Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > International Space Station Computer Takes a Permanent Dump!

International Space Station Computer Takes a Permanent Dump!

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

dennis@home wrote:

>> If Rita would subscribe to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, she
>> might learn something about the reliability of WinXP--except,as she
>> has proved on several issues, she has nothing left to learn. She
>> must take great pleasure in always being right, even when she is
>> wrong. Windows is, overall, a good OS, but it shares a common trait
>> with all the software that I've dealt with going back to IBM 1401
>> days: they all will fail sometimes.
>> Allen

> All software fails at some time.. Its what happens when it does that
> determines how good the system is.
> Even the software on the telephone exchanges I worked on can fail..
> however there are inbuilt recovery mechanisms to ensure that there is
> little or no disruption to service.

Kinda like the old NEC 2400 switch, the damn things were indestructible.
The only problem was the damn two line analog and digital cards since I
could never stock enough of them. These damn things sold for a decent
price! I used to love stripping one of those systems down and selling off
all the parts. Don't know what OS was on the thing nor did I care since it
was all green to me at the end of the day.

Rita

Allen wrote:

> You know that, I know that, Rita does not know that.
> Allen

Don't bet the house on that!

Rita

acl

On Jun 17, 10:07 pm, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The ISS is the biggest space-based white elephant in the history of
> the program. $180B spent on nothing. They could have run DOZENS of
> good planetary missions for that cost. Rumour has it part of the
> reason for it's existence was to provide work for hundreds of out of
> work Russian nuclear scientists so they wouldn't go ply their trade
> with the Arabs.

And what, pray tell, does the ISS have to do with nuclear physics?\

l v

C J Campbell wrote:
> On 2007-06-17 04:04:48 -0700, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com>
> said:
>
>> Because it wasn't using Windows XP. So sad as this is just another
>> reason why Unix shouldn't be used for mission critical and life saving
>> applications.
>>

>> Rita

> It was a mistake to ever abandon EXEC. If the space station was using
> EXEC none of this would ever have happened.

Nah, they should have used VMS or better yet, zOS

--

Len

John Turco

On Jun 17, 7:34 am, "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Rita Berkowitz wrote:
> > Because it wasn't using Windows XP. So sad as this is just another
> > reason why Unix shouldn't be used for mission critical and life saving
> > applications.

<edited, for brevity>

> And what does this have to do with photography? When I
> call up WWV to set the time on my watch so I'll
> be at the right place at the right time for those sunrise
> photos, and I'm using Unix.
>
> On the Cassini spacecraft orbiting Saturn, we generate
> all our instrument commands using Linux; many other teams
> do to. So every time you see a picture from the Saturn
> orbiter, it was done with Linux.

<edited>

Hello, Roger:

What? You're a big, bad NASA scientist, and yet, can't afford
an "atomic" wristwatch?

Get a cheap Casio (under $30 USD), as I, myself, did, last
year. <g>

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>