Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon Powershot SD1000

Canon Powershot SD1000

P.Schuman

well - just got the SD1000 for father's day.
Have not cracked the box & seal as yet... just reading the various reviews,
etc
Currently have an old Olympus Stylus zoom 115

The Canon sure sounds great

Eric Lew

P.Schuman wrote:
> well - just got the SD1000 for father's day.
> Have not cracked the box & seal as yet... just reading the various reviews,
> etc
> Currently have an old Olympus Stylus zoom 115
>
> The Canon sure sounds great

I got the Canon SD1000 recently. Image quality is quite decent for such
a small PS. I was expecting soft corners, and I am pleasantly surprised
by the corner sharpness. Chromatic aberration is present as expected,
but it is not too bad.

On the downside, my SD1000's metering is sometimes crazy. In bright
light, the camera would select a very high shutter speed (such as 1/1000
instead of 125), resulting in very dark pictures. This is independent
of camera settings - auto mode, "manual" mode, evaluative,
center-weighted, spot metering, ...

Also, the video recording in bright scenes invariably picks up a lot of
flare. A white T-shirt in bright sunlight would create a big vertical
band of light. Totally useless. Video indoors is much better because
the flare is not present.

I'm thinking of returning the camera because of these two flaws. If
these are isolated problems, I may ask to exchange my camera for a new
one, hoping that the latter will not exhibit these flaws.