Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Show commands

Show commands

James

Hi all,

I have a problem at work that is getting a little bit personal now. We
have an application that spans our local network (the web part) and the
database where the usernames come from (over a VPN, 100Mb).

This application fails every morning with an unspecified error and we
are told without a doubt it's a network issue. Me being the network
engineer have exhausted every possibility going looking into this.

I have been thinking, is the 4506 getting over-loaded, or are the
un-contended blades using up too much of their backplane? Is there a
show command that will tell me how much bandwidth is being used for the
blade involved? I've been looking for this fault now for ages and am now
lost.

I have Cisco Works LMS 2.6 if that helps, but I'm not a complete expert
on the fault-finding side of it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Kind regards

James M

Trendkill

On Jun 20, 6:32 pm, James <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem at work that is getting a little bit personal now. We
> have an application that spans our local network (the web part) and the
> database where the usernames come from (over a VPN, 100Mb).
>
> This application fails every morning with an unspecified error and we
> are told without a doubt it's a network issue. Me being the network
> engineer have exhausted every possibility going looking into this.
>
> I have been thinking, is the 4506 getting over-loaded, or are the
> un-contended blades using up too much of their backplane? Is there a
> show command that will tell me how much bandwidth is being used for the
> blade involved? I've been looking for this fault now for ages and am now
> lost.
>
> I have Cisco Works LMS 2.6 if that helps, but I'm not a complete expert
> on the fault-finding side of it.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Kind regards
>
> James M

What is failing? Logon? Database replication? Transfer? Queries or
transactions? In my years, I have seen a handful of switch problems,
but mostly these are related to bad modules, bad ports, bad ASICs,
etc. Generally speaking, your switch will not be getting overloaded
unless you are running some hardcore stuff like multiple gig ether-
channel database replication, and even then, multiple sessions. Not
to say that folks can't nail a switch with poor configuration
(spanning vlans or trunks, etc).

Where does the VPN go? What kind of bandwidth is it? 100 meg tells
me the fast ethernet connection to the VPN, but does not tell me if
that is LAN or WAN and where the other side of the VPN is. If this
VPN is over a internet T1, and the transaction that fails is a gig
file transfer to kick off the day, then you may be hitting a
bottleneck, but generally speaking, nothing should 'fail'. I guess if
someone is nailing the pipe and this is a sensitive application, it
could be timing out, but that is what needs to be analyzed.

Is the transaction that fails run at other times of the day? Does it
complete successfully? How do you get beyond the error, wait and
retry? Once we see some answers, we can hopefully go to the next
steps...but I would very much doubt that you have a switch backplane
or hardware problem here.

J.Cottingim

> This application fails every morning with an unspecified error and we
> are told without a doubt it's a network issue. Me being the network
> engineer have exhausted every possibility going looking into this.

Have you been able to predict the time that it fails based on past
failures.
You may be looking at a time out of some sort. My guess would be the
VPN. Is it an IPSec VPN?
What kind of LAN network do you have? If you have any LANE, I've known
some weird things to happen sscop.

Have you tried implementing QoS on the VPN? Is there any other traffic
in compitition for bandwidth with the VPN?

I have to agree with Trendkill... it's not a switch problem - unless
all the applications that flow through the switch fails at the same
time.

It seems there are more questions than answers here.

JC

James

All,

Thank you for the replys. This is my setup,

two clustered 6509s feeding with etherchannel a 4506. The core via a
firewall has a 100Mb link to another site. The application that had a
problem was a web server based on our site, that got the username and
password from the other site. Things were timing out when connecting
early in the morning.

On chatting with a few of our systems guys, it was apparent there were a
few more problems than just this, and it all started happening the time
our SAN was introduced. I had a look where our SAN was patched onto our
4506, and all the network cards for it had been put onto a 48 port,
contended blade and not one of the uncontended blades. Basically lots of
our servers weren't spread out evenly enough over the switch, so I had a
sort out, and so far, things are a lot better.

Next time I ask a question I'll supply a lot more detail, but at the
time of writing, I just wanted to get something down.

Many thanks

James

J.Cottingim wrote:
>> This application fails every morning with an unspecified error and we
>> are told without a doubt it's a network issue. Me being the network
>> engineer have exhausted every possibility going looking into this.

> Have you been able to predict the time that it fails based on past
> failures.
> You may be looking at a time out of some sort. My guess would be the
> VPN. Is it an IPSec VPN?
> What kind of LAN network do you have? If you have any LANE, I've known
> some weird things to happen sscop.
>
> Have you tried implementing QoS on the VPN? Is there any other traffic
> in compitition for bandwidth with the VPN?
>
> I have to agree with Trendkill... it's not a switch problem - unless
> all the applications that flow through the switch fails at the same
> time.
>
> It seems there are more questions than answers here.
>
> JC

Using the 'show cam' and 'clear cam' commands Chris Cisco 7 05-03-2006 09:34 PM
WIC-1ADSL & Show Commands John Cisco 1 09-23-2004 09:51 AM
Need Help Differentiating Bad Commands From Incomplete Commands Tim Stanka Python 1 08-02-2004 02:08 AM
1760 ADSL show commands Bob Cisco 0 04-06-2004 01:48 PM
Re: man pages for C commands (GCC commands) Ben Pfaff C Programming 4 06-28-2003 06:21 PM

Advertisments