Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > question: multiple images into one large image (like panorama stitching)

question: multiple images into one large image (like panorama stitching)

RJB

Hola folks... I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me find
what I am looking for. Just as you can take several images that were shot
"side-by-side" and a program can stitch them together into one long
panorama - I'm hoping that there is a similar program that can take a bunch
of images taken of a subject and merge them into one larger image.

It's hard to explain, and probably why I'm finding a hard time coming up
with good search terms for google... but you know how you used to take a
film camera, shoot a bunch of pictures of a large object from one spot and
then tape them all together in a big collage type photo of that one big
object? That's what I'm talking about.

If anyone can mention an app that will automagically do this, or even
suggest the proper search terms to find such a thing, I'd appreciate it.

Toe.

--
My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com

frederick

RJB wrote:
> Hola folks... I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me find
> what I am looking for. Just as you can take several images that were shot
> "side-by-side" and a program can stitch them together into one long
> panorama - I'm hoping that there is a similar program that can take a bunch
> of images taken of a subject and merge them into one larger image.
>
> It's hard to explain, and probably why I'm finding a hard time coming up
> with good search terms for google... but you know how you used to take a
> film camera, shoot a bunch of pictures of a large object from one spot and
> then tape them all together in a big collage type photo of that one big
> object? That's what I'm talking about.
>
> If anyone can mention an app that will automagically do this, or even
> suggest the proper search terms to find such a thing, I'd appreciate it.
>
> Toe.

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

Dave Cohen

RJB wrote:
> Hola folks... I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me find
> what I am looking for. Just as you can take several images that were shot
> "side-by-side" and a program can stitch them together into one long
> panorama - I'm hoping that there is a similar program that can take a bunch
> of images taken of a subject and merge them into one larger image.
>
> It's hard to explain, and probably why I'm finding a hard time coming up
> with good search terms for google... but you know how you used to take a
> film camera, shoot a bunch of pictures of a large object from one spot and
> then tape them all together in a big collage type photo of that one big
> object? That's what I'm talking about.
>
> If anyone can mention an app that will automagically do this, or even
> suggest the proper search terms to find such a thing, I'd appreciate it.
>
> Toe.

It's done by a photo editor and it doesn't have to be one that will
empty your bank account.
I use PhotoPlus, but any photo editor will suffice as long at it does
layers. If I understand what it is you want, create a new empty canvas,
fill with color of choice. Now open first picture as new file, select
what you want, copy to clipboard and past as new layer. I can't resize a
layer, so I use deform tool to select and resize/position/rotate pasted
image. Repeat for remaining images. Other editors may require slightly
different technique and there is usually more than one way to get a
final result.
Dave Cohen

JC Dill

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 16:48:06 -0400, "RJB" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hola folks... I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me find
>what I am looking for. Just as you can take several images that were shot
>"side-by-side" and a program can stitch them together into one long
>panorama - I'm hoping that there is a similar program that can take a bunch
>of images taken of a subject and merge them into one larger image.
>
>It's hard to explain, and probably why I'm finding a hard time coming up
>with good search terms for google... but you know how you used to take a
>film camera, shoot a bunch of pictures of a large object from one spot and
>then tape them all together in a big collage type photo of that one big
>object? That's what I'm talking about.

Autostitch:

<http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html>

jc

Scott W

On Jun 19, 10:48 am, "RJB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hola folks... I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me find
> what I am looking for. Just as you can take several images that were shot
> "side-by-side" and a program can stitch them together into one long
> panorama - I'm hoping that there is a similar program that can take a bunch
> of images taken of a subject and merge them into one larger image.
>
> It's hard to explain, and probably why I'm finding a hard time coming up
> with good search terms for google... but you know how you used to take a
> film camera, shoot a bunch of pictures of a large object from one spot and
> then tape them all together in a big collage type photo of that one big
> object? That's what I'm talking about.
>
> If anyone can mention an app that will automagically do this, or even
> suggest the proper search terms to find such a thing, I'd appreciate it.
>
> Toe.

You might want to take a look at PTGui, a very good program, but it
takes
just a bit of work to learn how to use it.

Scott

Rudy Lacchin

"RJB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4678406e$0$24692$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hola folks... I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me
> find what I am looking for. Just as you can take several images that were
> shot "side-by-side" and a program can stitch them together into one long
> panorama - I'm hoping that there is a similar program that can take a
> bunch of images taken of a subject and merge them into one larger image.

Yeah, I think you mean you want to take a whole load of small pics of
whatever and join them together so's they look like someone's face, yes?

Autostitch won't do that.

Dirk Djuga's "Retriever" does this - check http://www.djuga.net/. Also
allows you to tweak colour settings, crop, resize, create thumbnails and
detect duplicate pics.

HTH,
R.

Rudy Lacchin

"RJB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4678406e$0$24692$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hola folks... I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me
>> find what I am looking for. Just as you can take several images that
>> were shot "side-by-side" and a program can stitch them together into one
>> long panorama - I'm hoping that there is a similar program that can take
>> a bunch of images taken of a subject and merge them into one larger
>> image.

> Yeah, I think you mean you want to take a whole load of small pics of
> whatever and join them together so's they look like someone's face, yes?

If so, try Googling "photo mosaic".

R.

ray

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 16:48:06 -0400, RJB wrote:

> Hola folks... I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me find
> what I am looking for. Just as you can take several images that were shot
> "side-by-side" and a program can stitch them together into one long
> panorama - I'm hoping that there is a similar program that can take a bunch
> of images taken of a subject and merge them into one larger image.
>
> It's hard to explain, and probably why I'm finding a hard time coming up
> with good search terms for google... but you know how you used to take a
> film camera, shoot a bunch of pictures of a large object from one spot and
> then tape them all together in a big collage type photo of that one big
> object? That's what I'm talking about.
>
> If anyone can mention an app that will automagically do this, or even
> suggest the proper search terms to find such a thing, I'd appreciate it.
>
> Toe.

As I recall, panotools is not limited to pasting together in one
direction, I believe it can handle a rectangular array as you describe.

RJB

Thanks for all the replies... AutoStitch (and the programs that use their
technology) are exactly what I was looking for.

I think I was believing that it would have been so much of a different
product, that I didn't really think to check with the existing panorama
programs that are out there. I suppose it's correct though... it's still a
panorama... not just strictly vertical or horizontal.

Thanks again folks.

Toe.

--
My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com