Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Hardware > DVD drive not working > deleted too much from the registry key!

DVD drive not working > deleted too much from the registry key!

inithaca inithaca is offline
Junior Member

Help!

The other day my CD/DVD drive was not working at all (not in device manager, could not be opened), so after reading some stuff online I followed up on a tip to delete something in 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318

Trying to do too much too fast, instead of just deleting the lower or upper things I was supposed to delete, I deleted everything from this key except one file. Stupid, stupid, I know. As far as I know, I can't get it back from a backup or something. How can I get the files I need installed or added again?

At the moment my CD/DVD is working (ie it opens), but it's still not in device manager and when I insert a disc and try to play it in power dvd it says there is no disk...

I'm not very good with computers (like that wasn't clear already ), so any (detailed!) help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Irene

uesquebeathus uesquebeathus is offline
Junior Member

Missing or damaged DVD CD DRIVES in xp an vista
have a look at

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

or this

this software patch from here can solve the problem sometimes, it was aimed at windows XP, but the problem is still there in Vista unfortunately
go to this web page

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_d...cd_dvd_fix.htm

and Download

XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip

and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.

This utility is only intended for Windows XP. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

this is another way you have to open regedit and change this key
click start, then enter regedit

first back up the entire registry.

then look for this key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11*CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

I am sorry but if the key is not there you will have to create it, then you will see the drive again,