Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Test SFP on Catalyst 3560

Test SFP on Catalyst 3560

MattG

Today I ran into a situation where a gigabit ethernet link went down
in a remote site. on one end of the connection was a Catalyst 3560 w/
a GLC-SX-MM= SFP module connecting on the other end to a Catalst 2950
w/ a GBIC of some type.

The gig interface on both ends was showing down/down. I eventually had
to replace the GLC-SX-MM= SFP with a new one and the connection came
up immediatley. My question is, is there a way to test/diagnose the
SFP modules from the CLI to determine if it is functioning properly or
not, rather than having to make a 200 mile round trip drive to analyze
this onsite?

Trendkill

On Jun 20, 5:08 pm, MattG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Today I ran into a situation where a gigabit ethernet link went down
> in a remote site. on one end of the connection was a Catalyst 3560 w/
> a GLC-SX-MM= SFP module connecting on the other end to a Catalst 2950
> w/ a GBIC of some type.
>
> The gig interface on both ends was showing down/down. I eventually had
> to replace the GLC-SX-MM= SFP with a new one and the connection came
> up immediatley. My question is, is there a way to test/diagnose the
> SFP modules from the CLI to determine if it is functioning properly or
> not, rather than having to make a 200 mile round trip drive to analyze
> this onsite?

In short, no. If you have someone there, and hopefully you have some
spare ports in the switch, you can move to different ports, or leave a
spare GBIC in a second slot for trial/error, but there is no official
way to test GBICs or SFPs in IOS/Catalyst software.