Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Closed email system

Closed email system

FiarHors

Hello,

I have recently tried to sign-up with ClearMyMail, an anti-spam service.
I cannot as my ISP uses a "closed email system." Would someone
explain this term to me? And what is the alternative? Explain please.

Thank you for your assistance.
--
Ron

"A professional politician is a professionally dishonorable man. In
order to get anywhere near high office he has to make so many
compromises and submit to so many humiliations that he becomes
indistinguishable from a streetwalker." ...H.L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Evan Platt

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 17:44:18 GMT, FiarHors <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have recently tried to sign-up with ClearMyMail, an anti-spam service.
> I cannot as my ISP uses a "closed email system." Would someone
>explain this term to me? And what is the alternative? Explain please.

How about ask your ISP? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Mike Easter

FiarHors wrote:

> I have recently tried to sign-up with ClearMyMail, an anti-spam
> service. I cannot as my ISP uses a "closed email system." Would
> someone explain this term to me? And what is the alternative? Explain

please.

ClearMyMail's service requires that the CMM system be able to pop your
mail from your ISP and then you pop your mail from CMM.

If there is anything which would interfere with CMM pop/ing your mail,
the system can't work.

Some providers provide webmail only, which can't be popped. That would
be a form of 'closed'. If your provider provides pop, but does not
provide access to the mailserver from a 'foreign' IP, then CMM would not
work for you, and your provider's pop server would be closed to CMM.

Some providers require that their pop server be accessed from an IP
address within their own system. Your connectivity and presumably your
mail provider is shaw.ca - which has pop and webmail both. If shaw's
pop requires access from a shaw IP address, then it wouldn't be
accessible to be pop/ed from/by the CMM

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Mike Easter wrote:
> FiarHors wrote:
>
>> I have recently tried to sign-up with ClearMyMail, an anti-spam
>> service. I cannot as my ISP uses a "closed email system." Would
>> someone explain this term to me? And what is the alternative?

> ClearMyMail's service requires that the CMM system be able to pop your
> mail from your ISP and then you pop your mail from CMM.

> Some providers require that their pop server be accessed from an IP
> address within their own system. Your connectivity and presumably
> your mail provider is shaw.ca - which has pop and webmail both. If
> shaw's pop requires access from a shaw IP address, then it wouldn't be
> accessible to be pop/ed from/by the CMM

Here's what shaw sez:

http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/CustomerCar...il+FAQs.htm#q4
4. How do I check my email when I'm away from home? - You can send and
receive email from anywhere using webmail.shaw.ca.

.... which is shaw's way of saying 'you can't use your email agent to pop
your mail when you are away from home' because you won't be accessing
the shaw server from a shaw IP, and it also means that you can't use
CMM's server to pop your mail at all because CMM doesn't have a shaw IP
either.

--
Mike Easter

Blinky the Shark

Mike Easter wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> FiarHors wrote:
>>
>>> I have recently tried to sign-up with ClearMyMail, an anti-spam
>>> service. I cannot as my ISP uses a "closed email system." Would
>>> someone explain this term to me? And what is the alternative?

>> ClearMyMail's service requires that the CMM system be able to pop your
>> mail from your ISP and then you pop your mail from CMM.

>> Some providers require that their pop server be accessed from an IP
>> address within their own system. Your connectivity and presumably
>> your mail provider is shaw.ca - which has pop and webmail both. If
>> shaw's pop requires access from a shaw IP address, then it wouldn't be
>> accessible to be pop/ed from/by the CMM

> Here's what shaw sez:
>
> http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/CustomerCar...il+FAQs.htm#q4
> 4. How do I check my email when I'm away from home? - You can send and
> receive email from anywhere using webmail.shaw.ca.
>
> ... which is shaw's way of saying 'you can't use your email agent to pop
> your mail when you are away from home' because you won't be accessing
> the shaw server from a shaw IP, and it also means that you can't use
> CMM's server to pop your mail at all because CMM doesn't have a shaw IP
> either.

What a pain in the ass. I'm glad I can pop my email from
whereverthehell I happen to be.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Mike Easter

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:

>> ... which is shaw's way of saying 'you can't use your email agent to
>> pop your mail when you are away from home' because you won't be
>> accessing the shaw server from a shaw IP, and it also means that you
>> can't use CMM's server to pop your mail at all because CMM doesn't
>> have a shaw IP either.

> What a pain in the ass. I'm glad I can pop my email from
> whereverthehell I happen to be.

I have a friend who has cable modem service which doesn't allow
'foreign' IP access to her pop and doesn't provide webmail without
additional cost:

Q. How Do I Access My Email When Away From Home? - A. Wave provides an
upgrade to your mail service called WebMail. The WebMail service allows
you to check your email account from any web browser, anywhere in the
world. WebMail is available for an additional $1.95 monthly.

They also have some other things wrong with their email service, such as
a history of dropping goodmail on the floor.

When I was trying to figure that one out, I took a piece of plaintext
mail which had disappeared and sent it from my normal provider and from
gmail; unsuccessfully, disappeared with no bounce. Chopped it in half,
unsuccessful both, no bounce. Chopped the half in half, unsuccessful
both, no bounce. Reduced it to one sentence, sucessful. During the
troubleshooting, I started copying to myself so that I could provide her
provider with a message id and time for the lost mails; and got the
recipient to make a request of her trouble desk that they correspond
with me about what my problems were.

They determined that the problem was caused by 'the spam filter'.
Naturally I had an opinion about what kind of spam filter drops normal
plaintext mail with few words on the floor.

--
Mike Easter

Plato

FiarHors wrote:

> I have recently tried to sign-up with ClearMyMail, an anti-spam service.
> I cannot as my ISP uses a "closed email system." Would someone
> explain this term to me? And what is the alternative? Explain please.

If that service auto sends a reply to any person who sends an email to
you, and if they have to fill out a form to reply, again, it may not be
worth it, as it's quite annoying to answer a persons email to you then
you get this notice/form you have to fill out to make sure they get your
work and/or answer to your problem. For example, if you use such a
service and require support from somebody like HP, your auto mail reply
will simply be ignored.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Mike Easter

Plato wrote:
> FiarHors wrote:
>>
>> I have recently tried to sign-up with ClearMyMail, an anti-spam
>> service.

> If that service auto sends a reply to any person who sends an email to
> you,

I was suspicious of C/R activity myself, but after looking at the site,
I'm pretty sure that none of that is going on.

CMM pops the mail and filters it. Whether they do any bounce/rejecting
at transaction or not is unclear. They do hold accepted and suspect
mail and make it accessible to the client but it doesn't download when
the client pops their filtered mail from CMM. The site makes no mention
of challenging anything.

http://www.clearmymail.com/how_we_block_spam_part1.aspx How our Spam
Blocker gives Total Protection

There's nothing in that diagram and its explanations that involves
challenges.

--
Mike Easter

FiarHors

FiarHors wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have recently tried to sign-up with ClearMyMail, an anti-spam service.
> I cannot as my ISP uses a "closed email system." Would someone explain
> this term to me? And what is the alternative? Explain please.
>
> Thank you for your assistance.

Thanks all for your info.