Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't install OS

Can't install OS

al jones

I have a MicroStar K7T MB, AMD 1200 cpu, 500MB RAM. Had previously upgraded
the BIOS to the latest (02/2002).

Trying to install PCLinuxOS on this computer fails - and I've had it
installed and running before. Have also, since, tried to install SUSE 10,
Mandrake 10.1 and WinXP - all of which fail at various points in the
install. Normally in determining hardware.

I've stripped the machine down to the minimum:
4GB HD (play territory)
CD
ps2 k/b and mouse
nvidia video card

Have set the video & BIOS to cacheable or not, on chip USB support on and
off and nothing seems to allow this system to install an operating system.

I'm brain dead - anyone have any ideas.

tanmoycool tanmoycool is offline
Junior Member

first you try to check the bios
then if you find it(BIOS) ok then
try to collect a bootable OS(I will say it WIN XP) CD
then u start ur machine
go to bios setting at the begining(Possibly by pressing some function key or DEL button.. it will be instructed to you on the screen but be fast it appears for few seconds)
then u change boot sequence to cd rom instead of your hard drive
then a message will come displaying booting from CD Rom...
rest of the thing will be instructed by the OS support as it start booting...
at the time of booting it also checks for the currently installed hardware ands its driver and necsery stuffs....
most of these are automated u need nt to do anyhing ;
hope your PC will start soon....

for further help u can call me on 0091 9226248048
or mail me on http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

with best regards
Tanmoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by al jones
I have a MicroStar K7T MB, AMD 1200 cpu, 500MB RAM. Had previously upgraded
the BIOS to the latest (02/2002).

Trying to install PCLinuxOS on this computer fails - and I've had it
installed and running before. Have also, since, tried to install SUSE 10,
Mandrake 10.1 and WinXP - all of which fail at various points in the
install. Normally in determining hardware.

I've stripped the machine down to the minimum:
4GB HD (play territory)
CD
ps2 k/b and mouse
nvidia video card

Have set the video & BIOS to cacheable or not, on chip USB support on and
off and nothing seems to allow this system to install an operating system.

I'm brain dead - anyone have any ideas.

Gazwad

al jones <(E-Mail Removed)>, the grossly-fat-vagrant and lewd
ripe fruit who likes hard-core stick beatings with north american
porcupines, and whose partner is a fleshpot with a crappy pink canoe,
wrote in <1dv84jh8bsmra$.4yzgxr2u0did$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>I have a MicroStar K7T MB, AMD 1200 cpu, 500MB RAM. Had previously upgraded
> the BIOS to the latest (02/2002).
>
> Trying to install PCLinuxOS on this computer fails - and I've had it
> installed and running before. Have also, since, tried to install SUSE 10,
> Mandrake 10.1 and WinXP - all of which fail at various points in the
> install. Normally in determining hardware.
>
> I've stripped the machine down to the minimum:
> 4GB HD (play territory)
> CD
> ps2 k/b and mouse
> nvidia video card
>
> Have set the video & BIOS to cacheable or not, on chip USB support on and
> off and nothing seems to allow this system to install an operating system.
>
> I'm brain dead - anyone have any ideas.

Test the components or bin the outdated piece of ****.

is but a dream within a dream.

philo

"al jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1dv84jh8bsmra$.4yzgxr2u0did$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I have a MicroStar K7T MB, AMD 1200 cpu, 500MB RAM. Had previously

upgraded
> the BIOS to the latest (02/2002).
>
> Trying to install PCLinuxOS on this computer fails - and I've had it
> installed and running before. Have also, since, tried to install SUSE 10,
> Mandrake 10.1 and WinXP - all of which fail at various points in the
> install. Normally in determining hardware.
>
> I've stripped the machine down to the minimum:
> 4GB HD (play territory)
> CD
> ps2 k/b and mouse
> nvidia video card
>
> Have set the video & BIOS to cacheable or not, on chip USB support on and
> off and nothing seems to allow this system to install an operating system.

If the machine developed the problem after the bios flash...
then of course re-flash it with the original bios.

OTOH: If it had been working OK since the bios flash...
I'd run a RAM test

Whiskers

On 2007-06-19, al jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a MicroStar K7T MB, AMD 1200 cpu, 500MB RAM. Had previously upgraded
> the BIOS to the latest (02/2002).
>
> Trying to install PCLinuxOS on this computer fails - and I've had it
> installed and running before. Have also, since, tried to install SUSE 10,
> Mandrake 10.1 and WinXP - all of which fail at various points in the
> install. Normally in determining hardware.
>
> I've stripped the machine down to the minimum:
> 4GB HD (play territory)
> CD
> ps2 k/b and mouse
> nvidia video card
>
> Have set the video & BIOS to cacheable or not, on chip USB support on and
> off and nothing seems to allow this system to install an operating system.
>
> I'm brain dead - anyone have any ideas.

