Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > DI-524 connection problem

DI-524 connection problem

madkilla@gmail.com

I have a weird problem with my DI-524 router. I can connect fine with
one desktop and wirelessly with a laptop, but with another computer I
have some trouble. When I connect it gets an IP address and it is
able to ping the router and the other computers on the network, but it
is unable to ping any outside networks and is even unable to connect
to the router setup page. I am at a loss as to what to do. I've
repaired the connection several times, and checked the log on the
router and it did get the IP assigned from the router.

I'd appreciate any help.

madkilla@gmail.com

Oh, I forgot to say I have Windows XP SP2.

Barb Bowman

can you post te full ipconfig /all from the machine with the issue?

what anti virus program or firewall are you running?
is this new behavior for this machine? did you try a restore point
from before the time this problem started?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

also, did you reset the router itself?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Run AntiVirus Antispyware etc. to make sure that your computer is clean, and
then follow this process, http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I have a weird problem with my DI-524 router. I can connect fine with
> one desktop and wirelessly with a laptop, but with another computer I
> have some trouble. When I connect it gets an IP address and it is
> able to ping the router and the other computers on the network, but it
> is unable to ping any outside networks and is even unable to connect
> to the router setup page. I am at a loss as to what to do. I've
> repaired the connection several times, and checked the log on the
> router and it did get the IP assigned from the router.
>
> I'd appreciate any help.

madkilla@gmail.com

I have no firewall running, I've been relying on my routers. It just
started happening when I left from college where I had a 2wire DSL
modem / router to when I came home and have a DI-524 and cable modem.

ipconfig /all:

dhcp yes
autoconfig yes
IP 192.168.0.102
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
default gateway blank
DHCP server 192.168.0.1
DNS server 192.168.0.1

I tried a restore point, and have reset the router completely, not
just turned off and on. I'll scan for spy/malware now and try that
website. Thanks for all the replies.

madkilla@gmail.com

So far I have run adaware and it only came up with cookies.

The internet works when I boot into safe mode so I'm thinking it's a
trojan or spyware.
Also, the first time I reset from safemode to normal the internet
worked for about 30 seconds, which also leads me to believe it's
spyware.

I did a virus scan in safemode and it came up with 2 low thread
trojans, and I have since deleted them, and it has not solved the
problem.
The virus scanner was: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Are there any other programs I should use to search for spyware?

Barb Bowman

start at http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm for other tools.

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 05:27:54 -0000, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>So far I have run adaware and it only came up with cookies.
>
>The internet works when I boot into safe mode so I'm thinking it's a
>trojan or spyware.
>Also, the first time I reset from safemode to normal the internet
>worked for about 30 seconds, which also leads me to believe it's
>spyware.
>
>I did a virus scan in safemode and it came up with 2 low thread
>trojans, and I have since deleted them, and it has not solved the
>problem.
>The virus scanner was: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>
>Are there any other programs I should use to search for spyware?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

madkilla@gmail.com

I figured out what was wrong. I had VMWare Workstation installed and
one of the network bridges was using the same IP as my router. My
2Wire router had a different private IP adress scheme so there had
previously been no conflicts.

Thanks again for all the help.