Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > How can I improve my C++?

Reply
Thread Tools

How can I improve my C++?

 
 
tony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2007
Hi,
now I've known the basics about C++. What I can do is pretty limited.
I've known something in Java:
1.Networking(Socket, RMI, Servlet)
2.Database(JDBC)
3.GUI (Java Swing)
4.and some others APIs...
I'm wondering how can I do all of the above in C++.
And I've heard that reading source codes can help one
improve its programming skills, but I don't know how to
read them.
Please help me! Thank you!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Harrison
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2007
tony wrote:
> Hi,
> now I've known the basics about C++. What I can do is pretty limited.
> I've known something in Java:
> 1.Networking(Socket, RMI, Servlet)
> 2.Database(JDBC)
> 3.GUI (Java Swing)
> 4.and some others APIs...
> I'm wondering how can I do all of the above in C++.
> And I've heard that reading source codes can help one
> improve its programming skills, but I don't know how to
> read them.
> Please help me! Thank you!


Well the big difference between Java and C++ is that Java is paltform
independent and C++ isn't (or, as they say, Java is a platform). All of
those things can be done in C++ but they would be done differently if
you were programming Windows, Linux or whatever.

So the best thing is to decide what platofrm you want to program for,
and then take your question to the appropriate group.

comp.os.linux.deveopment.apps or comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32

for instance.

I would have thought that reading books would help more than reading
source code, but perhaps that is just me.

john
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
gordon.is.a.moron@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2007
On Jun 17, 5:31 pm, tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
> now I've known the basics about C++. What I can do is pretty limited.
> I've known something in Java:
> 1.Networking(Socket, RMI, Servlet)
> 2.Database(JDBC)
> 3.GUI (Java Swing)
> 4.and some others APIs...
> I'm wondering how can I do all of the above in C++.
> And I've heard that reading source codes can help one
> improve its programming skills, but I don't know how to
> read them.
> Please help me! Thank you!


The difference with Java is that you're given all of these API's as
part of Java itself, whereas in C++ you have various different
libraries to achieve these things. I'm from Java myself (er sounds
like a planet...) and plan to use WxWidgets, although I'm told it's a
very Java-like library, but I didn't have much choice. I wanted to use
Sockets and Threads using VS 2005 Express (no MFC...) and it seems to
have a good reputation.

If you have money to burn you might try MFC and other MS
libraries, .NET is very similar to Java, but covers more languages.
Although NET C++ is managed so it's not "real" C++. There are other
libraries like Qt and the like, I'm sure there are tons of open source
ones to choose from for GCC (can run on Win and Linux).

Gordy

 
Reply With Quote
 
tony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2007
John Harrison wrote:
> tony wrote:
>> Hi,
>> now I've known the basics about C++. What I can do is pretty limited.
>> I've known something in Java:
>> 1.Networking(Socket, RMI, Servlet)
>> 2.Database(JDBC)
>> 3.GUI (Java Swing)
>> 4.and some others APIs...
>> I'm wondering how can I do all of the above in C++.
>> And I've heard that reading source codes can help one
>> improve its programming skills, but I don't know how to
>> read them.
>> Please help me! Thank you!

>
> Well the big difference between Java and C++ is that Java is paltform
> independent and C++ isn't (or, as they say, Java is a platform). All of
> those things can be done in C++ but they would be done differently if
> you were programming Windows, Linux or whatever.
>


I think I would like to programme on Linux.

> So the best thing is to decide what platofrm you want to program for,
> and then take your question to the appropriate group.
>
> comp.os.linux.deveopment.apps or comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
>
> for instance.
>
> I would have thought that reading books would help more than reading
> source code, but perhaps that is just me.
>
> john


Actually, I don't know what books are good and suitable for me to read.
Do you have any suggestions?
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Harrison
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2007
>
> Actually, I don't know what books are good and suitable for me to read.
> Do you have any suggestions?


Without knowing more your current knowledge and what you're looking for
it's hard to be sure.

But you say you know the basics of C++, when I was in that position I
found the 'Effective' books by Scott Meyers extremely useful. In fact
say I'd those books taught me more C++ than anything else I've read.

'Effective C++' and 'More Effective C++' by Scott Meyers.

john
 
Reply With Quote
 
James Kanze
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2007
On Jun 17, 8:06 am, John Harrison <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> tony wrote:


> > now I've known the basics about C++. What I can do is pretty limited.
> > I've known something in Java:
> > 1.Networking(Socket, RMI, Servlet)
> > 2.Database(JDBC)
> > 3.GUI (Java Swing)
> > 4.and some others APIs...
> > I'm wondering how can I do all of the above in C++.
> > And I've heard that reading source codes can help one
> > improve its programming skills, but I don't know how to
> > read them.


> Well the big difference between Java and C++ is that Java is paltform
> independent and C++ isn't (or, as they say, Java is a platform). All of
> those things can be done in C++ but they would be done differently if
> you were programming Windows, Linux or whatever.


Not completely. The real difference is that Java provides
standard libraries for all of these things, where as in C++, you
need third party libraries. If I had to do a GUI in C++, for
example, I certainly wouldn't program Windows or X specific; I'd
use wxWidgets, or something along those lines.

--
James Kanze (Gabi Software) email: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Conseils en informatique orientée objet/
Beratung in objektorientierter Datenverarbeitung
9 place Sémard, 78210 St.-Cyr-l'École, France, +33 (0)1 30 23 00 34

 
Reply With Quote
 
voger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2007
John Harrison wrote:


>
> 'Effective C++' and 'More Effective C++' by Scott Meyers.
>


Just a clarification here please. One should read both of them
or just one of them? 'More Effective C++' is the sequel of 'Effective C++'
or is just the improved version?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jerry Coffin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2007
In article <f53nm3$229j$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> John Harrison wrote:
>
>
> >
> > 'Effective C++' and 'More Effective C++' by Scott Meyers.
> >

>
> Just a clarification here please. One should read both of them
> or just one of them? 'More Effective C++' is the sequel of 'Effective C++'
> or is just the improved version?


It's a sequel. The "improved version" is the third edition of _Effective
C++_.

--
Later,
Jerry.

The universe is a figment of its own imagination.
 
Reply With Quote
 
tony
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2007
John Harrison wrote:
>>
>> Actually, I don't know what books are good and suitable for me to read.
>> Do you have any suggestions?

>
> Without knowing more your current knowledge and what you're looking for
> it's hard to be sure.
>
> But you say you know the basics of C++, when I was in that position I
> found the 'Effective' books by Scott Meyers extremely useful. In fact
> say I'd those books taught me more C++ than anything else I've read.
>
> 'Effective C++' and 'More Effective C++' by Scott Meyers.
>
> john


Thank you for your advice!

Tony
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
How can i improve the look of my table easily? salmondays2000@yahoo.co.uk HTML 10 11-19-2005 10:07 PM
Sony DSC-T1 poor image quality. How can I improve? Bill Digital Photography 2 05-10-2004 08:18 AM
How can I improve streams performance? Roy Smith C++ 10 11-24-2003 11:09 PM
Can I improve my MJPG VIDEO Quality with software? lbbs Digital Photography 6 07-02-2003 06:37 PM



Advertisments