Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Question

Wireless Question

Tony P.

Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop running Windows XP SP2. The PC uses both
an internal NIC card as well as an internal wireless lan card. When I switch
from NICK to wireless, I disable the NICK connection and enable the wireless
connection. The same thing goes when switching from wireless to NICK. Is
this method really necessary? Or is there an easier way to switch
connections?

--
Thanks,
Tony

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

In most cases, if you have two connections, the computer will use the faster one except you have assigned the metric manually. However, the computer may have an issue with two NICs use the same IP range. You may want to create a batch file to auto switch between the NICs.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Tony P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop running Windows XP SP2. The PC uses both
an internal NIC card as well as an internal wireless lan card. When I switch
from NICK to wireless, I disable the NICK connection and enable the wireless
connection. The same thing goes when switching from wireless to NICK. Is
this method really necessary? Or is there an easier way to switch
connections?

--
Thanks,
Tony
For replies, please correct my email address.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Tony P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop running Windows XP SP2. The PC uses
> both
> an internal NIC card as well as an internal wireless lan card. When I
> switch
> from NICK to wireless, I disable the NICK connection and enable the
> wireless
> connection. The same thing goes when switching from wireless to NICK. Is
> this method really necessary? Or is there an easier way to switch
> connections?
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Tony
> For replies, please correct my email address.

Tony P.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. Works perfectly.

Tony

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...