Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Rob Tells It Like It Is With Canon's Mk III AF Problems!

Rob Tells It Like It Is With Canon's Mk III AF Problems!

Mark▓

PixelPix wrote:
> On Jun 20, 9:40 am, Rita ─ Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
>> I don't know much about Rob, but he seems to be telling it like it
>> is.
>>
>> <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-8740-9006>
>>
>> Rita

> Some comments from someone who has actually test driven the MkIII are
> available in this thread.
>
> http://www.potd.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2578
>
> I was thinking about getting one as my sports shooter, but now I will
> see if CPS has one for trial before I buy.... I guess the only real
> way of knowing is to shoot with the thing yourself.

I own one, and focus is way off when I mount my brand new 500 f4 L on it.
Very strange. I'm going to (hopefully) drive it to Canon's Irvine, CA
service center on Monday, along with the lens. Hopefully I'll get some kind
of resolution to the issue before I leave in two weeks for a huge trip that
will include Africa critters.

The 500mm works fine on my 5D, so it has to be the 1D3 body.
I'll post when/if gather more info from Canon.
The camera is amazing in every other respect, but AF on super-tele is *THE*
reason I bought it. So that's nearly the whole ball-game for me.

Mark▓

--
Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark▓ at:
www.pbase.com/markuson

Pete D

"Mark▓" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
news:bo2fi.524497$(E-Mail Removed)...
> PixelPix wrote:
>> On Jun 20, 9:40 am, Rita ─ Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
>>> I don't know much about Rob, but he seems to be telling it like it
>>> is.
>>>
>>> <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-8740-9006>
>>>
>>> Rita

>> Some comments from someone who has actually test driven the MkIII are
>> available in this thread.
>>
>> http://www.potd.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2578
>>
>> I was thinking about getting one as my sports shooter, but now I will
>> see if CPS has one for trial before I buy.... I guess the only real
>> way of knowing is to shoot with the thing yourself.

> I own one, and focus is way off when I mount my brand new 500 f4 L on it.
> Very strange. I'm going to (hopefully) drive it to Canon's Irvine, CA
> service center on Monday, along with the lens. Hopefully I'll get some
> kind of resolution to the issue before I leave in two weeks for a huge
> trip that will include Africa critters.
>
> The 500mm works fine on my 5D, so it has to be the 1D3 body.
> I'll post when/if gather more info from Canon.
> The camera is amazing in every other respect, but AF on super-tele is
> *THE* reason I bought it. So that's nearly the whole ball-game for me.
>
> Mark▓
>
> --
> Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark▓ at:
> www.pbase.com/markuson

Is there not adjustments for individual lenses or does it make no
difference?

Mark▓

Pete D wrote:
> "Mark▓" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
> news:bo2fi.524497$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> PixelPix wrote:

>>> Some comments from someone who has actually test driven the MkIII
>>> are available in this thread.
>>>
>>> http://www.potd.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2578
>>>
>>> I was thinking about getting one as my sports shooter, but now I
>>> will see if CPS has one for trial before I buy.... I guess the only
>>> real way of knowing is to shoot with the thing yourself.

>> I own one, and focus is way off when I mount my brand new 500 f4 L
>> on it. Very strange. I'm going to (hopefully) drive it to Canon's
>> Irvine, CA service center on Monday, along with the lens. Hopefully
>> I'll get some kind of resolution to the issue before I leave in two
>> weeks for a huge trip that will include Africa critters.
>>
>> The 500mm works fine on my 5D, so it has to be the 1D3 body.
>> I'll post when/if gather more info from Canon.
>> The camera is amazing in every other respect, but AF on super-tele is
>> *THE* reason I bought it. So that's nearly the whole ball-game for
>> me. Mark▓
>>
>> --
>> Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark▓ at:
>> www.pbase.com/markuson
>>

> Is there not adjustments for individual lenses or does it make no
> difference?

