Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > My experiences with personal and small business VOIP

My experiences with personal and small business VOIP

relaxandchillout@gmail.com

Fwiw I have been a user of VOIP for about three years and I summarise
my experiences so far as follows:

BT/BBV - I used this a lot first on a Cisco ATA 186 then on BT Voyager
10v. The call quality and connectivity has always been excellent but
dealing with BT is a pain. This was made worse when they 'upgraded' me
from an 055 No. to an 056 No. (which introduced limited connectivity
from a number of cable and mobile operators!) They seem expensive for
small business use (UK landlines) so reluctantly I wont be going this
way...

Sipgate - Their web interface, voice mail and free inbound No. were
great only the call quality I have had to UK landlines has been very
patchy/ropey sometimes unusable! (I was using the Cisco ATA 186 - I
suppose I will always wonder if a more modern ATA perhaps with a
different Codec would have been better - or was/is their network in UK
just cr**)

Skype - I have been very impressed with Skype-to-Skype quality and
reliability but far less so with Skypeout. Skypeout is just so patchy
for UK landlines. My experience would be 1 call in 3 perfect, 1 in 3
with drop outs and 1 in 3 total cr** thus I couldn't currently
recommend Skypeout for business use... (Their SMS and audio
conferencing stuff is nice though).

So I am now going to give Gradwell with the Camrivox Flexor 151 a
try...

Cheers,
Stefan

Mark

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 15:02:51 -0000, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Fwiw I have been a user of VOIP for about three years and I summarise
>my experiences so far as follows:
>
>BT/BBV - I used this a lot first on a Cisco ATA 186 then on BT Voyager
>10v. The call quality and connectivity has always been excellent but
>dealing with BT is a pain. This was made worse when they 'upgraded' me
>from an 055 No. to an 056 No. (which introduced limited connectivity
>from a number of cable and mobile operators!) They seem expensive for
>small business use (UK landlines) so reluctantly I wont be going this
>way...

No surprise there, really.

>Sipgate - Their web interface, voice mail and free inbound No. were
>great only the call quality I have had to UK landlines has been very
>patchy/ropey sometimes unusable! (I was using the Cisco ATA 186 - I
>suppose I will always wonder if a more modern ATA perhaps with a
>different Codec would have been better - or was/is their network in UK
>just cr**)

<Can't comment.> But I'm sure others will

>Skype - I have been very impressed with Skype-to-Skype quality and
>reliability but far less so with Skypeout. Skypeout is just so patchy
>for UK landlines. My experience would be 1 call in 3 perfect, 1 in 3
>with drop outs and 1 in 3 total cr** thus I couldn't currently
>recommend Skypeout for business use... (Their SMS and audio
>conferencing stuff is nice though).

That appears to be a very common experience.

>So I am now going to give Gradwell with the Camrivox Flexor 151 a
>try...

You should also try Voipfone too.

News Reader

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Fwiw I have been a user of VOIP for about three years and I summarise
> my experiences so far as follows:
>
> BT/BBV - I used this a lot first on a Cisco ATA 186 then on BT Voyager
> 10v. The call quality and connectivity has always been excellent but
> dealing with BT is a pain. This was made worse when they 'upgraded' me
> from an 055 No. to an 056 No. (which introduced limited connectivity
> from a number of cable and mobile operators!) They seem expensive for
> small business use (UK landlines) so reluctantly I wont be going this
> way...
>
> Sipgate - Their web interface, voice mail and free inbound No. were
> great only the call quality I have had to UK landlines has been very
> patchy/ropey sometimes unusable! (I was using the Cisco ATA 186 - I
> suppose I will always wonder if a more modern ATA perhaps with a
> different Codec would have been better - or was/is their network in UK
> just cr**)
>
> Skype - I have been very impressed with Skype-to-Skype quality and
> reliability but far less so with Skypeout. Skypeout is just so patchy
> for UK landlines. My experience would be 1 call in 3 perfect, 1 in 3
> with drop outs and 1 in 3 total cr** thus I couldn't currently
> recommend Skypeout for business use... (Their SMS and audio
> conferencing stuff is nice though).
>
> So I am now going to give Gradwell with the Camrivox Flexor 151 a
> try...
>
> Cheers,
> Stefan

Hi,

If their pricing suits you, whilst I am reluctant to use them (price
suitability), quality is exceptional with very little downtime, etc. re: the
Betamax family (VoipCheap.com, etc., etc.).

Best wishes,

News Reader