Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Unable to retrieve folder information from the server

Unable to retrieve folder information from the server

Stimp

I am running Visual Studio 2003 and while opening ANY of my ASP.NET 1.1
projects I get the following error appearing in an alert box:

"Unable to retrieve folder information from the server"

None of the files for the project open in the solution explorer.

Has anyone ever experienced this, or know of a solution?

Thanks,
Peter

--

fiddlewidawiddum

Alexey Smirnov

On Jun 22, 3:26 am, Stimp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am running Visual Studio 2003 and while opening ANY of my ASP.NET 1.1
> projects I get the following error appearing in an alert box:
>
> "Unable to retrieve folder information from the server"
>
> None of the files for the project open in the solution explorer.
>
> Has anyone ever experienced this, or know of a solution?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter
>
> --
>
> fiddlewidawiddum

try this
http://robz.homedns.org:8080/blog/ar...11/05/187.aspx

Stimp

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 Alexey Smirnov <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 22, 3:26 am, Stimp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I am running Visual Studio 2003 and while opening ANY of my ASP.NET 1.1
>> projects I get the following error appearing in an alert box:
>>
>> "Unable to retrieve folder information from the server"
>>
>> None of the files for the project open in the solution explorer.
>>
>> Has anyone ever experienced this, or know of a solution?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Peter

> try this
> http://robz.homedns.org:8080/blog/ar...11/05/187.aspx

thanks, but deleting VSWebCache exacerbated the problem when I tried it
before (I found that link earlier)

The original problem was that I got the error on ONE project.

Then I deleted VSWebCache (which incidentally has been recreated fine by
VS since)

Then I couldn't open any projects?!?
--

fiddlewidawiddum

Stimp

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 Stimp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 Alexey Smirnov <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Jun 22, 3:26 am, Stimp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I am running Visual Studio 2003 and while opening ANY of my ASP.NET 1.1
>>> projects I get the following error appearing in an alert box:
>>>
>>> "Unable to retrieve folder information from the server"
>>>
>>> None of the files for the project open in the solution explorer.
>>>
>>> Has anyone ever experienced this, or know of a solution?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Peter

>> try this
>> http://robz.homedns.org:8080/blog/ar...11/05/187.aspx

> thanks, but deleting VSWebCache exacerbated the problem when I tried it
> before (I found that link earlier)
>
> The original problem was that I got the error on ONE project.
>
> Then I deleted VSWebCache (which incidentally has been recreated fine by
> VS since)
>
> Then I couldn't open any projects?!?

I finally found the solution.

I have to uninstall Tortoise SVN ... doh!

--

fiddlewidawiddum

Riccardo Corradin

You don't have to. I had the same problem and it took me a full day to figure it out. As of version 1.4.8 (maybe earlier I don't know, but I used this particular version) right click in a random folder
-> TortoiseSVN -> Settings. Now in the "general" section you can check the option "use "_svn" instead of ".svn" directories". Doing this magically solved my problem. This will only apply to the next projects that you will check out, not to the existing ones. I.e.: It will not convert the existing ".svn" folders to "_svn".
When you click on OK it asks you to reboot the system. Don't ask me why, just do it .

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/default.aspx?ref=ng

Anubhav Bajpai

The solution is perfect. It was happening due to the .svn extension. Changed the option from the setting of Tortoise SVN. Got it working. Thanks a ton.