Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Where to get the best (Microsoft?) C++ certification?

Where to get the best (Microsoft?) C++ certification?

JPK

Hi

I have good C++ knowledge, but would like to get perfect by study and then
get a certification. What is best (online/mail) certication? Where can I do
tests for it (online/mail)? What is the most respectable certification? Does
it have to be Microsoft certification? How about Visual C++, object oriented
programming certifications?

thanks

Victor Bazarov

JPK wrote:
> I have good C++ knowledge, but would like to get perfect by study and
> then get a certification. What is best (online/mail) certication?

I'll print you a certificate. What should it say? Yes, it's going to
be as worthless as any other you can find online. If I were to hire
you, even I am not going to accept it. Neither will anybody else worth
working for. Nor will I accept any other "certificate".

> Where can I do tests for it (online/mail)? What is the most
> respectable certification?

A long resume with several good projects mentioned, written in C++, in
which you played a significant role. That'll get your foot in the door,
so to speak.

> Does it have to be Microsoft
> certification? How about Visual C++, object oriented programming
> certifications?

Anything concerning Microsoft you should ask in a Microsoft newsgroup.
Please refer to 'microsoft.public.*' hierarchy.

Please believe this: your knowledge of C++ cannot be "perfect". There
is no person in the world whose knowledge of C++ is such. None. Any
C++ certification you can obtain is usually not worth the paper it's
printed on. Stop looking for one, your time is more valuable, start
working on a project instead.

JPK

Victor Bazarov wrote:
> JPK wrote:
> Please believe this: your knowledge of C++ cannot be "perfect". There
> is no person in the world whose knowledge of C++ is such. None. Any
> C++ certification you can obtain is usually not worth the paper it's
> printed on. Stop looking for one, your time is more valuable, start
> working on a project instead.

wow, interesting idea! So , you are saying, that proof of working
(finishing) in projects is more valuable than papers? But, dont you agree,
that if one gets a very good Microsoft C++ test papers, it has some value?
At least it means, that you know all the theory around C++ (like you know
all the STL classes, you know what is inheritance etc.).

btw. I do have 3 years working experiece, but there is a 5 years gap. What
do you think is best to do to get a good CV? You might say: "Start to work
as a C++ programmer"...but... the problem is, that I cannot get a job
becouse of my gap. Of course start working as a programmer is best, but the
problem is that I cannot get one! So, studying (getting a paper) might be
the solution to prove that I have the skills. What do you think?

JPK

Victor Bazarov wrote:
> JPK wrote:
> printed on. Stop looking for one, your time is more valuable, start
> working on a project instead.

You mean working for free? Getting involved in some project where they do
not pay?The problem is a circular problem: cannot get a programming job ->
dont have a good resume -> cannot get a programming job .... you know what
I mean? ...

Victor Bazarov

JPK wrote:
> Victor Bazarov wrote:
>> JPK wrote:
>> Please believe this: your knowledge of C++ cannot be "perfect". There is
>> no person in the world whose knowledge of C++ is such. None. Any C++
>> certification you can obtain is usually not worth the
>> paper it's printed on. Stop looking for one, your time is more
>> valuable, start working on a project instead.

> wow, interesting idea! So , you are saying, that proof of working
> (finishing) in projects is more valuable than papers?

Yes, that's what I am saying. It's off-topic here, however. Do you
have a C++ language question?

> But, dont you
> agree, that if one gets a very good Microsoft C++ test papers, it has
> some value?

No.

> At least it means, that you know all the theory around
> C++ (like you know all the STL classes, you know what is inheritance
> etc.).

Doesn't mean anything except there is an online dispenser of papers
with some words printed on them, among which you can find "C++".

> btw. I do have 3 years working experiece, but there is a 5 years gap.

<shrug> So?

> What do you think is best to do to get a good CV?

Good honest work.

> You might say:
> "Start to work as a C++ programmer"...but... the problem is, that I
> cannot get a job becouse of my gap.

<shrug> Were you in a coma? You don't have to answer. Get what you
can, support your aspirations, work on educating yourself in the mean
time.

> Of course start working as a
> programmer is best, but the problem is that I cannot get one!

