Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Microsoft CALs

Microsoft CALs

Nyerere

I have an existing MS Small Business Server (SBS) 2003 which is also
running Exchange 2003 server with 15 CALs (5 x 5 x 5). Currently I
have 12 users connecting to the server and I now I need to install two
more additional MS SBS Servers (WEB and FTP Servers) which will also
join the same domain as the current PDC. Do I need to purchase
additional CALs to support this setup OR can I can use the current 15
CALs for all three Domain Controllers?

bendsley bendsley is offline
Junior Member

The 15 CALs is 15 CALs for any server in the domain. You just need one per user. Now, if you were to add another domain, then you would need more CALs.
You would obviously need a server CAL for each of the two new Windows Server installs, but your user CALs remain the same.

Also next time, make sure you post in the right section of the forums, as you posted in the Cisco area.

Martin

Nyerere skrev:
> I have an existing MS Small Business Server (SBS) 2003 which is also
> running Exchange 2003 server with 15 CALs (5 x 5 x 5). Currently I
> have 12 users connecting to the server and I now I need to install two
> more additional MS SBS Servers (WEB and FTP Servers) which will also
> join the same domain as the current PDC. Do I need to purchase
> additional CALs to support this setup OR can I can use the current 15
> CALs for all three Domain Controllers?

All SMB servers has to be running as DC. If not it will power off within
30 min...

A SMB server is sold with at least 5 CALs, witch gives you 25 cals for
your setup.

Best regards
Martin