Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Rob Tells It Like It Is With Canon's Mk III AF Problems!

Rob Tells It Like It Is With Canon's Mk III AF Problems!

Mick Brown

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote in news:4678cbc7$0$14109
$(E-Mail Removed):

> frederick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Ray Fischer wrote:
>>>
>>> But you know about trolling.
>>>

>>Why is his post trolling?

> It's exagerrated and the evidence doesn't support the headlines.
>
>>Sure R─B likes to stir the pot with Canon fanboys at times,

> Like this time.
>
>> but this
>>seems a real issue.

> Real but rather minor.

I shoot every week with some Herald Sun and Getty shooters, so far, apart
from the great high ISO, they are not saying good things about the Mark
III.

I'm glad I waited as I was about to change systems myself (for the high
ISO) Guess I can wait longer to see how well they sort this.

Mike Brown

Wolfgang Weisselberg

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]

Rita ─ Berkowitz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I don't know much about Rob, but he seems to be telling it like it is.

> <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-8740-9006>

| except for autofocus, the EOS-1D Mark III is a photographer's dream
| machine. That's the way we felt after shooting the preproduction
| camera back in April, and this is no less true with the production
| version in June.

Yep, sure I would hate to own one. Please make me hateful.
Send one my way.

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]

Hello, Bully,

[predictive AF]
> Canon have had this problem since 20Ds.

Have they? If so, I never have noticed, not even tracking birds
or sports.

-Wolfgang

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

Mick Brown wrote:

> I shoot every week with some Herald Sun and Getty shooters, so far,
> apart from the great high ISO, they are not saying good things about
> the Mark III.

I'm positive it will get better. Once all the bugs are worked out this is
going to be one sweet camera.

> I'm glad I waited as I was about to change systems myself (for the
> high ISO) Guess I can wait longer to see how well they sort this.

I have no doubt that Canon will make it right in several months.

Rita

Kinon O'Cann

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

What he is describing is the God awful Canon inability to track moving
objects.

>>>Well, that explains all those white lenses I see at sporting events.

Annika1980

On Jun 20, 8:31 pm, "Kinon O'Cann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What he is describing is the God awful Canon inability to track moving
> objects.

Spike says hi.
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/70625082

Mr.T

"Wolfgang Weisselberg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> | except for autofocus, the EOS-1D Mark III is a photographer's dream
> | machine. That's the way we felt after shooting the preproduction
> | camera back in April, and this is no less true with the production
> | version in June.
>
> Yep, sure I would hate to own one. Please make me hateful.
> Send one my way.

I doubt the people who got one for nothing are complaining as loudly as
those who actually had to pay the large asking price!
But it's safe to assume pro's do not like large amounts of missed shots
regardless of what they paid for the equipment. Lost revenue can soon
outweigh equipment costs, even with a camera the price of the EOS-1DIII.

Mr.T <MrT@home> wrote:
> "Wolfgang Weisselberg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> Yep, sure I would hate to own one. Please make me hateful.
>> Send one my way.

> I doubt the people who got one for nothing are complaining as loudly as
> those who actually had to pay the large asking price!

I do promise, I will consider myself paid to complain about
anything I can detect that doesn't work perfectly and is not an
error behind the camera.

> But it's safe to assume pro's do not like large amounts of missed shots
> regardless of what they paid for the equipment. Lost revenue can soon
> outweigh equipment costs, even with a camera the price of the EOS-1DIII.

Of course.

However, some pros may not even have a large amount of missed
shots, and since they do not make money by complaining about
all their perfect shots ... you never hear of them.

-Wolfgang

Mark▓

Annika1980 wrote:
> On Jun 20, 12:54 am, "Mark▓" <mjmorgan(lowest even number
> here)@cox..net> wrote:
>>
>> Canon has a very real problem on it's hands, and I'm stuck with
>> it--only 3 weeks away from going to Africa.
>>
>> Bummer.
>> (I'm sure Bret is cheering, as this will calm his green monster a
>> bit...)

> ROFL!
>
> What kind of an idiot buys a new product that is unproven?
> (Besides me, of course.)
>
> Enjoy your $4500 lemon, PW.

Thanks for your kindness, as usual, Bret.

--
Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark▓ at:
www.pbase.com/markuson

PixelPix

On Jun 20, 9:40 am, Rita ─ Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
> I don't know much about Rob, but he seems to be telling it like it is.
>
> <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-8740-9006>
>
> Rita

Some comments from someone who has actually test driven the MkIII are
available in this thread.

http://www.potd.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2578

I was thinking about getting one as my sports shooter, but now I will
see if CPS has one for trial before I buy.... I guess the only real
way of knowing is to shoot with the thing yourself.

Cheers

Russell
Photography Help Blog: http://blog.pixelpix.com.au