Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Flash drives

Flash drives

Gordon

Do flash drives fail? Do they deteriorate with time? (Or haven't they been
around long enough for anyone to find out?)

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Gordon wrote:
> Do flash drives fail? Do they deteriorate with time? (Or haven't they been
> around long enough for anyone to find out?)

Are you expecting everlasting permanence from electronics?

Gordon

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Gordon wrote:
>> Do flash drives fail? Do they deteriorate with time? (Or haven't they
>> been around long enough for anyone to find out?)

> Are you expecting everlasting permanence from electronics?

No, but just wondering how their longevity and data retention compares with
(say) CD/DVD disks or external HDD....

Cub

news:(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> Gordon wrote:
>>> Do flash drives fail? Do they deteriorate with time? (Or haven't they
>>> been around long enough for anyone to find out?)

>> Are you expecting everlasting permanence from electronics?
>>

> No, but just wondering how their longevity and data retention compares
> with (say) CD/DVD disks or external HDD....

Cub

news:(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> Gordon wrote:
>>> Do flash drives fail? Do they deteriorate with time? (Or haven't they
>>> been around long enough for anyone to find out?)

>> Are you expecting everlasting permanence from electronics?
>>

> No, but just wondering how their longevity and data retention compares
> with (say) CD/DVD disks or external HDD....

R/W operation:1,000,000 times; Data retension:10 years

do a google , this was on the first page , i guess the more you pay in some
cases the better the components

cub

Cub

"Cub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>>>
>>> Are you expecting everlasting permanence from electronics?
>>>

>> No, but just wondering how their longevity and data retention compares
>> with (say) CD/DVD disks or external HDD....
>>

> R/W operation:1,000,000 times; Data retension:10 years
>
> do a google , this was on the first page , i guess the more you pay in
> some cases the better the components
>

> cub

BTW

If you back up on to several pen drives the chances of all failing would be
??? very small i guess

al jones

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 08:53:11 +0100, Gordon wrote:

> Do flash drives fail? Do they deteriorate with time? (Or haven't they been
> around long enough for anyone to find out?)

Don't know about long term retention but I know mine's been through the
washer twice and the dryer(!) once with no ill affects. Even cleaned the
outside nicely, though I wouldn't recomment it as a regular means of
cleaning.

Aardvark

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 10:56:23 +0100, Cub wrote:

>> No, but just wondering how their longevity and data retention compares
>> with (say) CD/DVD disks or external HDD....
>>

> R/W operation:1,000,000 times; Data retension:10 years

The word was correctly spelled right above and still you couldn't get it
right.

RETENTION

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007.1 and Ubuntu 7.04

the other English teams put together

Plato

Gordon wrote:

> Do flash drives fail? Do they deteriorate with time? (Or haven't they been
> around long enough for anyone to find out?)

Yes they have a limited life span, just like any other PC device.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/