It makes a difference, yes...but there are still problems. You can
definitely adjust for front/back focus.
I'll be doing more testing tomorrow, as I FINALLY have a mostly-free
weekend...but it seems to be a problem that goes beyond simple front/back.

--
Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark▓ at:
www.pbase.com/markuson

Pete D

"Mark▓" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
news:2%2fi.390029$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Pete D wrote:
>> "Mark▓" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
>> news:bo2fi.524497$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I own one, and focus is way off when I mount my brand new 500 f4 L
>>> on it. Very strange. I'm going to (hopefully) drive it to Canon's
>>> Irvine, CA service center on Monday, along with the lens. Hopefully
>>> I'll get some kind of resolution to the issue before I leave in two
>>> weeks for a huge trip that will include Africa critters.
>>>
>>> The 500mm works fine on my 5D, so it has to be the 1D3 body.
>>> I'll post when/if gather more info from Canon.
>>> The camera is amazing in every other respect, but AF on super-tele is
>>> *THE* reason I bought it. So that's nearly the whole ball-game for
>>> me. Mark▓
>>>
>>> --
>>> Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark▓ at:
>>> www.pbase.com/markuson
>>>

>> Is there not adjustments for individual lenses or does it make no
>> difference?

> It makes a difference, yes...but there are still problems. You can
> definitely adjust for front/back focus.
> I'll be doing more testing tomorrow, as I FINALLY have a mostly-free
> weekend...but it seems to be a problem that goes beyond simple front/back.
>
> --
> Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark▓ at:
> www.pbase.com/markuson

Hope you sort it then and quick.

Good luck.

Pete

Mark▓

Pete D wrote:
> "Mark▓" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
> news:2%2fi.390029$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Pete D wrote:
>>> "Mark▓" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in
>>> message news:bo2fi.524497$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Is there not adjustments for individual lenses or does it make no
>>> difference?

>> It makes a difference, yes...but there are still problems. You can
>> definitely adjust for front/back focus.
>> I'll be doing more testing tomorrow, as I FINALLY have a mostly-free
>> weekend...but it seems to be a problem that goes beyond simple
>> front/back. --
>> Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark▓ at:
>> www.pbase.com/markuson

> Hope you sort it then and quick.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Pete

Thanks. Me too...

--
Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark▓ at:
www.pbase.com/markuson

PixelPix

On Jun 23, 4:23 pm, "Mark▓" <mjmorgan(lowest even number
here)@cox..net> wrote:
> Pete D wrote:
> > "Mark▓" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
> >news:bo2fi.524497$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> I own one, and focus is way off when I mount my brand new 500 f4 L
> >> on it. Very strange. I'm going to (hopefully) drive it to Canon's
> >> Irvine, CA service center on Monday, along with the lens. Hopefully
> >> I'll get some kind of resolution to the issue before I leave in two
> >> weeks for a huge trip that will include Africa critters.

> >> The 500mm works fine on my 5D, so it has to be the 1D3 body.
> >> I'll post when/if gather more info from Canon.
> >> The camera is amazing in every other respect, but AF on super-tele is
> >> *THE* reason I bought it. So that's nearly the whole ball-game for
> >> me. Mark▓

> >> --
> >> Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark▓ at:
> >> www.pbase.com/markuson

> > Is there not adjustments for individual lenses or does it make no
> > difference?

> It makes a difference, yes...but there are still problems. You can
> definitely adjust for front/back focus.
> I'll be doing more testing tomorrow, as I FINALLY have a mostly-free
> weekend...but it seems to be a problem that goes beyond simple front/back.
>
> --
> Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark▓ at:
> www.pbase.com/markuson

I look forward with great interest to your thoughts after you have had
time to check it out properly.

Phil

Rita ─ Berkowitz wrote:
>I don't know much about Rob, but he seems to be telling it like it is.
>
> <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-8740-9006>
>

> Rita

Totally OT, but I like how the player in the second picture looks like he
might need his sponsor's services...

--
Phil