Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Re: Wifi access with Windows 95

Re: Wifi access with Windows 95

Ian.

Hello,

I have a Toshiba P1 laptop here with Windows 95 and a Belkin PCMCIA
Wifi NIC. Ive successfully connected to my home network including
enabling it as and internet sharing client. The internet sharing
host is a P11 desktop running Win98SE. I have Opera on the laptop
but no IE.

I now want to use it to access the Wifi connection at my local
library but Im hitting a problem. The NIC appears to be linking
OK to the library access point using the SSID supplied by the staff
there. Im pretty sure I had a good connection. Trouble is, thats
as far as I could get. The library staff were no further help,
they only know about Win2000 and XP.

My understanding is that I should see some sort of login screen
when I start up my browser, Opera. I think this is supposed to
replace the "Home page" of the browser. I dont understand the
mechanism involved in this and its not happening. Opera just
times out looking. Ive tried pinging ftp.demon.co.uk, just to
test the connection but its not recogised. I dont know whether
this is a Win95 problem, an Opera problem or what.

Any advise on solving this would be appreciated. Ive be looking
around on the web for leads but so far have found none.

--
Ian.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
You have to use the Wireless utility that probably comes with the Wireless
card since Win95/98 does not have native Wireless utility.
I do not know how your home network is configured, but if you do not have a
Router (Access Point) you probably use Ad-Hoc connection and you have to
change the configuration while in the library to infrastructure.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 17-Jun-2007, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) ("Ian.") wrote:

> Any advise on solving this would be appreciated. Ive be looking
> around on the web for leads but so far have found none.

Try pinging by IP address. This bypasses DNS which resolves
names to IP addresses.
I think MiniStumbler works with Win95 and some Belkin adapters.
If so it should tell you what wireless networks your laptop can see.
Probably your problem is that you are configured
Gateway address
Local m/c IP address
DNS server(s)
Subnet mask
etc
and some of these IP address numbers aren't valid
for your library network.
I know how to set up XP, but am not familiar with
how you change things under Win95.
Main thing to find is the gateway, that gets you
to the DHCP server which should lease your local m/c an IP
address (assuming you haven't used a static ip address).
If those IP addresses work you should be able to ping
by number, but not necessarily by name.
So try pinging the gateway address.
The DNS server may or may not be the same address
as the gateway.
Google for MiniStumbler and NetStumbler, I think
only MiniStumbler works under Win95.
http://www.stumbler.net/compat/
NB there are two default IP address ranges, it help if
m/c's are singing from the sake hymn book, one
range
10.0.0.0 to 10.0.0.255
or
192.168.0.0 to 192.168.0.255
and the libraries gateway address is something
they may have chosen for themselves.

Ian.

(E-Mail Removed) "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)." wrote:

J> You have to use the Wireless utility that probably comes with the Wireless
J> card since Win95/98 does not have native Wireless utility.
J> I do not know how your home network is configured, but if you do not have a
J> Router (Access Point) you probably use Ad-Hoc connection and you have to
J> change the configuration while in the library to infrastructure.
J> Jack (MVP-Networking).

Thanks for the reply. Ive got this sorted now. I think my main
problem was that I wasnt 100% sure that this was possible. Now
it works fine. Feedback always helps.

J> ""Ian."" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

J> > I have a Toshiba P1 laptop here with Windows 95 and a Belkin PCMCIA
J> > Wifi NIC. Ive successfully connected to my home network including
J> > enabling it as and internet sharing client. The internet sharing
J> > host is a P11 desktop running Win98SE. I have Opera on the laptop
J> > but no IE.
J> >
J> > I now want to use it to access the Wifi connection at my local
J> > library but Im hitting a problem. The NIC appears to be linking
J> > OK to the library access point using the SSID supplied by the staff
J> > there. Im pretty sure I had a good connection. Trouble is, thats
J> > as far as I could get. The library staff were no further help,
J> > they only know about Win2000 and XP.
J> >
J> > My understanding is that I should see some sort of login screen
J> > when I start up my browser, Opera. I think this is supposed to
J> > replace the "Home page" of the browser. I dont understand the
J> > mechanism involved in this and its not happening. Opera just
J> > times out looking. Ive tried pinging ftp.demon.co.uk, just to
J> > test the connection but its not recogised. I dont know whether
J> > this is a Win95 problem, an Opera problem or what.
J> >
J> > Any advise on solving this would be appreciated. Ive be looking
J> > around on the web for leads but so far have found none.

--
Ian.

Ian.

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

a@h> Try pinging by IP address. This bypasses DNS which resolves
a@h> names to IP addresses.

Ive tried a lot more things now and its working. Thanks for the reply.
Actually the DNS was resolving ok. Either the ping was not leaving
the libraries system, or its results not getting back. Dunno which,
but I suspect the libraries firewall has something to do with it.
I was successful at pinging the Gateway and the two DNS by number
but that was all. Anyway Pop3 seems to be ok. The trick with accessing
the web was that everything had to go through a proxy. One cant access
the web directly. Havnt tried any other ports yet.

a@h> I think MiniStumbler works with Win95 and some Belkin adapters.
a@h> If so it should tell you what wireless networks your laptop can see.

Im going to investigate this, thanks. ATM the NIC just latches into
one signal, the strongest, I suppose. If there was another network
there, Ive no way of telling.

a@h> I know how to set up XP, but am not familiar with
a@h> how you change things under Win95.

Bit of this and a bit of that, it turns out.

a@h> Main thing to find is the gateway, that gets you
a@h> to the DHCP server which should lease your local m/c an IP
a@h> address (assuming you haven't used a static ip address).

ipconfig turned out to be useful.

a@h> NB there are two default IP address ranges, it help if
a@h> m/c's are singing from the sake hymn book, one
a@h> range
a@h> 10.0.0.0 to 10.0.0.255
a@h> or
a@h> 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.0.255
a@h> and the libraries gateway address is something
a@h> they may have chosen for themselves.

turned out to be 10.216.150.254. I dont know whether thats a real
internet address or one reserved for local use.

--
Ian.