Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Mitel 3300 MX Controller - anyone here use them?

Mitel 3300 MX Controller - anyone here use them?

Jon

We've got one of these in my place of work running 2 5207 (might be
5027) IP phones. We had a power cut yesterday and the system has not
recovered.

There are 3 alarm lights on the controller: minor, major and critical
and they are all blinking red. The displays on the handsets is stuck on
"DHCP: Discovery"

These are not supported by IT anymore as they are no longer used for
incoming or outgoing calls, only intercom between the handsets. In terms
of fixing it I'm on my own!

The reset button on the front has not done anything. Even some
documentation would be start.

Cheers for any advice (not including go buy some walkie-talkies!)
--
Regards
Jon

Linker3000

Jon wrote:
> We've got one of these in my place of work running 2 5207 (might be
> 5027) IP phones. We had a power cut yesterday and the system has not
> recovered.
>
> There are 3 alarm lights on the controller: minor, major and critical
> and they are all blinking red. The displays on the handsets is stuck on
> "DHCP: Discovery"
>
> These are not supported by IT anymore as they are no longer used for
> incoming or outgoing calls, only intercom between the handsets. In terms
> of fixing it I'm on my own!
>
> The reset button on the front has not done anything. Even some
> documentation would be start.
>
> Cheers for any advice (not including go buy some walkie-talkies!)

Good starting point:

http://edocs.mitel.com/default.htm

Hope this helps.

alexd

Jon wrote:

> We've got one of these in my place of work running 2 5207 (might be
> 5027) IP phones. We had a power cut yesterday and the system has not
> recovered.
>
> There are 3 alarm lights on the controller: minor, major and critical
> and they are all blinking red.

Doesn't sound good, although they'll flash an alarm even if it's just an IP
trunk that's off.

> The displays on the handsets is stuck on "DHCP: Discovery"
>
> These are not supported by IT anymore as they are no longer used for
> incoming or outgoing calls, only intercom between the handsets. In terms
> of fixing it I'm on my own!
>
> The reset button on the front has not done anything.

Any idea what the IP address is/was? Default web interfaces creds are
system/password. There's also telnet [to VxWorks] on port 23 and SSL telnet
[to the Mitel software] on 2002. Have you tried plugging a serial cable in?

> Even some documentation would be start.

Even if you do manage to log in to edocs.mitel.com, I wish you the best of
luck with it. I get the impression that Mitel [compared to Siemens kit and
Asterisk] make their kit deliberately obtuse and difficult to use [for
example, how do you power off a 3300 remotely?]; perhaps it's to keep
the "channel" happy.

> Cheers for any advice (not including go buy some walkie-talkies!)

I won't mention investigating the possibility of changing the handsets to
SIP mode to use with Asterisk then Sell it on eBay, and buy something
useful with the proceeds, like some SIP handsets that can make peer to peer
calls, for example. Marginally better than walkie-talkies

22:10:22 up 51 days, 12 min, 2 users, load average: 0.23, 0.17, 0.17
09 f9 11 02 9d 74 e3 5b d8 41 56 c5 63 56 88 c0

Jon

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) declared for all the world to hear...
> Good starting point:
> http://edocs.mitel.com/default.htm
> Hope this helps.

If I had a login for the site it might, but I don't!
--
Regards
Jon

Jon

(E-Mail Removed) declared for all the world to hear...
> Any idea what the IP address is/was? Default web interfaces creds are
> system/password. There's also telnet [to VxWorks] on port 23 and SSL telnet
> [to the Mitel software] on 2002. Have you tried plugging a serial cable in?

I can find the IP address I expect, and I have not tried serial yet.
Presumably the serial port requires hyperterminal or some mitel
proprietary app to listen to it and make sense of the output?

Thanks anyway.
--
Regards
Jon

alexd

Jon wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) declared for all the world to hear...
>> Any idea what the IP address is/was? Default web interfaces creds are
>> system/password. There's also telnet [to VxWorks] on port 23 and SSL
>> telnet
>> [to the Mitel software] on 2002. Have you tried plugging a serial cable
>> [in?

> I can find the IP address I expect, and I have not tried serial yet.
> Presumably the serial port requires hyperterminal or some mitel
> proprietary app to listen to it and make sense of the output?

You can connect fine with Hyperterminal - 9600, 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop
bit, flow control off.

09:37:44 up 51 days, 11:39, 2 users, load average: 0.95, 0.44, 0.21

alexd wrote:

> Jon wrote:
>
>> We've got one of these in my place of work running 2 5207 (might be
>> 5027) IP phones. We had a power cut yesterday and the system has not
>> recovered.
>>
>> There are 3 alarm lights on the controller: minor, major and critical
>> and they are all blinking red.

> Doesn't sound good, although they'll flash an alarm even if it's just an
> IP trunk that's off.

It's just occurred to me that the major alarm lights will flash if the PSTN
trunks are disconnected, and that would correlate with what you said about
only using it as an intercom, ie no need for trunks so you've unplugged it.
So it could be that the alarm lights mean nothing at all

09:43:38 up 51 days, 11:45, 2 users, load average: 0.18, 0.36, 0.24

Jon wrote:

> We've got one of these in my place of work running 2 5207 (might be
> 5027) IP phones. We had a power cut yesterday and the system has not
> recovered.
>
> There are 3 alarm lights on the controller: minor, major and critical
> and they are all blinking red. The displays on the handsets is stuck on
> "DHCP: Discovery"

Do you know if you were using the 3300 as a DHCP server, or if you had an
external DHCP server programmed up? Bear in mind that the phones in MiNET
mode won't just accept any old DHCP lease; they need stuff like TFTP
server, controller address, etc, in the options.

09:48:35 up 51 days, 11:50, 2 users, load average: 0.72, 0.43, 0.29
09 f9 11 02 9d 74 e3 5b d8 41 56 c5 63 56 88 c0

Jon

(E-Mail Removed) declared for all the world to hear...
> Jon wrote:
>
> > We've got one of these in my place of work running 2 5207 (might be
> > 5027) IP phones. We had a power cut yesterday and the system has not
> > recovered.
> >
> > There are 3 alarm lights on the controller: minor, major and critical
> > and they are all blinking red. The displays on the handsets is stuck on
> > "DHCP: Discovery"

> Do you know if you were using the 3300 as a DHCP server, or if you had an
> external DHCP server programmed up?

There's a 24-port managed switch on the LAN which puts out dhcp. The PCs
are on fixed IP, DHCP is only used for visiting senior managers who plug
their laptops in for network connectivity.

> Bear in mind that the phones in MiNET
> mode won't just accept any old DHCP lease; they need stuff like TFTP
> server, controller address, etc, in the options.

Hmmm. I think walkie-talkies is looking good at the moment!
--
Regards
Jon

bcarnot bcarnot is offline
Junior Member
Location: San Diego

If you can get to the system from serial or telnet:
I would do the following

AL - Tells you the exact alarms
SH FA AL - Shows all faults

Most likely the system does not see the turnks coming in.

Load 1 1 1 - Reloads the primary controller

Hope this helps