Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > W2K Prof. to W2K Prof. File & Printer Sharing Not Working

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?=

Hi:

I have two W2K Prof. computers (192.168.0.100 & 101) on a DLink wireless
router (192.168.0.1). Both computers' NICs have File and Printer Sharing
enabled. Both computers are in the same workgroup. However, I cannot
see/share folders and printers from either computer to the other.

If I create a share folder, the permissions dialog box only sees Users from
the same computer, i.e. the Look In drop down is greyed-out and won't let me
change to the other computer.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!!

Malke

Bob wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I have two W2K Prof. computers (192.168.0.100 & 101) on a DLink
> wireless
> router (192.168.0.1). Both computers' NICs have File and Printer
> Sharing
> enabled. Both computers are in the same workgroup. However, I cannot
> see/share folders and printers from either computer to the other.
>
> If I create a share folder, the permissions dialog box only sees Users
> from the same computer, i.e. the Look In drop down is greyed-out and
> won't let me change to the other computer.
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide!!!

With Win2k, you need to create identical user accounts/passwords on each
machine. Also, make sure any firewalls have the lan IP range in as
Trusted.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Developer

Hello,
I have Win2000 (192.168.0.251) and WinXP Pro (192.168.0.253) computers
in the same workgroup, connected to a NetGear router. The Win2000
computer recognizes that the WinXP computer is in the group, but can't
connect to it. The WinXP computer says the group is not available.

Thanks for any suggestions....

Malke wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>

>>Hi:
>>
>>I have two W2K Prof. computers (192.168.0.100 & 101) on a DLink
>>wireless
>>router (192.168.0.1). Both computers' NICs have File and Printer
>>Sharing
>>enabled. Both computers are in the same workgroup. However, I cannot
>>see/share folders and printers from either computer to the other.
>>
>>If I create a share folder, the permissions dialog box only sees Users
>>from the same computer, i.e. the Look In drop down is greyed-out and
>>won't let me change to the other computer.
>>
>>Thanks for any help you can provide!!!

> With Win2k, you need to create identical user accounts/passwords on each
> machine. Also, make sure any firewalls have the lan IP range in as
> Trusted.
>
> Malke

Developer

I can get to shares on the other computer by typing its address. For
example, \\192.168.0.253\SharedFolder works. Can't browse by name, and
connecting to the shared dvd drive using the IP address doesn't seem to
work.

Developer wrote:

> Hello,
> I have Win2000 (192.168.0.251) and WinXP Pro (192.168.0.253) computers
> in the same workgroup, connected to a NetGear router. The Win2000
> computer recognizes that the WinXP computer is in the group, but can't
> connect to it. The WinXP computer says the group is not available.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions....
>
> Malke wrote:
>
>> Bob wrote:
>>

>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> I have two W2K Prof. computers (192.168.0.100 & 101) on a DLink
>>> wireless
>>> router (192.168.0.1). Both computers' NICs have File and Printer
>>> Sharing
>>> enabled. Both computers are in the same workgroup. However, I cannot
>>> see/share folders and printers from either computer to the other.
>>>
>>> If I create a share folder, the permissions dialog box only sees Users
>>> from the same computer, i.e. the Look In drop down is greyed-out and
>>> won't let me change to the other computer.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help you can provide!!!

>> With Win2k, you need to create identical user accounts/passwords on each
>> machine. Also, make sure any firewalls have the lan IP range in as
>> Trusted.
>>
>> Malke

Developer

I can get to shares on the other computer by typing its address. For
example, \\192.168.0.253\SharedFolder works. Can't browse by name, and
connecting to the shared dvd drive using the IP address doesn't seem to
work. Probably the app trying to use the share can't handle the IP
address...

Developer wrote:

> Hello,
> I have Win2000 (192.168.0.251) and WinXP Pro (192.168.0.253) computers
> in the same workgroup, connected to a NetGear router. The Win2000
> computer recognizes that the WinXP computer is in the group, but can't
> connect to it. The WinXP computer says the group is not available.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions....
>
> Malke wrote:
>
>> Bob wrote:
>>

>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> I have two W2K Prof. computers (192.168.0.100 & 101) on a DLink
>>> wireless
>>> router (192.168.0.1). Both computers' NICs have File and Printer
>>> Sharing
>>> enabled. Both computers are in the same workgroup. However, I cannot
>>> see/share folders and printers from either computer to the other.
>>>
>>> If I create a share folder, the permissions dialog box only sees Users
>>> from the same computer, i.e. the Look In drop down is greyed-out and
>>> won't let me change to the other computer.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help you can provide!!!

>> With Win2k, you need to create identical user accounts/passwords on each
>> machine. Also, make sure any firewalls have the lan IP range in as
>> Trusted.
>>
>> Malke

Eric Cross [MVP]

Greetings,

Ensure NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...hoot/netbt.htm

_____________
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"Developer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I can get to shares on the other computer by typing its address. For
> example, \\192.168.0.253\SharedFolder works. Can't browse by name, and
> connecting to the shared dvd drive using the IP address doesn't seem to
> work. Probably the app trying to use the share can't handle the IP
> address...
>

> Developer wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I have Win2000 (192.168.0.251) and WinXP Pro (192.168.0.253) computers in
>> the same workgroup, connected to a NetGear router. The Win2000 computer
>> recognizes that the WinXP computer is in the group, but can't connect to
>> it. The WinXP computer says the group is not available.
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions....
>>
>> Malke wrote:

>>> With Win2k, you need to create identical user accounts/passwords on each
>>> machine. Also, make sure any firewalls have the lan IP range in as
>>> Trusted.
>>>
>>> Malke

Developer

Thanks, that did it.
It seems my computers were using the setting on the router; when I
changed routers, I didn't change the settings on the computers.

> Ensure NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled.
>
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...hoot/netbt.htm
>
> _____________
> Eric Cross
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Developer

Spoke too soon...
I mistakenly added the NetWare Ipx/Spx NetBIOS protocol. The networking
seemed to work. When I added NetBIOS to the TCP/IP protocol (and
removed the NetWare junk), it didn't work.

Thanks for the reply.

> Ensure NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled.
>
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...hoot/netbt.htm

Tanya

You will have to make sure you remove that NetWare Ipx/Spx NetBIOS
protocol from all of them and reboot all.. Leave netbios over tcp/ip
enabled. Then go and see if TCP/IP is bound to Client for Microsoft
Networking and Printer and Filesharing. Sounds like your bindings got
changed.
"Developer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Spoke too soon...
> I mistakenly added the NetWare Ipx/Spx NetBIOS protocol. The networking
> seemed to work. When I added NetBIOS to the TCP/IP protocol (and removed
> the NetWare junk), it didn't work.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>

>> Ensure NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled.
>>
>> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...hoot/netbt.htm

Developer

Thanks for the help, Tanya.
The laptop (WinXP Pro) can browse the shares on the desktop (Win2000
sp3). When I try to browse the network on the desktop computer, it
recognizes the workgroup, but then says it is not accessible.
Could this have something to do with my making the network settings from
an admin account, while my daily account is not in the admin group?
Thanks again...