Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Any good free spyware scan that I can run in bat file so I can schedule it daily

Any good free spyware scan that I can run in bat file so I can schedule it daily

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

I have a WinXP notebook.

I created a bat file, that contains commands to run a Avast Antivirus, AdAware and Spybot from the
command line in a bat file, that I run nightly.

My firewall Outpost has a spyware scanner but I can not run it in bat mode. When I ran this, it
detected several spyware program that I did not know about. However, I rarely ever run it, because
it does not contain a spyware scan that I can schedule.

Is there any free good spyware scanners that I can run from the command line in bat mode.
I would want it to run and not prompt me and then exit on it's own.

Thanks much,

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine
Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

NOTE: My web home page: www.seldin.net

David H. Lipman

From: "Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| I have a WinXP notebook.
|
| I created a bat file, that contains commands to run a Avast Antivirus, AdAware and Spybot
| from the command line in a bat file, that I run nightly.
|
| My firewall Outpost has a spyware scanner but I can not run it in bat mode. When I ran
| this, it detected several spyware program that I did not know about. However, I rarely
| ever run it, because it does not contain a spyware scan that I can schedule.
|
| Is there any free good spyware scanners that I can run from the command line in bat mode.
| I would want it to run and not prompt me and then exit on it's own.
|
| Thanks much,
|
| Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

SpyBot S&D runs by executed with command line switches and you can create a Scheduled Task
to run on a regular basis or from a BAT or CMD file.

"C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /AUTOCHECK /AUTOFIX /AUTOCLOSE

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Sebastian G.

David H. Lipman wrote:

> SpyBot S&D runs by executed with command line switches and you can create a Scheduled Task
> to run on a regular basis or from a BAT or CMD file.
>
> "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /AUTOCHECK /AUTOFIX /AUTOCLOSE

Isn't this utterly braindead for creating a single report of a likely
infected system?

David H. Lipman

From: "Sebastian G." <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Isn't this utterly braindead for creating a single report of a likely
| infected system?

Absolutely not !

--

David H. Lipman wrote:

> From: "Sebastian G." <(E-Mail Removed)>
>

> | Isn't this utterly braindead for creating a single report of a likely
> | infected system?
>
> Absolutely not !

For the command line functionality this is clear. But running it as a
scheduled task for a single usage, and then the /AUTOFIX switch?

David H. Lipman

From: "Sebastian G." <(E-Mail Removed)>

| For the command line functionality this is clear. But running it as a
| scheduled task for a single usage, and then the /AUTOFIX switch?

Who said "single usage" ?
The subject line states... "...so I can schedule it daily"

--

David H. Lipman wrote:

> | For the command line functionality this is clear. But running it as a
> | scheduled task for a single usage, and then the /AUTOFIX switch?
>
> Who said "single usage" ?

Implied by "spyware scan."

> The subject line states... "...so I can schedule it daily"

Yes, this was about to be debunked as utter nonsense. Spyware scans are only
useful is the system is already subjected to compromise, whereas after the
analalysis by the scan the system needs to be rebuild anyway.

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

David and Sebastion,

Thank you for getting back to me. I already run Avast quick scan, Spybot and AdAware (AdAware paid
version) nightly in batch mode. I also use Spyware Blaster.

By chance, my Firewall (Outpost - paid version) has a Spyware scan that you must run interactively.
I already had "real time" protection enabled on this software. When I ran a full scan using
Outpost's Spyware scan seveal Spyware's came up. I was surprised that I had these on my machine,
since I do run nightly scans of the above packages. I know that security protection is usually
suggested by doing a layering of protection. I found out that Outpost is presently setup to not
enable command line or bat scheduling for for their Spyware scan.

That's why I was wondering if there were any other products that are "free" that you may be able to
recommend besides the one you mentioned (I already use Spybot) that I can run in a bat file.

As you probably figured out, I am lazy and do not want have to run interactively on 5 seperate home
machines a Spyware software interactively.

If you do know of any other good Spyware scan free software that can be scheduled and run from a bat
file, can you guys or anyone else please let me know, other than the one I am already using
(Spybot).

I do know of several free web site scans, but again, that means I have to have each machine go to
that web site to run the scan on each machine. Nice being free, but a bit time consuming.

Thank you for your time.

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine
Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address: (E-Mail Removed)

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC wrote:

> I already run Avast quick scan, Spybot and AdAware (AdAware paid
> version) nightly in batch mode.

WTF? Why are you doing such a nonsense?

> I also use Spyware Blaster.

For what purpose?

> By chance, my Firewall (Outpost - paid version) has a Spyware scan that you must run interactively.

Outpost is no firewall. Why is this crap even installed?

> I already had "real time" protection enabled on this software.

WTF? You have this thing permanently installed on a system?

> When I ran a full scan using Outpost's Spyware scan seveal Spyware's came
> up. I was surprised that I had these on my machine, since I do run nightly
> scans of the above packages.

Why are you surprised? You intentionally installed software to make the
system insecure.

> I know that security protection is usually suggested by doing a layering
> of protection.

Yes, and it's quite obvious why this suggestion is stupid.

> That's why I was wondering if there were any other products that are "free" that you may be able to
> recommend besides the one you mentioned (I already use Spybot) that I can run in a bat file.

What about 'sigcheck' and other trivialities which actually work?

> As you probably figured out, I am lazy and do not want have to run interactively on 5 seperate home
> machines a Spyware software interactively.

And why should should one do such a thing anyway?

> If you do know of any other good Spyware scan free software

"any other good" implies that you would any good, or at least that any good
one would exist at all.

> I do know of several free web site scans, but again, that means I have to have each machine go to
> that web site to run the scan on each machine. Nice being free, but a bit time consuming.

And absolutely useless.

Now, would you please tell me WTF you were thinking with totally messing up
a computer with a big load of crap and then wondering when it becomes an
insecure mess?

David H. Lipman

From: "Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| David and Sebastion,
|
| Thank you for getting back to me. I already run Avast quick scan, Spybot and AdAware
| (AdAware paid version) nightly in batch mode. I also use Spyware Blaster.
|
| By chance, my Firewall (Outpost - paid version) has a Spyware scan that you must run
| interactively. I already had "real time" protection enabled on this software. When I ran a
| full scan using Outpost's Spyware scan seveal Spyware's came up. I was surprised that I
| had these on my machine, since I do run nightly scans of the above packages. I know that
| security protection is usually suggested by doing a layering of protection. I found out
| that Outpost is presently setup to not enable command line or bat scheduling for for their
| Spyware scan.
|
| That's why I was wondering if there were any other products that are "free" that you may
| be able to recommend besides the one you mentioned (I already use Spybot) that I can run
| in a bat file.
|
| As you probably figured out, I am lazy and do not want have to run interactively on 5
| seperate home machines a Spyware software interactively.
|
| If you do know of any other good Spyware scan free software that can be scheduled and run
| from a bat file, can you guys or anyone else please let me know, other than the one I am
| already using (Spybot).
|
| I do know of several free web site scans, but again, that means I have to have each
| machine go to that web site to run the scan on each machine. Nice being free, but a bit
| time consuming.
|
| Thank you for your time.
|
| Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

It is MORE important to practice Safe Hex and prevent infections than the then deal with
malware after the fact.