Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photojournalists: HDV frame grabs

Photojournalists: HDV frame grabs

Ben Miller

Looking for opinions on HDV frame grabs in photojournalism. Is this
the death of 35mm stills in the "newsroom"?

It is per this article by David Leeson, Dallas Morning News Executive
Producer - Video and New Media (consider the source, I know, I know):

http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1774

I don't buy this hyperbole:

"This is our chance to rise up and lead the world."

But I think it is certainly worth discussion...

Paul Furman

Ben Miller wrote:

> Looking for opinions on HDV frame grabs in photojournalism. Is this
> the death of 35mm stills in the "newsroom"?
>
> It is per this article by David Leeson, Dallas Morning News Executive
> Producer - Video and New Media (consider the source, I know, I know):
>
> http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1774
>
> I don't buy this hyperbole:
>
> "This is our chance to rise up and lead the world."
>
> But I think it is certainly worth discussion...

1920 x 1080 is 6 inches wide at 300dpi... sounds pretty useable.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://www.edgehill.net/1

Matt Ion

Paul Furman wrote:
> Ben Miller wrote:
>
>> Looking for opinions on HDV frame grabs in photojournalism. Is this
>> the death of 35mm stills in the "newsroom"?
>>
>> It is per this article by David Leeson, Dallas Morning News Executive
>> Producer - Video and New Media (consider the source, I know, I know):
>>
>> http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1774
>>
>> I don't buy this hyperbole:
>>
>> "This is our chance to rise up and lead the world."
>>
>> But I think it is certainly worth discussion...
>>

> 1920 x 1080 is 6 inches wide at 300dpi... sounds pretty useable.

Unless you also crank up the frame rate or at least the shutter speed,
this method isn't much good for scenes with even moderate action or
movement (unless you like motion blur).

Scott W

On Jun 21, 9:32 am, Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Paul Furman wrote:
> > Ben Miller wrote:

> >> Looking for opinions on HDV frame grabs in photojournalism. Is this
> >> the death of 35mm stills in the "newsroom"?

> >> It is per this article by David Leeson, Dallas Morning News Executive
> >> Producer - Video and New Media (consider the source, I know, I know):

> >>http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1774

> >> I don't buy this hyperbole:

> >> "This is our chance to rise up and lead the world."

> >> But I think it is certainly worth discussion...

> > 1920 x 1080 is 6 inches wide at 300dpi... sounds pretty useable.

> Unless you also crank up the frame rate or at least the shutter speed,
> this method isn't much good for scenes with even moderate action or
> movement (unless you like motion blur).-

If there is enough light the shutter speed is far faster then what the
frame
rate would dictate.

Scott

Scott W

On Jun 21, 7:32 am, Ben Miller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Looking for opinions on HDV frame grabs in photojournalism. Is this
> the death of 35mm stills in the "newsroom"?
>
> It is per this article by David Leeson, Dallas Morning News Executive
> Producer - Video and New Media (consider the source, I know, I know):
>
> http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1774
>
> I don't buy this hyperbole:
>
> "This is our chance to rise up and lead the world."
>
> But I think it is certainly worth discussion...

I don't think it is going to be the death of 35mm stills in the
newsroom, but it might have a
large impact down the road some.

But it seems to me that it would be somewhat limited, it might be fine
for small photos in a newspaper but for full page photos in a magazine
I doubt that is has the needed resolution.

Scott

Matt Ion

Scott W wrote:
> On Jun 21, 9:32 am, Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Paul Furman wrote:
>>> 1920 x 1080 is 6 inches wide at 300dpi... sounds pretty useable.

>> Unless you also crank up the frame rate or at least the shutter speed,
>> this method isn't much good for scenes with even moderate action or
>> movement (unless you like motion blur).-

> If there is enough light the shutter speed is far faster then what the
> frame rate would dictate.

High shutter speeds on low-framerate video create a 'stuttering' effect,
though. Not a look that journalistic video really goes for, especially
not sports video.

Scott W

On Jun 21, 10:51 am, Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Scott W wrote:
> >> Unless you also crank up the frame rate or at least the shutter speed,
> >> this method isn't much good for scenes with even moderate action or
> >> movement (unless you like motion blur).-

> > If there is enough light the shutter speed is far faster then what the
> > frame rate would dictate.

> High shutter speeds on low-framerate video create a 'stuttering' effect,
> though. Not a look that journalistic video really goes for, especially
> not sports video.

If you knew you were going to mainly be going after frame grabs then
it would make sense.
And if you really wanted the motion blur it could probably be added to
the video after the capture with digital processing.

Scott

Philip Homburg

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
Ben Miller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Looking for opinions on HDV frame grabs in photojournalism. Is this
>the death of 35mm stills in the "newsroom"?

It depends on the quality (and I'm not referring to the technical quality
of the images) you want.

Still picture photography is very different from movies. What makes sense
in one world doesn't work in the other and vice versa.

So essentially the photographer will have work twice as hard: one time
for the stills, and once more for the movies.

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "Ben Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Looking for opinions on HDV frame grabs in photojournalism. Is this
> the death of 35mm stills in the "newsroom"?
>
> It is per this article by David Leeson, Dallas Morning News Executive
> Producer - Video and New Media (consider the source, I know, I know):
>
> http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1774
>
> I don't buy this hyperbole:
>
> "This is our chance to rise up and lead the world."
>
> But I think it is certainly worth discussion...

The photos are undoubtely excellent, very nice texture and colours, but why
use 35 mm anyway when there are so nice digital still cameras?Both my
camcorder (Sony DCR HC-32 E sd mini dv) and still camera are so small that I
can take bothWhile it's impossible to *use* both at the same time, using
them separately makes sense.I'm of course far off being a reporter,I'm
mainly a snapshot photographer, but anyway.....

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

John McWilliams

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
> ? "Ben Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Looking for opinions on HDV frame grabs in photojournalism. Is this
>> the death of 35mm stills in the "newsroom"?
>>
>> It is per this article by David Leeson, Dallas Morning News Executive
>> Producer - Video and New Media (consider the source, I know, I know):
>>
>> http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1774
>>
>> I don't buy this hyperbole:
>>
>> "This is our chance to rise up and lead the world."
>>
>> But I think it is certainly worth discussion...
>>

> The photos are undoubtely excellent, very nice texture and colours, but why
> use 35 mm anyway when there are so nice digital still cameras?Both my
> camcorder (Sony DCR HC-32 E sd mini dv) and still camera are so small that I
> can take bothWhile it's impossible to *use* both at the same time, using
> them separately makes sense.I'm of course far off being a reporter,I'm
> mainly a snapshot photographer, but anyway.....

I suspect where this'll be used is in some large news orgs. that have
both print and/or web plus broadcast operations. One interviewer, one
camera man. With an HD recorder, they can grab decent head shots or
scene setters off the live or recorded feed, and save the cost of a
second photog.

There are many times when this wouldn't work.

--
john mcwilliams

ringing but no sound with NM-HDV E1 idanfain@gmail.com Cisco 0 10-12-2006 12:46 PM
Are Video Frame Grabs Finally Fit To Print? jc Digital Photography 1 07-02-2006 03:10 AM
HDV forum HDVforum.net DVD Video 0 10-25-2004 04:21 AM
Any connecting Nortel Option 11 PBX's over T1 using NM-HDV's ? root Cisco 0 07-21-2004 08:07 PM
for sale dsp chips for nm-hdv module mman Cisco 0 06-13-2004 03:20 PM

Advertisments