Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > list of countries File v. Array v. HTML list

list of countries File v. Array v. HTML list

slinky

I want to get an opinion on some .aspx logic. Say for isntance you
have a user data submission form that amongst other things is
gathering STATE and COUNTRY information of which appear in a
dropdownlist.

If one is already using both an .aspx page and is using a SQLserver
database, why not just place these two lists into a table instead of
an array (common in simple HTML pages using CGI) for the STATES and an
awefully-long-often-changing COUNTRY list that is still prevalent in
HTML pages.

Speaking of which, isn't it true that a list of countries in HTML has
to be laboriously edited when sitching to XHTML?

What are the advantages and disadvantages anybody wants to chime in
on. I set up one today using SQL tables and it works fine, especailly
since tomorrow my PM wants another field set up for national capitals!
Forunately all I have to do is add a field and parse/query a flat file
I found on the web in the format of ... Finland,Helsinki

Anyone?

John Timney \(MVP\)

I guess the only consideration is that its pretty much a fixed list of
data, countires (and cities) don't appear that often - so whatever appraoch
you decide to sue for storing the data dont keep loading the data from the
DB or File. Either cache it or stick it into the app object and load it
once into an array you can use over and over.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)
http://www.johntimney.com
http://www.johntimney.com/blog