Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Turn Off OSPF load-balancing

Turn Off OSPF load-balancing

philbo30

I have a PIX firewall that sends traffic back to my VPN routers, based
on OSPF routes advertised to the PIX by said VPN routers. The traffic
from the PIX is OSPF load-balanced by default.

I need a specific path, not load-balanced and route maps are not an
option on the PIX in this case. I already set one OSPF interface on
the VPN routers to be a higher cost, but unfortunately that hasn't
changed the load-balancing. Suggestions?

Trendkill

On Jun 21, 3:22 pm, philbo30 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a PIX firewall that sends traffic back to my VPN routers, based
> on OSPF routes advertised to the PIX by said VPN routers. The traffic
> from the PIX is OSPF load-balanced by default.
>
> I need a specific path, not load-balanced and route maps are not an
> option on the PIX in this case. I already set one OSPF interface on
> the VPN routers to be a higher cost, but unfortunately that hasn't
> changed the load-balancing. Suggestions?

Why not set a metric on the outgoing routes from one of the VPN
routers?

Trendkill

On Jun 21, 4:24 pm, Trendkill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 21, 3:22 pm, philbo30 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I have a PIX firewall that sends traffic back to my VPN routers, based
> > on OSPF routes advertised to the PIX by said VPN routers. The traffic
> > from the PIX is OSPF load-balanced by default.

> > I need a specific path, not load-balanced and route maps are not an
> > option on the PIX in this case. I already set one OSPF interface on
> > the VPN routers to be a higher cost, but unfortunately that hasn't
> > changed the load-balancing. Suggestions?

> Why not set a metric on the outgoing routes from one of the VPN
> routers?

Or, did you do auto cost reference bandwidth and try changing the cost
via the bandwidth? Changing the cost should do what you want (I used
to failover ospf a core that way all the time during maintenance).
You may need to clear ip ospf though, as I know you have to do that on
a lot of changes ,and I can't recall if that is one of them (I was
pretty sure you did not in this case). Let us know how you fare.