Sounds as though it's the computer that's dead.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

al jones

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 06:39:29 -0500, philo wrote:

> "al jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1dv84jh8bsmra$.4yzgxr2u0did$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I have a MicroStar K7T MB, AMD 1200 cpu, 500MB RAM. Had previously

> upgraded
>> the BIOS to the latest (02/2002).
>>
>> Trying to install PCLinuxOS on this computer fails - and I've had it
>> installed and running before. Have also, since, tried to install SUSE 10,
>> Mandrake 10.1 and WinXP - all of which fail at various points in the
>> install. Normally in determining hardware.
>>
>> I've stripped the machine down to the minimum:
>> 4GB HD (play territory)
>> CD
>> ps2 k/b and mouse
>> nvidia video card
>>
>> Have set the video & BIOS to cacheable or not, on chip USB support on and
>> off and nothing seems to allow this system to install an operating system.

> If the machine developed the problem after the bios flash...
> then of course re-flash it with the original bios.
>
> OTOH: If it had been working OK since the bios flash...
> I'd run a RAM test

Thanks for a reasonable answer :/

The BIOS flash was done several months ago and the machine has been running
without problem since, so I don't think that's part of this problem.

1.25 GB SDRAM test for over 20 hours with memtest with no errors.

The system itself tests okay with BurnIt <??? getting ready for work and
not sure of the name> which ran all day while I was at work yesterday -
again with no errors. Even the HD tests okay.

This is what really bugs me, the machine had been running without problems.
Until it refused to boot. All the test I can think of to run show the
machine to be okay - but I just can't install any OS. Talk about
frustrated!! Thanks //al

philo

> >> Have set the video & BIOS to cacheable or not, on chip USB support on

and
> >> off and nothing seems to allow this system to install an operating

system.

> > If the machine developed the problem after the bios flash...
> > then of course re-flash it with the original bios.
> >
> > OTOH: If it had been working OK since the bios flash...
> > I'd run a RAM test

> Thanks for a reasonable answer :/
>
> The BIOS flash was done several months ago and the machine has been

running
> without problem since, so I don't think that's part of this problem.
>
> 1.25 GB SDRAM test for over 20 hours with memtest with no errors.
>
> The system itself tests okay with BurnIt <??? getting ready for work and
> not sure of the name> which ran all day while I was at work yesterday -
> again with no errors. Even the HD tests okay.
>
> This is what really bugs me, the machine had been running without

problems.
> Until it refused to boot. All the test I can think of to run show the
> machine to be okay - but I just can't install any OS. Talk about
> frustrated!! Thanks //al

If there are leaky or expanded capacitors on the mobo...
then the mobo is shot...

Well try resetting the bios to default...

also substitute different RAM ,video card...and power supply

Plato

al jones wrote:

> I have a MicroStar K7T MB, AMD 1200 cpu, 500MB RAM. Had previously upgraded
> the BIOS to the latest (02/2002).

Why did you have to update to the latest bios? What exactly was the
problem you were trying to correct?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

al jones

On 20 Jun 2007 23:16:01 -0500, Plato wrote:

> al jones wrote:
>>
>> I have a MicroStar K7T MB, AMD 1200 cpu, 500MB RAM. Had previously upgraded
>> the BIOS to the latest (02/2002).

> Why did you have to update to the latest bios? What exactly was the
> problem you were trying to correct?

I originally built this box with a 700mHz CPU. MSI has since upped the
BIOS to handle up to 1800mHz (I think, may be more). When I switched to a
1200 mHz CPU they (MSI) recommended I update the BIOS. But as I said this
was sevral months ago and the box had been working with no problems.

See my response also to Philo for determination.

and thanks //al

al jones

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 14:40:03 -0500, philo wrote:

> and

> system.
>>>
>>> If the machine developed the problem after the bios flash...
>>> then of course re-flash it with the original bios.
>>>
>>> OTOH: If it had been working OK since the bios flash...
>>> I'd run a RAM test

>> Thanks for a reasonable answer :/
>>
>> The BIOS flash was done several months ago and the machine has been

> running
>> without problem since, so I don't think that's part of this problem.
>>
>> 1.25 GB SDRAM test for over 20 hours with memtest with no errors.
>>
>> The system itself tests okay with BurnIt <??? getting ready for work and
>> not sure of the name> which ran all day while I was at work yesterday -
>> again with no errors. Even the HD tests okay.
>>
>> This is what really bugs me, the machine had been running without

> problems.
>> Until it refused to boot. All the test I can think of to run show the
>> machine to be okay - but I just can't install any OS. Talk about
>> frustrated!! Thanks //al

> If there are leaky or expanded capacitors on the mobo...
> then the mobo is shot...
>
> Well try resetting the bios to default...
>
> also substitute different RAM ,video card...and power supply

This has been an interesting exercise that I don't want to have to repeat.
I have two CPU's available for this box - both of which work in another box
with no problems.

The 1200 mHz has been giving me fits in *this* box so I swapped it out for
the 700 ... which now works. All the problems I've been having,
unexplainable hangs, unable to install o/s's have all magically
disappeared. Apparently I either have a 1200 that's flakey (for who knows
what reason) in this box or it (the box) doesn't handle the higher speed
CPU's.

At the moment I'm computer poor. I have several 700 mHz boxes most of
which are RAM limited (to about a half a gig) one 1300 which is ditto
(disgusting!) and this one which is now a 700 mHz box but will support up
to 1.5 GB ram. I think it's time to have a garage sale and then go out and
buy one decent box.

My thanks for the comments - yours and PLato's - I'd about given up the
ghost (it was while I was switching IDE cables that I decided to swap CPU's
- so you're to blame for it working such as it does.)

//al