Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Problem in running multiple sites on same IIS server

Problem in running multiple sites on same IIS server

pintoo

Hi,

I have 2 sites (Site A, B) running on same windows 2003 server
pointing to different home directories.

User logs into site A and is shown a.aspx page and user credentials
are saved in cookies. There is a link to launch site B from Site A.
User clicks the link and is shown Site B - b.aspx. I have a crystal
report on b.aspx which user can run. Crystal report is exported into
pdf and saved to a folder on the server and displayed to user using
response.write()

The problem is...if user requests a crystal report and report is being
generated(it takes 2-4 mins to generate report)...but the user closes
the browser window(b.aspx).
Now if user clicks the link on site A(a.aspx) again to open Site
B(b.aspx) again....it is taking long time to display the page and
sometime the page request times out.

The problem I think is...because the webserver is creating,exporting
crystal report to PDF and it is a CPU intensive work....page is loaded
very slowly.

How IIS handles requests for multiple sites running on same server.
How to stop the report generation if user closes window(using unload
event...but how)

I think I am missing something simple here. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

bruce barker

requests for the same session are queued. this is probably what is
happening on site b. you can turn off session support on site b (at on
the page running xtal).

you should redesign site b to create the report in the background, and
allow the user to poll for it completion status.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)