Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computer locks up

Reply
Thread Tools

Computer locks up

 
 
L.D.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2007
I just started to using my bank web site to look over my account. I have
2 computers, a vista laptop and a xp desktop both wireless with my home
network. The xp connects fine. The vista locks up every time, never got
on yet. The vista has never locked up with me before on any web site or
for any other reason. What might be the problem?
L.D.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2007
L.D. wrote:

> I just started to using my bank web site to look over my account. I
> have 2 computers, a vista laptop and a xp desktop both wireless with
> my home network. The xp connects fine. The vista locks up every time,
> never got on yet. The vista has never locked up with me before on any
> web site or for any other reason. What might be the problem?


Using SeaMonkey on both? If not, try it (or Firefox) on the laptop.

--
-bts
-Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Evan Platt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2007

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 11:31:27 -0500, "L.D." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I just started to using my bank web site to look over my account. I have
>2 computers, a vista laptop and a xp desktop both wireless with my home
>network. The xp connects fine. The vista locks up every time, never got
>on yet. The vista has never locked up with me before on any web site or
>for any other reason. What might be the problem?


Try a different browser.

Or provide some details about the vista laptop - make, model, memory,
etc.
--
To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
 
Reply With Quote
 
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2007
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> L.D. wrote:
>
>
>>I just started to using my bank web site to look over my account. I
>>have 2 computers, a vista laptop and a xp desktop both wireless with
>>my home network. The xp connects fine. The vista locks up every time,
>>never got on yet. The vista has never locked up with me before on any
>>web site or for any other reason. What might be the problem?

>
>
> Using SeaMonkey on both? If not, try it (or Firefox) on the laptop.


He's using SeaMonkey to post with so it's probably not an IE issue.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2007
Rgr wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> L.D. wrote:
>>> I just started to using my bank web site to look over my account. I
>>> have 2 computers, a vista laptop and a xp desktop both wireless
>>> with my home network. The xp connects fine. The vista locks up
>>> every time, never got on yet. The vista has never locked up with me
>>> before on any web site or for any other reason. What might be the
>>> problem?

>>
>> Using SeaMonkey on both? If not, try it (or Firefox) on the laptop.

>
> He's using SeaMonkey to post with so it's probably not an IE issue.


Possibly. He may be posting from the desktop, and use IE on the laptop.

Also, as it is a bank site, it may be detecting IE (7?) and sending some
ActiveX control that doesn't work beyond IE6. With little details,
everything is a guess.

--
-bts
-Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck
 
Reply With Quote
 
L.D.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2007
The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5100 with 1G memory. It had 512mb and I
added another 512 of exactly the same brand etc. I also have an old
win98 in the shop on the same network. I haven't tried to connect to the
bank with it, I will later. All three are using Seamonkey, same version.
L.D.


Evan Platt wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 11:31:27 -0500, "L.D." <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> I just started to using my bank web site to look over my account. I have
>> 2 computers, a vista laptop and a xp desktop both wireless with my home
>> network. The xp connects fine. The vista locks up every time, never got
>> on yet. The vista has never locked up with me before on any web site or
>> for any other reason. What might be the problem?

>
> Try a different browser.
>
> Or provide some details about the vista laptop - make, model, memory,
> etc.

 
Reply With Quote
 
L.D.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2007

L.D. wrote:
> The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5100 with 1G memory. It had 512mb and I
> added another 512 of exactly the same brand etc. I also have an old
> win98 in the shop on the same network. I haven't tried to connect to the
> bank with it, I will later. All three are using Seamonkey, same version.
> L.D.
>I am in out in my shop right now on the win98 computer and it gets the web

page OK. I didn't mention I have not signed up yet with a name and
password.
Was just looking the site over. sooo I haven't even tried to go into a
secure
part of the site yet on any of them.
L.D.

>
> Evan Platt wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 11:31:27 -0500, "L.D." <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I just started to using my bank web site to look over my account. I
>>> have 2 computers, a vista laptop and a xp desktop both wireless with
>>> my home network. The xp connects fine. The vista locks up every time,
>>> never got on yet. The vista has never locked up with me before on any
>>> web site or for any other reason. What might be the problem?

>>
>> Try a different browser.
>>
>> Or provide some details about the vista laptop - make, model, memory,
>> etc.

 
Reply With Quote
 
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2007
L.D. wrote:
>
> L.D. wrote:
>
>> The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5100 with 1G memory. It had 512mb and I
>> added another 512 of exactly the same brand etc. I also have an old
>> win98 in the shop on the same network. I haven't tried to connect to
>> the bank with it, I will later. All three are using Seamonkey, same
>> version.
>> L.D.
>> I am in out in my shop right now on the win98 computer and it gets the
>> web

>
> page OK. I didn't mention I have not signed up yet with a name and
> password.
> Was just looking the site over. sooo I haven't even tried to go into a
> secure
> part of the site yet on any of them.
> L.D.


This could possibly be a question for the bank's IT people.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2007
L.D. wrote:

> .. I didn't mention I have not signed up yet with a name and password.
> Was just looking the site over. sooo I haven't even tried to go into
> a secure part of the site yet on any of them.


In that case, can you reveal the URL of the bank/page in question, and
perhaps a Vista user in this group can test it? And I'll look at the
code and see if anything looks unusual.

--
-bts
-Vista, schmista; that lets me out
 
Reply With Quote
 
L.D.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2007

OK, I am now on the laptop and used Internet Explorer and got on the
page OK. Then went to Seamonkey and ,guess what, got on ok. I had tried
at least 7 or 8 times over a 3 day period with no success. The site is
http://www.texaspremier.com/ I hope it will continue to work.
Thanks L.D.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> L.D. wrote:
>
>> .. I didn't mention I have not signed up yet with a name and password.
>> Was just looking the site over. sooo I haven't even tried to go into
>> a secure part of the site yet on any of them.

>
> In that case, can you reveal the URL of the bank/page in question, and
> perhaps a Vista user in this group can test it? And I'll look at the
> code and see if anything looks unusual.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Computer locks up solid during video work Bob Computer Support 5 02-25-2005 10:17 AM
Computer locks up Will Greene Computer Support 5 03-03-2004 06:50 AM
DVD locks up computer James Thomas Computer Support 12 02-05-2004 07:55 PM
Computer locks up Hooter Computer Support 2 11-12-2003 01:04 PM
Certain web pages locks up my computer. Here is one of them. What's upwith this? Explorer Man HTML 17 11-05-2003 12:15 AM



Advertisments