Get something close, like in a QA department. Or Technical Support.

> So,
> studying (getting a paper) might be the solution to prove that I
> have the skills. What do you think?

You can look for papers or you can look for work. Either way you're
going to have to invest time and effort. I am saying that looking for
papers is far less productive use of your time.

Again, this is all off-topic. Find yourself a recruiter and talk to
him, they know more tricks that can land you a decent job soon.

Victor Bazarov

JPK wrote:
> Victor Bazarov wrote:
>> JPK wrote:
>> printed on. Stop looking for one, your time is more valuable, start
>> working on a project instead.

> You mean working for free?

No, I don't mean for free.

> Getting involved in some project where
> they do not pay?

Get involved in the projects that do pay.

>The problem is a circular problem: cannot get a
> programming job -> dont have a good resume -> cannot get a
> programming job .... you know what I mean? ...

No, I don't know what you mean.

There is an old saying "He who wants to accomplish his goals
find the means; he who doesn't, finds an excuse". Start looking
for ways to get a job at least close to what you want to end up
doing. First goal: get a job in the same building as C++ group
and with the same shift as C++ group, so you can at least talk to
them.

faceman28208@yahoo.com

On Jun 18, 9:13 am, "JPK"
<(E-Mail Removed) d> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have good C++ knowledge, but would like to get perfect by study and then
> get a certification. What is best (online/mail) certication? Where can I do
> tests for it (online/mail)? What is the most respectable certification? Does
> it have to be Microsoft certification? How about Visual C++, object oriented
> programming certifications?

The best respectable certifications are: BA, BS, MS, MA, PhD, JD, MD,
and JSD.

I would not waste any money on any other C++ certification.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=

On 2007-06-18 16:13, JPK wrote:
> Victor Bazarov wrote:
>> JPK wrote:
>> printed on. Stop looking for one, your time is more valuable, start
>> working on a project instead.

> You mean working for free? Getting involved in some project where they do
> not pay?The problem is a circular problem: cannot get a programming job ->
> dont have a good resume -> cannot get a programming job .... you know what
> I mean? ...

Now that's an idea, there are lots of places where they would love some
extra help. Go to sourceforge or freshmeat and find a project that seems
interesting, find a bug or something to add in that project and submit
patches. If you are good you will get your code committed and when your
potential employer asks you about your previous experiences you can
claim you have been working on open source projects, while it might not
be as good as paid work you don't have to pay for it and your potential
employer might value actual code more than papers (I probably would).

--
Erik Wikström

Victor Bazarov

> On Jun 18, 9:13 am, "JPK"
> <(E-Mail Removed) d> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have good C++ knowledge, but would like to get perfect by study
>> and then get a certification. What is best (online/mail)
>> certication? Where can I do tests for it (online/mail)? What is the
>> most respectable certification? Does it have to be Microsoft
>> certification? How about Visual C++, object oriented programming
>> certifications?

> The best respectable certifications are: BA, BS, MS, MA, PhD, JD, MD,
> and JSD.

Depends on who's giving them...

> I would not waste any money on any other C++ certification.

I would not waste any money on BA, or JD, or MD, or JSD, in C++, no
matter from whom. Maybe, just *maybe*, DPS.

JPK

Erik Wikström wrote:
> On 2007-06-18 16:13, JPK wrote:
>> Victor Bazarov wrote:
>>> JPK wrote:
>>> printed on. Stop looking for one, your time is more valuable, start
>>> working on a project instead.

>> You mean working for free? Getting involved in some project where
>> they do not pay?The problem is a circular problem: cannot get a
>> programming job -> dont have a good resume -> cannot get a
>> programming job .... you know what I mean? ...

> Now that's an idea, there are lots of places where they would love
> some extra help. Go to sourceforge or freshmeat and find a project
> that seems interesting, find a bug or something to add in that
> project and submit patches. If you are good you will get your code
> committed and when your potential employer asks you about your
> previous experiences you can claim you have been working on open
> source projects, while it might not be as good as paid work you don't
> have to pay for it and your potential employer might value actual
> code more than papers (I probably would).

thanks for an idea