Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > International Space Station Computer Takes a Permanent Dump!

International Space Station Computer Takes a Permanent Dump!

Nervous Nick

On Jun 17, 7:34 am, "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>

> On the Cassini spacecraft orbiting Saturn, we generate
> all our instrument commands using Linux; many other teams
> do to.

Holy bejesus! What kind of ISP do you have, that allows you to post
from so far away?!

Oh and, btw, do you have a brother named Arthur C.?

;>)

--
YOP...

Nicko

Paul Allen

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 17:55:02 -0400
Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

> Paul Allen wrote:
>
> >> On the Cassini spacecraft orbiting Saturn, we generate
> >> all our instrument commands using Linux; many other teams
> >> do to. So every time you see a picture from the Saturn
> >> orbiter, it was done with Linux.

> > And let's not forget the time the so-called "smart ship" USS
> > Yorktown had to be towed back into port because the crash of
> > a Windows box shut down its propulsion control system.

> The problem was narrowed down to the use of AMD processors.

You have no shame, have you?

> > Rita knows Windows is not appropriate for mission-critical
> > control systems. She's just trolling.

> Huh? Windows and Intel are an unbeatable and bulletproof combination.

Intel makes OK hardware, but Windows is bulletproof? Would be nice
if it were so, but it obviously isn't.

Paul Allen

C J Campbell

On 2007-06-17 04:04:48 -0700, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> said:

> Because it wasn't using Windows XP. So sad as this is just another
> reason why Unix shouldn't be used for mission critical and life saving
> applications.
>

> Rita

It was a mistake to ever abandon EXEC. If the space station was using
EXEC none of this would ever have happened.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

ray

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 17:52:59 -0400, Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

> ray wrote:
>
>>> Because it wasn't using Windows XP. So sad as this is just another
>>> reason why Unix shouldn't be used for mission critical and life
>>> saving applications.

>> That is not true, and you should know it. At White Sands Missile
>> Range all the mission critical apps are run on Unix and Linux. Almost
>> all scientific data analysis is too. Critical software development
>> and support is so much better with *nix.

> Maybe this is why the "Scud Busters" of the first Gulf war were such a
> failure and couldn't distinguish between a Scud and an F-16 only to lock
> onto friendly aircraft and destroy them?
>
> As for scientific data analysis, the best data acquisition cards and
> programs are designed for DOS and Windows.

I'm so glad you believe that - it gives me much perspective on your
intelligence.

> Rita

Allen

Paul Allen wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 17:55:02 -0400
> Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

>>> And let's not forget the time the so-called "smart ship" USS
>>> Yorktown had to be towed back into port because the crash of
>>> a Windows box shut down its propulsion control system.

>> The problem was narrowed down to the use of AMD processors.

> You have no shame, have you?
>
>>> Rita knows Windows is not appropriate for mission-critical
>>> control systems. She's just trolling.

>> Huh? Windows and Intel are an unbeatable and bulletproof combination.

> Intel makes OK hardware, but Windows is bulletproof? Would be nice
> if it were so, but it obviously isn't.
>
> Paul Allen

If Rita would subscribe to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, she might
learn something about the reliability of WinXP--except,as she has proved
on several issues, she has nothing left to learn. She must take great
pleasure in always being right, even when she is wrong. Windows is,
overall, a good OS, but it shares a common trait with all the software
that I've dealt with going back to IBM 1401 days: they all will fail
sometimes.
Allen

Nervous Nick wrote:
> On Jun 17, 7:34 am, "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> On the Cassini spacecraft orbiting Saturn, we generate
>> all our instrument commands using Linux; many other teams
>> do to.

> Holy bejesus! What kind of ISP do you have, that allows you to post
> from so far away?!

NASA

> Oh and, btw, do you have a brother named Arthur C.?

Nope. No relation.

Roger

John McWilliams

Allen wrote:
> Paul Allen wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 17:55:02 -0400
>> Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

>>> Huh? Windows and Intel are an unbeatable and bulletproof combination.

>> Intel makes OK hardware, but Windows is bulletproof? Would be nice
>> if it were so, but it obviously isn't.
>>
>> Paul Allen

> If Rita would subscribe to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, she might
> learn something about the reliability of WinXP--except,as she has proved
> on several issues, she has nothing left to learn. She must take great
> pleasure in always being right, even when she is wrong. Windows is,
> overall, a good OS, but it shares a common trait with all the software
> that I've dealt with going back to IBM 1401 days: they all will fail
> sometimes.

Berkowitz is rpd's resident - uh, troll isn't quite right; kook isn't on
the money fully, well, eccentric wannabe pet is closer. "She" is capable
of real analysis, can be very articulate and helpful; but goes off on
jags of hyperbole and is <<un agent provacateur>> of sorts. Likes a lot
of attention.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

--
john mcwilliams

dennis@home

"Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4675f02e$0$20553$(E-Mail Removed)...

> If Rita would subscribe to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, she might
> learn something about the reliability of WinXP--except,as she has proved
> on several issues, she has nothing left to learn. She must take great
> pleasure in always being right, even when she is wrong. Windows is,
> overall, a good OS, but it shares a common trait with all the software
> that I've dealt with going back to IBM 1401 days: they all will fail
> sometimes.
> Allen

All software fails at some time.. Its what happens when it does that
determines how good the system is.
Even the software on the telephone exchanges I worked on can fail.. however
there are inbuilt recovery mechanisms to ensure that there is little or no
disruption to service.

thepixelfreak

On 2007-06-17 11:07:04 -0700, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> On Jun 17, 7:04 am, Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
>> Because it wasn't using Windows XP. So sad as this is just another reason
>> why Unix shouldn't be used for mission critical and life saving
>> applications.
>>
>> Rita

> The ISS is the biggest space-based white elephant in the history of
> the program. $180B spent on nothing. They could have run DOZENS of
> good planetary missions for that cost. Rumour has it part of the
> reason for it's existence was to provide work for hundreds of out of
> work Russian nuclear scientists so they wouldn't go ply their trade
> with the Arabs.

Congress had to vote on one of two projects for funding.

ISS _or_ The SuperConducting Super Collider (see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scsc)

ISS got the money ;+(
--

thepixelfreak

Allen

dennis@home wrote:
> "Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4675f02e$0$20553$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> If Rita would subscribe to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, she might
>> learn something about the reliability of WinXP--except,as she has proved
>> on several issues, she has nothing left to learn. She must take great
>> pleasure in always being right, even when she is wrong. Windows is,
>> overall, a good OS, but it shares a common trait with all the software
>> that I've dealt with going back to IBM 1401 days: they all will fail
>> sometimes.
>> Allen

> All software fails at some time.. Its what happens when it does that
> determines how good the system is.
> Even the software on the telephone exchanges I worked on can fail.. however
> there are inbuilt recovery mechanisms to ensure that there is little or no
> disruption to service.

You know that, I know that, Rita does not know that.
Allen