Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > How do I install the DLC protocol on Windows 2003 Server?

How do I install the DLC protocol on Windows 2003 Server?

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

How do I install the DLC protocol on Windows 2003 Server? Has MS removed it
as a supported protocol? I like setting my network printers up that way,
instead of using TCP-IP... Any ideas where I should start?

Mark

Juergen Kluth

Charlie Russel - MVP

And that is only for 32-bit Server and XP. It is not supported or available
on 64-bit versions of Windows Server.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Juergen Kluth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> at MSFT

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

OK, I downloaded and installed it, but now what? I don't see it showing up
under the port selection types when I try to config a new printer...

Mark

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> And that is only for 32-bit Server and XP. It is not supported or available
> on 64-bit versions of Windows Server.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Juergen Kluth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
> >
> > at MSFT

Charlie Russel - MVP

I have no idea - haven't used DLC in over 10 years. I'd suggest you ask your
query over on one of the printing newsgroups where it belongs.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, I downloaded and installed it, but now what? I don't see it showing
> up
> under the port selection types when I try to config a new printer...
>
> Mark
>

> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> And that is only for 32-bit Server and XP. It is not supported or
>> available
>> on 64-bit versions of Windows Server.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "Juergen Kluth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
>> >
>> > at MSFT

Alan Morris [MSFT]

I wander through this stuff here as well. Since DLC was released for SNA
server I doubt it would include the HP DLC port stuff. HP would not want
to support this anyway.

If hpmon.dll is included in the package the port type should be listed.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have no idea - haven't used DLC in over 10 years. I'd suggest you ask
>your query over on one of the printing newsgroups where it belongs.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> OK, I downloaded and installed it, but now what? I don't see it showing
>> up
>> under the port selection types when I try to config a new printer...
>>
>> Mark
>>

>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>>
>>> And that is only for 32-bit Server and XP. It is not supported or
>>> available
>>> on 64-bit versions of Windows Server.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>>

>>> "Juergen Kluth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Ah, good to see you, Alan. That's an interesting thought, re: the HP DLC not
being in the package. The only thing I ever used DLC for was HP printers,
and it was a long, long time ago. So I tend to forget the SNA use for it,
though of course that was the real reason for DLC.

In these days of TCP/IP printing being so widely supported, it's really all
I ever use. I have an ancient JetDirect EX that I use for the one printer
that doesn't have a network card in it. (The JetDirect is at least 15 years
old. I remember updating the firmware on it about 10 years ago. Since then,
nothing. Still works like a champ. One of these days I'll break down and buy
a wireless print server. But it's way down on the priority list.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u5%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I wander through this stuff here as well. Since DLC was released for SNA
>server I doubt it would include the HP DLC port stuff. HP would not want
>to support this anyway.
>
> If hpmon.dll is included in the package the port type should be listed.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> rights.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have no idea - haven't used DLC in over 10 years. I'd suggest you ask
>>your query over on one of the printing newsgroups where it belongs.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> OK, I downloaded and installed it, but now what? I don't see it showing
>>> up
>>> under the port selection types when I try to config a new printer...
>>>
>>> Mark

=?Utf-8?B?QnJhZCBSdXRrb3dza2k=?=

This can be used for XP or Windows 2003, but I think that its only for x86
and not x64.

--
This post is provided as-is and is my opinion, check the facts before doing
anything in production.

http://blogs.technet.com/brad_rutkowski

"Mark" wrote:

> How do I install the DLC protocol on Windows 2003 Server? Has MS removed it
> as a supported protocol? I like setting my network printers up that way,
> instead of using TCP-IP... Any ideas where I should start?
>
> Mark

Alan Morris [MSFT]

HP really hates those old products. You know the ones that don't fall apart
after a couple years.

I did download the package. It does not contain hpmon.dll so printing
support is not included.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ah, good to see you, Alan. That's an interesting thought, re: the HP DLC
> not being in the package. The only thing I ever used DLC for was HP
> printers, and it was a long, long time ago. So I tend to forget the SNA
> use for it, though of course that was the real reason for DLC.
>
> In these days of TCP/IP printing being so widely supported, it's really
> all I ever use. I have an ancient JetDirect EX that I use for the one
> printer that doesn't have a network card in it. (The JetDirect is at least
> 15 years old. I remember updating the firmware on it about 10 years ago.
> Since then, nothing. Still works like a champ. One of these days I'll
> break down and buy a wireless print server. But it's way down on the
> priority list.)
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>
> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:u5%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I wander through this stuff here as well. Since DLC was released for SNA
>>server I doubt it would include the HP DLC port stuff. HP would not want
>>to support this anyway.
>>
>> If hpmon.dll is included in the package the port type should be listed.
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team

>> rights.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have no idea - haven't used DLC in over 10 years. I'd suggest you ask
>>>your query over on one of the printing newsgroups where it belongs.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>>

>>> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yeah, I'll be they do! And no consumables, either.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> HP really hates those old products. You know the ones that don't fall
> apart after a couple years.
>
> I did download the package. It does not contain hpmon.dll so printing
> support is not included.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> rights.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ah, good to see you, Alan. That's an interesting thought, re: the HP DLC
>> not being in the package. The only thing I ever used DLC for was HP
>> printers, and it was a long, long time ago. So I tend to forget the SNA
>> use for it, though of course that was the real reason for DLC.
>>
>> In these days of TCP/IP printing being so widely supported, it's really
>> all I ever use. I have an ancient JetDirect EX that I use for the one
>> printer that doesn't have a network card in it. (The JetDirect is at
>> least 15 years old. I remember updating the firmware on it about 10 years
>> ago. Since then, nothing. Still works like a champ. One of these days
>> I'll break down and buy a wireless print server. But it's way down on the
>> priority list.)
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>
>> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:u5%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I wander through this stuff here as well. Since DLC was released for SNA
>>>server I doubt it would include the HP DLC port stuff. HP would not
>>>want to support this anyway.
>>>
>>> If hpmon.dll is included in the package the port type should be listed.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alan Morris
>>> Windows Printing Team
>>> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

>>> rights.
>>>
>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

How to install Microsoft Office Document Imageing on Windows 2003(x64), when i install it the OCR in MODI doesnt work: DR Windows 64bit 1 02-08-2008 05:43 AM
DLC - Win2K3 asumadu MCSA 0 05-05-2005 03:27 PM
Protocol Chart - Learn how to use a Protocol Analyzer news.comcast.giganews.com Wireless Networking 0 08-21-2004 04:35 PM
When i try to implement a server program giving UDP as protocol , it works fine , but if the same code is executed with TCP as protocol option, it gives an error. Tompyna Perl Misc 4 02-17-2004 06:51 PM

Advertisments