Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless w/o Internet

Wireless w/o Internet

=?Utf-8?B?bXJpY2g=?=

I'm try to set up a small home network for my son so a printer can be shared.
He does not have the internet nor plans on getting it (?). The network would
be between a Gateway desktop and a HP laptop. Laptop has an internal wireless
card. The desktop has no wireless hardware. His printer is hardwired to the
desktop. Would he use a wireless router or is this where a printer server
comes into play? Your help would be appreciated.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Get a Wireless Router, connect your desktop to the Router with wire and the
laptop would connect Wirelessly.
The printer can stay on the desktop and be shared with any computer that is
connected to the Network.
Most Routers would let you block the laptop from accessing the Internet, if
you wish to do so.
You should know (that even now without any hardware of your own) Wireless
computers can connect through any open Wireless Network (like the neighbor's
next door) to the Internet . So if it is an issue (I.e your son going on the
Internet), you should be aware of it.
May be this can Help too.
settings,http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Basic XP -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"mrich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm try to set up a small home network for my son so a printer can be
> shared.
> He does not have the internet nor plans on getting it (?). The network
> would
> be between a Gateway desktop and a HP laptop. Laptop has an internal
> wireless
> card. The desktop has no wireless hardware. His printer is hardwired to
> the
> desktop. Would he use a wireless router or is this where a printer server
> comes into play? Your help would be appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?bXJpY2g=?=

Thank you for your solution. During my search, I find wireless routers use
web site setup. Are there any wireless routers that just Windows can setup?