Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > New tab

New tab

Brian Robertson

How do I open a new tab, rather than a complete new window, through a link?

Brian.

dorayme

In article <dmLdi.558$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Brian Robertson <brianrobertson@[nospam].com> wrote:

> How do I open a new tab, rather than a complete new window, through a link?

On Firefox and iCab I do it by pressing the command key as i
click links in the browser window. As for links that occur
elsewhere, e.g., in newsreader, I have set the preferences in FF
and iCab so that they open always in new tabs. That is on a Mac.

If you are asking how to do it on a Windows machine, I think
maybe similar but perhaps a the Alt key. Look at Properties.

If you are asking how to make it happen on someone else's
computer when they are clicking on links in your website, I
believe this is not a good idea even if there was a reliable way
to ensure this. Mainly because it might not please the user who
should therefore be allowed to decide these things for him or
herself.

You can put target="_blank" in your links (not kosher in Strict)
and this is a handle that might trigger a new tab if the user
(like me) sets the browser to so act. But if it is ot explicitly
so set by the user, it will default open a new window. Not a good
bet as default is much more likely.

--
dorayme

John Hosking

Brian Robertson wrote:
> How do I open a new tab, rather than a complete new window, through a link?

You can't. HTML provides no means to do so. Your link may coincidentally
open a new tab, but that depends entirely on the settings of the user's
browser (and of course some browsers and other UA's don't even have tabs).

--
John

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit dorayme:

> If you are asking how to do it on a Windows machine, I think
> maybe similar but perhaps a the Alt key. Look at Properties.

On IE 7, using a three-button mouse, you can just click on a click with the
middle button.

> You can put target="_blank" in your links (not kosher in Strict)
> and this is a handle that might trigger a new tab if the user
> (like me) sets the browser to so act.

Indeed. Thus, using the middle button is a simple and effective weapon
against target="_blank". However, not all users know this. Besides, there's
no comparable simple method for opening a link in the current window and the
current tab (i.e., using it as a normal link) if the link has
target="_blank". So target="_blank" is still a nuisance, especially to
novice users who easily get confused. (They try to use the Back button,
without realizing that a new window was thrown at them.)

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

scripts.contact

"Jukka K. Korpela" wrote:
> there's no comparable simple method for opening a link in the current
> window and the current tab (i.e., using it as a normal link) if the link has
> target="_blank".

In opera, i can simply right click > open any link to force it to open
in the same tab.