Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > Career Advice

Career Advice

=?Utf-8?B?am9leTc0MDU1?=

Hello, I am in need of some career advice. Let me explain my situation. I
graduated in 2004 with a MIS degree. I have been working since my graduation
as a "Systems Analyst" basically doing helpdesk, support, sever upkeep, etc.
and at the same time I am working on my MSCE. My company sent us to a
Microsoft Trainer to go through the MCSE 2003 courses. In school, I studied
known of this, all of my classes were programming, DB's, Business mgmt. and
etc. Now, where I work we hired a "developer" about a year ago to come in and
do some sharepoint and SQL stuff and things like that and he just left us to
make $70,000 doing nothing but developing for PDA's, cell phones and etc. So,
you may already know where I am going with this. What should I do? I know for
a fact if I want to stay in Infrastructure that I MUST get my MSCE or else I
will never get out of support which is quite frankly the low in of the
barrell for IT. So should I go with developing, which by the way since at my
current job I get to do none of and haven't done in 3 years, and try to get
an entry level job at programming and start over again or keep pursuing the
MCSE and stay in infrastructure?

cosmo

To: =?Utf-8?B?am9leTc0MDU1?=
> From Newsgroup: microsoft.public.certification
>
> Hello, I am in need of some career advice. Let me explain my situation. I
> graduated in 2004 with a MIS degree. I have been working since my graduation
> as a "Systems Analyst" basically doing helpdesk, support, sever upkeep, etc.
> and at the same time I am working on my MSCE. My company sent us to a
> Microsoft Trainer to go through the MCSE 2003 courses. In school, I studied
> known of this, all of my classes were programming, DB's, Business mgmt. and
> etc. Now, where I work we hired a "developer" about a year ago to come in

and
> do some sharepoint and SQL stuff and things like that and he just left us to
> make $70,000 doing nothing but developing for PDA's, cell phones and etc.

So,
> you may already know where I am going with this. What should I do? I know

for
> a fact if I want to stay in Infrastructure that I MUST get my MSCE or else I
> will never get out of support which is quite frankly the low in of the
> barrell for IT. So should I go with developing, which by the way since at my
> current job I get to do none of and haven't done in 3 years, and try to get
> an entry level job at programming and start over again or keep pursuing the
> MCSE and stay in infrastructure?
> --- Synchronet 3.13a-Win32 NewsLink 1.83

Good points. I am stuck in hardware field service as I do not have a MCSE, just
a MCP and a bunch of hardware certs. I must get that MCSE and a CCNA to get
that admin job. As for programming, I don't want to touch that, but the
developers make some serious $$$, and I believe that a Microsoft developer cert
could go a long way for you. Sound accurate?

Cosmo
OhioFreenet.org
--- Synchronet 3.13a-Win32 NewsLink 1.83
* Ohio Free Net - Elyria, Ohio - telnet://ohiofreenet.org

=?Utf-8?B?YXJpZXM=?=

I have also the same predicament, the difference is that I am an MCSE in
WIndows 2003 but my job currently in on retail business. I really want to
concetrate in Windows Server environment enhanced what I learned. It's very
difficult to decide if your a family man priorities are becoming different.

A little advise please.

Aries

"joey74055" wrote:

> Hello, I am in need of some career advice. Let me explain my situation. I
> graduated in 2004 with a MIS degree. I have been working since my graduation
> as a "Systems Analyst" basically doing helpdesk, support, sever upkeep, etc.
> and at the same time I am working on my MSCE. My company sent us to a
> Microsoft Trainer to go through the MCSE 2003 courses. In school, I studied
> known of this, all of my classes were programming, DB's, Business mgmt. and
> etc. Now, where I work we hired a "developer" about a year ago to come in and
> do some sharepoint and SQL stuff and things like that and he just left us to
> make $70,000 doing nothing but developing for PDA's, cell phones and etc. So,
> you may already know where I am going with this. What should I do? I know for
> a fact if I want to stay in Infrastructure that I MUST get my MSCE or else I
> will never get out of support which is quite frankly the low in of the
> barrell for IT. So should I go with developing, which by the way since at my
> current job I get to do none of and haven't done in 3 years, and try to get
> an entry level job at programming and start over again or keep pursuing the
> MCSE and stay in infrastructure?

Advance Your Career & Achieve Your IT Career Goals with our Online Phil Tennison C++ 0 01-02-2009 06:22 PM
career advice francis MCSD 6 05-18-2005 12:20 AM
career advice needed =?Utf-8?B?RnJhbms=?= MCSD 2 05-16-2004 07:46 PM
MCSE career advice WaterBarleyHopsYeast MCSE 22 12-09-2003 12:51 AM
Re: advice needed for career vs certification pietpuk MCSD 0 06-29-2003 08:57 AM

Advertisments