53 +0530, target7 <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>My laptop came with a free 90 day trial of Norton Antivirus. This is
>>soon due to expire so i've been searching around for new software.
>>Problem is, i aint made of money so i need something cheap or
>>preferably a free download.

> For XP:
>
> www.activevirusshield.com (free for a year)

Mara...have you tried this?? Since it's from AOL I would expect to be
bombarded with ads and other bothersome emails

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

olfart wrote:

> "Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> target7 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> My laptop came with a free 90 day trial of Norton Antivirus. This is
>>> soon due to expire so i've been searching around for new software.
>>> Problem is, i aint made of money so i need something cheap or
>>> preferably a free download.

>> For XP:
>>
>> www.activevirusshield.com (free for a year)
>>

> Mara...have you tried this?? Since it's from AOL I would expect to be
> bombarded with ads and other bothersome emails

In the anti-virus groups, folks have said this tool has a Kaspersky
engine, is very good, but: DO NOT INSTALL THE TOOLBAR.

I have no personal experience with it.

--
-bts

tom

"olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 06:52:53 +0530, target7

<(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >

> >>My laptop came with a free 90 day trial of Norton Antivirus. This is
> >>soon due to expire so i've been searching around for new software.
> >>Problem is, i aint made of money so i need something cheap or
> >>preferably a free download.

> > For XP:
> >
> > www.activevirusshield.com (free for a year)
> >

> Mara...have you tried this?? Since it's from AOL I would expect to be
> bombarded with ads and other bothersome emails

Been using it about 3 months now. No spam of any kind. I used a gmail
account for activation code when I installed it and have noticed no follow
up emails. Been dependable with frequent updates so far.

olfart

"tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QXQei.50$(E-Mail Removed). net...

> "olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 06:52:53 +0530, target7

> <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> > For XP:
>> >
>> > www.activevirusshield.com (free for a year)
>> >

>> Mara...have you tried this?? Since it's from AOL I would expect to be
>> bombarded with ads and other bothersome emails
>>

> Been using it about 3 months now. No spam of any kind. I used a gmail
> account for activation code when I installed it and have noticed no follow
> up emails. Been dependable with frequent updates so far.

Thanks...might give it a shot

Plato

target7 wrote:

> My laptop came with a free 90 day trial of Norton Antivirus. This is
> soon due to expire so i've been searching around for new software.
> Problem is, i aint made of money so i need something cheap or
> preferably a free download.

http://www.bootdisk.com/utility.htm
ANTI-VIRUS

Or: